You are NOT a crusty.

Primitive

Reaction score
Sorry but if you're not actually into crust, you're not a crust punk. Are crust punk and crust punk two things that are actually related? Or not? Discuss...

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
question: is that a rat on your shoulder?

to answer you, crust punk and crust punk may or may not be two things that are actually related and I guess that might depend on how many crust punks I can crust punk at the end of the day. But I do believe they both sound somewhat similar. don't get me wrong, I think it's still a valid concern.

Vulture

Reaction score
@Primitive, I'd rate your post confusing, but since I don't know shit about punk crust, crust punk, or shoulder rat poop I'll avoid all of that.

But tell me...Who the fuck are you telln' me to discuss?
It made sense to me. It is the aesthetic of the music. So I figure those who meet the aesthetic, like I am finding myself, but don't listen to the music may irratate those who do. And also it has become wayyyy to colloquial as an adjective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Primitive

Primitive

Reaction score
Yes that is a rat! Crust was also meant to be strictly an anarchist counter-culture, even that can be slightly debated tho, but at least be into the music if you're going to claim to be a "crusty". And there is a label for those people that say they have no labels, it's called "nolabs" ;) also this idea of non-conformity as an absolutist and universal tendency is pure bullshit, if you don't choose what to become a part of, and dont conciously mold yourself/choose what molds you, than this society/culture will mold you, one way or the other, no matter how disillusioned you may be with this idea that "you're your own person". Which is one reason that building cultures of resistance is so mandatory.

Last edited:

6bummin6it6

Reaction score
everything is crust, nothing is crust, pizza has crust, what the fuck is the difference and who the fuck cares?

people need groups and labels, its human instinct to try and fit in with the tribe, thats how our ancestors stayed alive. the only difference is now its all clouded with social politics and elitists and punk points and cultures and sub cultures and bullshit.

i'd say most people who know nothing about crust punk music say they're crust punks because its easy. they see bands wearing the same shit they are and smelling the same way so rather than look for another term they just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind, crust.

if we really wanna get into it, what even is crust? there is a ratio of punk to metal and is crust, too much metal and its just metal, not enough metal and its just punk. but don't forget the anarchist beliefs.

ignore this terrible rant. i agree, regardless of what you look like, if you don't listen to crust and understand why its called crust punk then you aren't crust. and thats okay, i'm not a crust punk, i like the music, i listen to it all the time but its not what i identify the most with.

A

Adnil

I've been listening to crust punk since my freshman year and still don't consider myself one. Simply because I enjoy a specific music genre (which my taste is large) doesn't directly place me as a part of that community. I agree with you on many aspects of your speech, but don't agree completely. As an outfit does not make the character, neither does taste in music. Besides, there are many folks out there who either do their homework to the max in order to gain "crust points", and others who enjoy the music and "label" but are hypocritical with their actions and beliefs. The pioneers were peace punk anarchist activist more determined to spread their message than concerned of what category they were labeled in. Gutter punk, crust punk, anarcho punk, peace punk, street punk, train kids, they intertwine quite often and will continuously hold posers- debating about it won't exactly fix that.

bystander

Reaction score
Perspective is everything I do believe.

I am neither crust nor punk- though I do enjoy some of the fashionable items themed in a punk way. I do not conform to any particular style I would say; because really I have no style.

What keeps being said: "humans want to fit in" very true & most of us do- with everybody. Big/small/green/brown/white/gray/four-eyed/gay/straight/etc

-those- select few I've noticed calling peoples bullshit, calling people posers; usually are the ones who have themselves been called those thing or feel they have some entitlement to some group of people that like the same shit.

Trying to prove: they an't no poser ass motherfucker- fuck yea we live this shit, die this shit.

You don't have to conform to shit, if you really don't want to. You simply fall into the path of least resistance: Big/small/green/brown/white/gray/four-eyed/gay/straight/etc.

we are who ever the fuck we are.

You pick & choose what the fuck you wanna dress this pretty little life up as.

fuck tha h8ers

If I don't like yea then fuck it I don't need to talk to yea.

people always thinking they need to be liked & thinking they need to like someone.

Let me keep on moving and you stay right the fuck there.

---

For real though I'm not hating on no-one. Just my thought on the whole idea. Humans need to learn to find their own fuckin' business I do believe. If you become interested in something then whats it to me? You can still eat a pizza w/out eatin' the crust right? You can't have one w/out the other?

Last edited:
Reactions: msre and Odin

Primitive

Reaction score
I wouldn't agree at all with the calling posers being immature, insecure, etc. Because people will water a scene down to a fake meaningless fashion trend if it's not maintained. Maintained by being exclusive. Back in the day scenes were waaay different then they are today. Particularly because anyone can just go online, and "learn" about a scene there, and they're part of it now. You get into scenes by hanging around long enough and learning from others directly. Now everything is loose as a fuckhole and ass backwards. Punks don't live on the streets anymore (hardly at least), all music scenes have dramatically stepped away from radical politics, for the most part, kids who do squat/travel etc. Rarely would consider themselves punk (when back in the day that scene dominated the streets pretty much). And of course listening to crust doesn't make you a crusty, and real crusties usual listen to lots of types of music to, I could argue all day about beliefs, lifestyle, mentality, etc. Making someone crust, but that would be rather pointless. Instead I think it needs to be widely known that at the very least, it starts with the music.

Primitive

Reaction score
And I've heard way too many self-proclaimed "crusties" say "I don't care about labels, this is dumb, who cares, etc" when ive brought this point up elsewhere, but there's a simple solution for that: if you hate labels so much, well maybe stop labelling yourself? They could always start there lol

• Haha
Reactions: Brother X

bystander

Reaction score
I wouldn't agree at all with the calling posers being immature, insecure, etc. Because people will water a scene down to a fake meaningless fashion trend if it's not maintained. Maintained by being exclusive.

Scenes come and scenes go. If you live this shit, you die this shit. fashion comes & fashion goes.

This year its dubstep & molly last year was rock & cocaine

I do agree with yea- you should at least learn & share a common ground a little with whatever "group" you choose to associate with but I don't agree you should have to mimic every move (ie: music) and adhere to a strike code- or be fake.

ehh no hate

Reactions: Odin

OstrichJockey

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Whoa - long thread. After a brief overview, from someone that has never been thoroughly immersed in the culture: Crusty ideology and crust punk ideology is definitely two different things, no?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads