Wwoofing | Squat the Planet

Wwoofing

DrRabbit

Reaction score
Anybody here ever do any wwoofing before? I'm thinking of heading to Hawaii or maybe somewhere in Canada. If any of you have ever done this post your experiences.

K

kokomojoe

I have a friend who's doing it in maui right now and he seems pretty happy with it. I dont know a whole lot about it but, I've been thinking of trying it out.

scatwomb

Reaction score
I did it in the Pacific Northwest for a few months and your experience will be dependent upon the host farm(s) you're at.

Overall, I had a good experience. Some farmers, however, are creeps who want to take advantage of you in every way possible. Mostly they're great, but, don't assume that if they're part of WWOOF, they are somehow altruistic hippies who you'll like and respect.

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
i've WWOOF'd in the UK. I have found it to be a good experience. I didn't find any bosses that took advantage of me, I just found some that I got on better with more than others. The same as in any part of life. Sometimes people are your sort of people and sometimes they're not, if you get me? It's a great way to learn new skills and to visit different bits of the country. I would just make sure that you get some time to yourself and if you don't like what's going on then speak up or leave. Most places from my experience take you on initially for a week or two and then extend it if you're getting on well. Do some research about the area, the farm, the owners if you can. See what you can find out. At the end of the day it is an exchange process, they get your labour, but it is only fair that you get something from it. Also, if you do have a shitty time of it, then make this known on the wwoof website as its important for other people to know what they are getting themselves into.

zephyr23

Reaction score
i wwoof in NC and Costa rica and i am about to do it again in april....i will be in OR.WA.NorCal i cant wait....do the right research...look for review and also i would say try to talk on the phone before you go down their. A lot of the good farms have trail peroids and that way you can get a feel if the place. i like it a lot i gain skills and travel for free. some of the places have oford to though me some money because i will be at their places three month....also i have been farming in vt and upstate ny. pm if you need advice or want to hear about my experiences more

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
I WWOOFed in Hawai'i, on the Big Island, a while ago (tooo long ago!); the farm I was lucky enough to be at was not really a farm, per se, but an 'artistic ecovillage' started by a bunch of jugglers, primarily from Britain, who invested in some land together. They've had a cirkus school for the local kids for 25 years now; I helped them put on the finishing touches to a BEAUUTIFUL community performing arts space called... SPACE. Incredible stuff - the farm is called Bellyacres. I think by now, they're starting to charge for staying there (somewhere around $7/day for food? Communal food plan, which is all well and good, but... that still adds up, ya know?

However, the Puna area in general of the Big I., south of Hilo, is amazing, filled with massive amounts of hippie-goodness, TONS of work-trade farms, 'clothing optional' beach called Kehena. Hitching is easy as hell, and they have Sunday afternoon drum circles at the beach. Incredible, community-oriented vibe, as a whole. I traveled on Maui for a week or so, but hands down... the Punatics were amazing. :)

Now, thinking about going in a completely different direction, and "WWOOFing" in Detroit, helping them with the myriad 'urban farms' and community gardens they have going on there... Anyone wanna come with? :)

zephyr23

Reaction score
i worked on a farm like that in the lower ninth ward called our school at blar grocery it was awesome we brought local organice food to a place hat was pritty much a food desert

DrRabbit

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I plan on taking my trip around the beginning of summer, I figure that gives me enough time to work the current job I've got so I can have a nice bankroll saved up before I leave. Anybody have any horror stories?

AnarchyorDie

Reaction score
I WWOOFed in Hawai'i, on the Big Island, a while ago (tooo long ago!); the farm I was lucky enough to be at was not really a farm, per se, but an 'artistic ecovillage' started by a bunch of jugglers, primarily from Britain, who invested in some land together. They've had a cirkus school for the local kids for 25 years now; I helped them put on the finishing touches to a BEAUUTIFUL community performing arts space called... SPACE. Incredible stuff - the farm is called Bellyacres. I think by now, they're starting to charge for staying there (somewhere around $7/day for food? Communal food plan, which is all well and good, but... that still adds up, ya know?

However, the Puna area in general of the Big I., south of Hilo, is amazing, filled with massive amounts of hippie-goodness, TONS of work-trade farms, 'clothing optional' beach called Kehena. Hitching is easy as hell, and they have Sunday afternoon drum circles at the beach. Incredible, community-oriented vibe, as a whole. I traveled on Maui for a week or so, but hands down... the Punatics were amazing. :)

Now, thinking about going in a completely different direction, and "WWOOFing" in Detroit, helping them with the myriad 'urban farms' and community gardens they have going on there... Anyone wanna come with? :)

Hey yah, I'm in Hilo now. Just spent 2 months in puna. Great place. I'm about jump to kauai tomorrow and hopefully be back on the mainland in a month or 2. Flying into Seattle and then I'm taking my time getting back to northern cal. Probably gona spend the summer there. Thought a lot about Alaska since I've been out here. Just hiked the Pacific Crest Trail over the summer so it would be nice to break away from that part of the country for a while.

Last edited:

girldoll

Reaction score
I wwoofed in Northernish Ontario (Orillia) at a reptile nature park called Scales. Coolest place ever. Got to lead tours of the facility and let little kids hold gigantic snakes... the host is awesome, many parties, camping trips, pretty chill environment, always something going on. Recommend :)

Reactions: scatwomb

MishMish

Reaction score
Ive woofed in FL, la, CA, ia, and have had mostly good experiences...seen some questionable borderline animal cruelty or negligence which enraged me...and some farmers can be a bit nutso...but this usually easy to gauge. there should be a wwoofer bill of rights or contract of protocol somewhere....

Anyways, complaints aside, im ready to do it again, that being said anyone got a wwoofer id and password i can borrow? I had a membership years ago...i just need some current info on a few CA, or, WA farms. Tanx...i will somehow send u a burrito?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads