Your views on green anarchy?

Beer Mortal

Reaction score
Id really like to know your take or ideas on green anarchy
the idea of getting closer to the earth, not so much primitivism or anti civilization (those are a bit more extreme green anarchy views)
its more about the environmental issues.
Obviously im not fully about primitivism because im using a computer (not on a daily basis but often)
I just like the ideals, and i love this planet.
how do you guys feel about this school of thought?
against? for? unsure?:confused:

Reactions: roadbike

FreeBHamster

Reaction score
Personally i am all for anti-civilization and primitivism, but for most people myself included its not necessarily the easiest ideal to put into action right away. But any sort of step in that general direction i am all for, whether it means growing your own food, guerrilla gardening, dumpstering, bikes instead of cars. Basically finding that balance between changing your own actions and impacts on our natural world as well as fighting and taking direct action against those who are destroying our environment. There is nothing more beautiful than our natural world. Hell yeah green anarchy!

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Someone once told me I was (or called me) a green anarchist. I don't know. I think you have values and ideals, can't really subscribe to a label or category. Everything is fluid, the second you try to define something, it slips away.

But anyways, I don't think "getting closer to the Earth" is something you can believe in or not. You can live in harmony with nature or not. Our current civilization is living in discord with nature, and we see the consequences all around us. I think it's the only way to live if we (and most other life) are to continue to live.

Beer Mortal

Reaction score
Personally i am all for anti-civilization and primitivism, but for most people myself included its not necessarily the easiest ideal to put into action right away. But any sort of step in that general direction i am all for, whether it means growing your own food, guerrilla gardening, dumpstering, bikes instead of cars. Basically finding that balance between changing your own actions and impacts on our natural world as well as fighting and taking direct action against those who are destroying our environment. There is nothing more beautiful than our natural world. Hell yeah green anarchy!
I agree.
i am all for riding my bike (I dont plan on owning a car) or skateboard everywhere i have to go.
im hoping to grown my own food too soon but that is very hard in a apartment area with shitty surroundings and im sure the lot of us dumpster (its always fun, once i found lollipops)
i am very respectful to the planet
im happy to see someone with the same views

Beer Mortal

Reaction score
Someone once told me I was (or called me) a green anarchist. I don't know. I think you have values and ideals, can't really subscribe to a label or category. Everything is fluid, the second you try to define something, it slips away.

But anyways, I don't think "getting closer to the Earth" is something you can believe in or not. You can live in harmony with nature or not. Our current civilization is living in discord with nature, and we see the consequences all around us. I think it's the only way to live if we (and most other life) are to continue to live.
Your right, well lets just say im into respecting mother earth much more than the mass.
taking action to keep from harming it.

sharks77

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i think it's a pretty sad statement about the condition of humanity if not fucking up the earth is something people have to consciously decide to do, and doing so makes them seem "out there" to the majority of people.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
It's very sad. Unfortunately, we are conditioned from a young age to be integrated into this wasteful system of consumption. Advertising agencies employ developmental psychologists to exploit the vulnerabilites of young minds. Consumerism is literally built into the mental foundation of most people in the western (and ever expanding eastern) world. To ask people not to shop, not to waste, not to give into their ever changing fabricated wants of novelty is asking them to go against the only thing they know, everything they have built their lives around and gives them security. Anything that goes against that is incredibly threatening. The "green" movement has been flipped and exploited to just consume more. At this point, the only thing I see waking people up is something painful, terrifying and disasterous. But by the time we reach that point, it will be too late. The real potential for revolution I see is dangling a carrot, rather than by use of force. If more and more people stop "producing" for the system, stop merely living off societies waste (dumpstering, etc.), but becoming self sufficient, integrating hunting, gathering and agriculture, being healthier, happier, peaceful, harmonious with nature, the more people will be attracted to that. I'm trying to move in that direction, but I also think it's probably a pipe dream.

sharks77

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i was thinking about this the other day and i came to the conclusion that we should just hurry up and destroy ourselves already. i was watching a show on the science channel the other day about global warming's effect on the planet and they talked about all of the periods of global warming and cooling (ice ages, etc) that the planet has dealt with in the past. the planet itself will be fine. it's only people (and certain parts of the current natural world) that are getting fucked by all of the shit we're doing to the earth. once people finish doing whatever it is we're doing, and we all die out for whatever reason (which will happen one day) then the earth will recover relatively quickly. whatever plant and animal life is left will continue to adapt and evolve, except they will no longer have humans here to fuck with them and mess everything up.

i honestly believe humanity is so far gone at this point, that the real only hope for the planet is if all of humanity is wiped out and the rest of life (whatever survives the thing that killed us) will keep on doing their thing. 99.99% of all the species that have ever lived are extinct at the moment so it's really just a matter of time... i hope it happens before too long (but after me and everybody i like is already dead anyways)

compass

Lost
Reaction score
I've definitely felt like you, and still do sometimes. I still have a little hope. I think it's just more reason to live life to the fullest, not neccessarily in a wreckless hedonistic manner, but to fulfill your values and ideals as best you can, to be constantly present and aware now, in the moment, and try to make the best of it.

Geoff

Reaction score
one of these day's i'm going to inherit around a hundred acres and a large house on that acrage and when that day comes you are all welcome to come live there for free as long as you help with the chores and growing of our food.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Right on! I'm planning on doing some WWOOFing in the relatively near future. There's an organic farm I've got my eye on that has the purpose of teaching people everything they need to know to start a farm from scratch, plus it's in an area I like and they pay a monthly stipend.

FreeBHamster

Reaction score
I agree.
i am all for riding my bike (I dont plan on owning a car) or skateboard everywhere i have to go.
im hoping to grown my own food too soon but that is very hard in a apartment area with shitty surroundings and im sure the lot of us dumpster (its always fun, once i found lollipops)
i am very respectful to the planet
im happy to see someone with the same views

Yeah i dont live in the best spot for growing a whole lot of food, but recently i started a decent sized container garden with various vegetables on a southern facing window. Super cheap and it at least cuts down some of my consumption and waste. And for sure good to know like minded people!

I still think its important to keep a certain amount of hope, positivity and all that good stuff. Sure inevitably we're all fucked but right now is all we've got, live it up and enjoy the present moment.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
For those who believe that civilization is a fatally-flawed way of living as humans, what are we willing to do about it?

Do we want to leave the experiment of civilization, let it continue to destroy all life around in while we try something else more sustainable? Or should we, perhaps, see that it's stopped before we move on?

Beer Mortal

Reaction score
fuckin' a. In Oregon, we have a bit of a bigger zine called Green Anarchy that comes out every season. Plus, im all about keeping oregon green.

Really? ive heard of that zine, would ya mind sending me a copy?
We dont have a zine like that here, im rpetty sure atleast.
FL is pretty dirty, even the beaches nowadays.
But when I do go to the beach i find myself picking up heaps of trash from tourists and jerks.
and finding a couple nice shells
:]

compass

Lost
Reaction score
For those who believe that civilization is a fatally-flawed way of living as humans, what are we willing to do about it?

Do we want to leave the experiment of civilization, let it continue to destroy all life around in while we try something else more sustainable? Or should we, perhaps, see that it's stopped before we move on?

Both.

E

ent_ink

Beer Mortal and others may be interested in this, on Strangers In A Tangled Wilderness, you'll have to google it I haven't the post numbers yet to put in links, in their Zines section are two called

Post-Civ!
Post-Civ! A Deeper Exploration

I have read through them and I like them but I don't support the implied idea of the abandonment of technology. I would rather a middle ground be sought. I like the idea of more low impact technology.

Traditionally computers had an awful amount of lead and mercury in them making them awful to scrap, better technology has knocked down the amount of lead and mercury used in them.

In the end and this is the big kicker for any country that wants to do this is you have be prepared to invest in R&D, problem is the return on them generally takes a while which is why capitalism prefers existing 'if it barely works technology' regardless of the ecological cost. (See Soviet Nuclear technology for the most extreme and god awful example - Of it barely works technology not capitalism)

moe

Reaction score
my take on all this,
is just the beginning of it.
im all anti-civilization, but i have quite alot more to read up on.
i would like to see a copy of that zine.=]

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads