1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

You're powerless after a huge storm, can you survive?

Discussion in 'Making A Living' started by quad8, Sep 13, 2017.

?
  1. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sure

100.0%
  3. Perhaps or maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. quad8

quad8 Another Easy Rider
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    CEO of Quad 8 Studios
    Address:
    Brunswick, GA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +191 / -10
    I basically created a poll to try to get some information as to anyone that knows how to survive on limited electricity/power, whether traveling or otherwise. Now here's my take on it:

This is not the first time that I experienced being forced to go days without power. Last year, it was Brunswick, Jacksonville, and Savannah that took a hard hit from the Matthew hurricane. I spent 3 and a half days on limited power. Fast-forwarding to at this time, Irma destroyed power shortly before 5 AM three days ago.

Survival-wise, I filled up several Ziploc bags with water and kept them in the freezer long enough to become solid ice. I didn't think I was able to afford a generator, so all I got to stay mobile was my SUV and a 140 watt inverter for recharging, and a 20000 mAh power bank. I also made sure my smartphone was configured to tether 4G internet access in the event of an internet outage. In and out, I been using PDANet to do the trick. I don't use a lot of 4G mobile data since they're metered a lot. Last but not least, I did pull a large amount of money before the storm entered. It paid off, sure enough because some of the stores around me did reopen when I needed to buy some goods - however, many of them had to take cash payments only. There has been numerous times that I would also have to take about 2 to 4 cold showers a day to stay cool in the heat.

Personally I believe that regardless of whether or not actions speak louder than words, it's pretty damn good to take a break from services since it gives me a chance to shake off some stress. I still think it will take even more learning for me in order to get used to living off the streets or living off the land, which ever.

Okay, so that is my take on making a concerted effort to try to survive a few days without services. What are your thoughts?! GO!

• Like Like x 4
    • Epic Epic x 1
    #1 quad8, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. landpirate

landpirate campervan untilising nomadic traveller
    Staff Member Moderator

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    scavenger/pirate/rum taster/occasional farm monkey
    Ratings:
    +1,580 / -4
    I regularly go without power when I'm in my van and in the middle of nowhere and it really doesn't bother me, but water is the thing that stresses me out. If I don't know how or where to get drinking water I really get worried.

I'm not gonna die from having no electricity but no water is a different matter. That's my thoughts anyway.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DrewSTNY

DrewSTNY Sir Posts a Lot
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Aged, Sage-like Enginerd
    Address:
    Gang Mills, NY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +225 / -2
    Water is the tough one. Can pretty much make do otherwise even in the winter.

From personal experience working at a kids camp, we did some cool stuff to keep going after storms would knock out power for a few days. Dry ice in the freezers (don't close the door on anyone inside or stay in there long), empty the ice machine into 55 gallon drums and put them in the cooler then pack all the food in and around the drums. We went for almost a week before power came back, but the kids didn't care at all. Freezers stayed below freezing and the cooler stayed under 45*F, but it was close to where we would have to start making an epic buffet or throw everything out.

It was a really cool experience although I wouldn't willingly repeat it.

Also, we had a 10000 gallon water tank that we shut off everything except the kitchen and a couple of toilets to save water and go as long as possible. If that ran out, we would have had to shut down camp.

Personally, we stay stocked with enough food for about a month although it gets pretty boring at the end of the month. Having enough water would definitely be the issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tatanka

Tatanka Can't get enough of the site

Achievements:
    Address:
    Wapwallopen, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +675 / -20
    Pretty sad personally how addicted to electricity everyone is. My family acted like it was purgatory. I spend more time without it. I didn't grow up off grid. But I worked towards being comfortable without and now it's basically preference personally and for the moral duty to the earth. I still use it in moderation when at friends and family or a room or something but god damn do I feel disconnected from the ground. Waters a bitch. But that's what you get with over populated parts of the country. You can't just go acquire it wildly. Your city waters bad for you anyway. This is Mother Nature getting to the end of her rope with selfish gluttonous human beings. Who wouldn't fight back when being taken advantage of? I don't feel that bad for anyone.Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Coywolf

Coywolf Sir Drinks-A-Lot
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Seasonal Park Ranger
    Address:
    Moab, UT, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +610 / -13
    This is exactly the reason I am going to be stocking up on solar. I just bough a 15 watt PanaL for my pack, and when I get land the first thing going in is a solar bank.

Also, potatoes, lots of in-line potatoes ;)

6. Freerange

Freerange is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Painter, gardener, recycler
    Address:
    Salem, OR, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    Resourceful and resilient, nice work.

7. Tatanka

Tatanka Can't get enough of the site

Achievements:
    Address:
    Wapwallopen, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +675 / -20
    @Coywolf I carry a little panel again. Got small carabiners to attach to my pack In direction of sun. Solar is so affordable nowadays. Little solar radios and mini lights that supply enough for a small cabin to read or see to do stuff

• Like Like x 1
  8. paiche

paiche Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    Address:
    Winthrop, ME, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    Depends on where you are and what kind of storm your talking about, here we get blizzards and ice storms. When I had a house the first thing I did was put in a wood stove. With a wood stove in the north you are all set in most imaginable situations. Now that I don't have a house and I live in this oil burning, town water dependent typical poor design of a house where I can't bust a hole in the roof and put in a wood stove I would be screwed. I guess there's a generator in the shed, we'd figure something out.