wwoof/working - housing while traveling through europe

mans

Reaction score
hey people, in 2 weeks i'm leaving for the big hitchhiking trip around europe i always dreamed off. because of the cold weather i was thinking of doing some workaway or maybe wwoofing so that i atleast have a roof above my head. from people that i know i heard that it's an awesome way of learning more and comming across beautiful people and places but that you also have lesser good one's. so the question is how do i find the good ones? do you have some experiences with work away ? shoot away :)

have a good day

Reactions: roughdraft

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hey - I'm going to redirect this thread into the right area of country that you'll be traveling - and I'm changing your subject title to bring more emphasis to housing in europe. Many people here have hitched europe and asia and I'm sure they can chime in - also do search the subforum for some people's input. Hey - good luck and Do have fun!!

<edit> if my subject title is not good - let me know and I'll change it :)

Reactions: roughdraft
D

Deleted member 14481

I've never done woofing myself, but I've heard stories. It's hit or miss, just like anything else - but woof doesn't have an accountability system so you don't who is or isn't safe. For a lot of people things go well, but there are some weirdos out their. As far as I know, you'll get a person o people that will try to have sex with you in a more aggressive tone, because you're out with them on their land. If you don't have your own way to leave, it can get really bad.

roughdraft

Reaction score
I have done this several times in the southern cone of South America so that's the only region I can speak on

I met a few of my favorite people, know what Im sayin..and one in particular being one of the best situations I've found myself in

other times people were either impatient entitled agro hotheads or pretentious bourgeois catty bitchy drama-feeding chitchatters...dont get me wrong i like to go off on rants myself and i have my opinions but when you don't even know me and the first day I'm at your house you go all emotional extremist yayaya on me on a topic i had never even brought up...red flag

so i met some people who i didn't care for and some i got on with well enough and some reallyreally well who i plan to get back to (long personal story)

never was i left to die or molested or whathaveyou. i was always well taken care of with the food/housing exchange and in the case of early departure a ride to town - but some people's attitudes rubbed me hard enough to get away from them.

so go in with a positive attitude but keep relatively vigilant and have a backup plan!

• Useful
Reactions: mans

mans

Reaction score
Thanks alot guys. I haven't used it yett but maybe will in some time when i need it. It's good to know when to quit i think. I've met anpther couple on the road some days ago who told me a simular story about workaway hosts just being plain disrespectfull and not appreciating the help they got/ constantly nagging the workers. I'll just keep my wits about me when chosing a host. And i'm always traveling with a hammock and a blanket so in worst case scenario's i'll just gtfo.

T Paradise

Reaction score
There are sites that have a rating system that give you an idea of the host beforehand. Workaway as you mentioned and helpx for example.

• Useful
Reactions: mans

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads