Your favorite seasonal/holiday job(s)?

Threads
Current Location
Vancouver, WA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
If I'm gonna work some shit jobs I might as well do it in the prettiest places. What are/were some of your favorite seasonal jobs? Includes housing? I've been looking into winter jobs for ski resorts around CO, UT, & CA but I wanna know what other's have experienced with short stay work. Thanks y'all.

Threads
Current Location
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
I used to do nothing but seasonal work, on and off all year round - I picked daffodils every year for 17years straight - that was hard work in horrible weather but I enjoyed it because of the camaraderie - seasonal jobs tend to attract an ever changing crew of travelling types who are often interesting people....

I also worked the Glastonbury festival every year for a good while - that was good fun, the tatting (free stuff left behind) was incredible and again usually a good crew of people..

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
I work as a Park Ranger in the National Park Service.

There are many types of Rangers, I am a Backcountry Ranger.

Easy to get a Fee Collection or VSA position via UsaJobs.gov
The catch is, you cannot have a extensive criminal record....

Doesnt get more scenic that that ;)

Last edited:

Coywolf

StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
You also can work as a concessionaire at the private businesses in National Parks with companies such as Zanterra Delaware North and others.

Check out coolworks.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Threads
Current Location
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
@Coywolf - is the Backcountry Ranger gig a seasonal thing that you go back to each year ? how many weeks / months do you do a year ? just curious how it works....

Threads
Current Location
Daytona
Reactions
92% 0% 8%
i like growing weed all summer

Coywolf

StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
@Coywolf - is the Backcountry Ranger gig a seasonal thing that you go back to each year ? how many weeks / months do you do a year ? just curious how it works....
Yeah, its seasonal. I usually work about 6 months out of the year during the summer. I just got done the beginning of October

Threads
Current Location
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
sounds like a good balance 6 months work / 6 months to yourself.... I used to have a nice yearly cycle worked out - seasonal crop work in the spring, festival work in the summer, bit more crop work in the autumn, then in the winter we'd take our big motorhome and go over to Spain and Portugal trying to avoid the shitty English weather..... worked out great til my daughter reached school age.......

Threads
Current Location
Augusta GA, USA
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I work as a Park Ranger in the National Park Service.

There are many types of Rangers, I am a Backcountry Ranger.

Easy to get a Fee Collection or VSA position via UsaJobs.gov
The catch is, you cannot have a extensive criminal record....

Doesnt get more scenic that that ;)
ah man, that's where I'm tryin to be. I was doing the backcountry program with the CCC this season till I tore my ACL. Can I ask what steps you took to end with that job?

Coywolf

StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
ah man, that's where I'm tryin to be. I was doing the backcountry program with the CCC this season till I tore my ACL. Can I ask what steps you took to end with that job?
Sure man.

My first step was working for a conservation corps. Best work experience to have on your resume if you have no prior park experience or education.

The next step would be trying to volunteer for a federal agency in natural resource management. (National Park Service, BLM, Forest Service, Bureau of Reclemation, Army Corps of Engineers, ext.)

Check out Www.Volunteer.gov

Try to get gigs that state they come with housing and a monthly stipend. Some of those positions are bad ass (Wilderness/backcountry rangers, Interperative staff, Maintenence, Natual Resource/Wildlife...)

Then go onto Www.usajobs.gov and create a resume and start applying for jobs. The search feature can be hard to figure out. Just put in what agency (NPS, BLM, FS...) you want to apply for in the search bar, or where you want to work, or type of job (Backcountry, Interpretation, Maintenence...) and follow the easy application process online

It really isint that hard to land a job, it just might have to be a place/position that isint your #1 pick the first few times.

Threads
Current Location
Augusta GA, USA
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Sure man.

My first step was working for a conservation corps. Best work experience to have on your resume if you have no prior park experience or education.

The next step would be trying to volunteer for a federal agency in natural resource management. (National Park Service, BLM, Forest Service, Bureau of Reclemation, Army Corps of Engineers, ext.)

Check out Www.Volunteer.gov

Try to get gigs that state they come with housing and a monthly stipend. Some of those positions are bad ass (Wilderness/backcountry rangers, Interperative staff, Maintenence, Natual Resource/Wildlife...)

Then go onto Www.usajobs.gov and create a resume and start applying for jobs. The search feature can be hard to figure out. Just put in what agency (NPS, BLM, FS...) you want to apply for in the search bar, or where you want to work, or type of job (Backcountry, Interpretation, Maintenence...) and follow the easy application process online

It really isint that hard to land a job, it just might have to be a place/position that isint your #1 pick the first few times.
thanks, I appreciate it. I've got a season done in Colorado and if my leg heals by April I'm going to finish a back country season. Didn't know about the volunteer thing, that's helpful.

Coywolf

StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
thanks, I appreciate it. I've got a season done in Colorado and if my leg heals by April I'm going to finish a back country season. Didn't know about the volunteer thing, that's helpful.
What corps you in, man? SCC?

Threads
Current Location
Augusta GA, USA
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
What corps you in, man? SCC?
I'm in the CCC. well, kind of, I was an internet hire for the Cs backcountry program. After I tore my ACL though they couldn't put me in a center so I was medically seperated. Had to move back to GA cause i didnt have anywhere to go in cali. They say im gonna have a job when i can return to work with full duties, and a good chance I can come back to backcountry and finish the season. hope to god it all works out.