Rejected Would you like to see blogs on StP?

Would you use your own blog here on StP to update the community about your travels?

• Yes! I'd post everyday.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Yes! I'd post once a week.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Sure, I'd post once in a while I guess.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Nah, I don't need or wouldn't use such a feature.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Nah, I wouldn't use it but I'd read other people's blogs.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Matt, that's a stupid idea, pooping makes you a bad boy, that's liquid evil coming out of you.

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Hey folks, just thought I'd pitch the idea of having user-specific blogs for members of StP. It occurs to me that while we do have a place for people to share stories, there's not really a way of tying all those stories together and giving folks a way to share their adventures with the community on a regular basis. Some advantages would be that you could set up a blog and post as often (or not) as you like, and it would be specifically geared towards people here on StP that would be interested in seeing what you might be up to. Also, there's not the pressure of having to blog every few days (or week or whatever) and you can just post when you feel like it. Of course, if you're doing that, there's already the travel stories section, so that might be good enough.

basically im just feeling out whether this is something the community would want or use. if not, it's all good, just gimme your vote in the poll above!

severin

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Threads
Current Location
2569 S 5600 W ste 400, West Valley City, UT 84120
Reactions
67% 9% 23%
or could just /wordpress

[www.wordpress.com]

makes more sense, if yer a legit traveler with things to say anyway.

Even better, maybe just write shit into your personal real-paper-diarhhea, which could not possibly weigh more than one extra pack-pound of water-logged paper bullshit. Nobody cares either way. Maybe.... if you are going to take the time to write.... frame it in a way that it may be officially published in your name and not via matts travel blog. Please... don't be stupid people... OWN your stories. CREATE your life... don't adopt someone elses. PLEASE? Cheers.

Last edited:
Threads
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I would say ... don't overload this forum.

There are a lot of places (like the mentioned wordpress) where people can create their own blogs.

So I'm more in favor of de-centrilization.

One other option would be a sticky thread or whatever where people could point to their personal blogs.

Just my 2 cents for now ...

Threads
Current Location
Bar Harbor, United States
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
When it comes to that kind of thing, I prefer to have full powers of customization -- my stories, my format. Dunno what level of personalization you were thinking of building into this idea, but if it'd be confined to the site's schematics, color scheme, etc, I don't think it would feel that much different from making a forum post.
I think you've hit the nail on the head with the concept; it's exactly the kind of thing this kind of community thrives on -- but I'd argue the structure you describe already exists in the way you've designed StP (I don't know how often people tell you this, but structurally this site is absolutely remarkable). When I see a person here whose posts interest me, I find myself navigating to their user page to look up what other threads they've made, and I get plenty of traffic on my personal blog from people clicking through from this site -- I think it's a pretty good structure for stalking purposes, all in all!

I find myself posting travel stories here when I want to take advantage of the community aspect; start a conversation with like-minded people (and because I can post stories I don't necessarily want associated with my real name) whereas with blogging it's more of a monologue.

But who knows, other people might love it.
What about making the 'status' sidebar more like facebook newsfeed? People could post photos, links, and longer commentary which would be temporarily visible on the front page.

Threads
Current Location
New York City
Reactions
71% 0% 29%
Think this is a rad idea.

deleted user

Lurker
I deleted myself
Threads
Current Location
Cle Elum, United States
Reactions
88% 0% 13%
I think it could be a good idea. Something I was thinking would be interesting would be matching articles/ blogs privacy to how the forum posts work with profile privacy settings (if it's not already like that?) This would be cool for limiting who information is shared with so spots don't get blown up. I mean it's not hard to set up an account here, but maybe it will stop Google from giving it to less seasoned people.

For example: if I blogged this entire PCT adventure where I'm taking only 50 bucks, a backpack of gear, and a food stamps card only to have some oogley fool named Chad blow up the spot for other travelers looking for free rides on the trail rather than the adventure years afterward...that would suck. Which is why I think maybe having a surface view of the adventure for the public, but the real details elsewhere for fellow anarchist nomads with respect for such things. Some kind of way to incorporate YouTube videos or promote DIY travel channels on the site for individuals would be awesome, too.

Only other thing I can think of that would need discussion is maybe the choice of individuals using their own Amazon referral links as that is another positive of everyone just having their own WordPress blog instead.

Threads
Current Location
Las Vegas NV
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I was an avid packpacker hiker and did some mountain guiding at high altitude on and of since I was about 13.
I actually no a ton about gear (or did, knowledge needs an update lol)
Anyway on my trip I had last year I crossed the country three times hitching, hopping and yes on a bus here and there.
I noticed across the country ppl are packing bs and kinda started. To think about what gear a traveler and a hiker should have in common and noticed some difference in the way things are used.
Was kinda thinking of getting into that a bit and writing about, I'm sure there are plenty of ppl who know as much as me or more on here who could share.
I'm currently and have been 100% homeless for three years on and off for 18 so I've been living out of a backpack most my life lol.
Not sure my input would be helpful though, what do you think

Hobo Mud

Settling down a while.
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Columbia, Tennessee
Reactions
99% 1% 1%
I would like to see this option....

Threads
Current Location
Las Vegas NV
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I think the more info the better

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Well overall, it seems like this isn't something the community wants/needs, which is fine. I've got plenty of other things that need to be done here :)

thank you for your input!