Written media that has inspired your lifestyle choice (1 Viewer)

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
Hello,
I know this has been discussed before, but my reasons for asking are slightly different and related to my research efforts. I am also aware of that fact that a lot of you have been inspired by different stories, both fiction and non-fiction, when choosing your life path. I would like to know which books, poems, articles, magazines, zines, etc. you've read that had the greatest influence on your decision to become a "houseless traveler". Or any you've read since then that have either changed or reinforced your point of view.

The reason for this is because, one of my research objectives has to do with understanding people's reasons for choosing this lifestyle and I've noticed in both the interviews and in the off the record conversations that I've had with people, books are a large contributor. I have already begun building a reference library, but I would like to know what I've missed, and what as many others as possible are reading. So, if you could please use this thread to tell me what you've read, and explain how the words have inspired you in 2-6 sentences, your help will be greatly appreciated.

I have access to an academic library and plan to go find any books you've mentioned and use them as sources for my research if they fit my goals. However, if you have a copy of the ebook, or have a link please pass it along to me here or via a PM if you are able to do so. I am working on building a reference library for both my research and to eventually stock the Way Station library.

Or, if you have read something that did not necessarily inspire you but you still think might be useful to my research and/or the Way Station library, please include those too and just state your reasons for suggesting it.

Thank you again for all your help. Everyone here at STP has been wonderful in supporting the HnH Project.

Thorne

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Ristoncor

Rambler
Website
aspirantravel.tumblr.com
I'm in school currently, but the things that have inspired me to travel when I done were:
Into the Wild by Jon Krakaeur
The texts of the rapper Keny Arkana
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Reading squat.net

AmarieLu

Lurker
I'm in school currently, but the things that have inspired me to travel when I done were:
Into the Wild by Jon Krakaeur
The texts of the rapper Keny Arkana
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Absolutely - all of the above mentioned. Aside from that, I grew up talking about the choice of a nomadic lifestyle with my Mom. It was a life she had the opportunity of living in her younger years and I've known all my life that I belonged out on the road.

Cheers

spoona

Lurker
I tend to lurk in the shadows on these forums and never contribute but since these two threads have been pretty helpful...
The White Rick by Hugh Thomson is his own story about stumbling across Inca ruins in 1980s Peru with local help. Tequila Oil's another travel book about him bumming around Mexico.
American Gods-Neil Gaiman won't inspire any lifestyle choices but it's a cool novel playing with the idea of the US as a cultural melting pot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $50.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $50.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $50.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
Andy