Would you like to be in a short documentary?

AmyPilch

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm a second year Media Production student from the University of Winchester and I am currently in the process of making a short documentary for a film festival about squatting.

I'm happy to travel to come and meet you so if you live in the UK and are interested about talking to my crew and I about your experiences, I would love to hear from you!
Please reply for more details.

Hope to be seeing you soon!

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
Hello,

I am not in the UK, but I too am a researcher working with the University of Arizona. I have never worked in the UK, so I don't know how conducive the kids there are to outsiders asking them questions, but here it's not so easy unless you have an in of some kind. So, here comes my first question. Have you ever worked with this population before? If not, expect a lot of bull shit answers that are intended to give you false information and mislead you. You are working with a part of the population that are often times running from the law, or just want to drop out of society.

I know these things from personal experience because, before I entered the world of academia, I was a part of this group for nearly 6 years. During that time I was approached by dozens of researchers, news people and laymen, and I would give them bullshit answers myself if they did not approach me correctly.

You also need to give more info about yourself. What is your background with this group? Have you researched them before? Have you ever hopped a freight train, hitchhiked or whatever? Etc. Etc. etc. This is all stuff you're research volunteers will want to know about you too.

You may be a seasoned researcher, and if so I apologize, but like I said, I have about 20 years experience in this group so I've seen a lot.

Thorne

Reactions: Tude

AmyPilch

Reaction score
Hello,

I am not in the UK, but I too am a researcher working with the University of Arizona. I have never worked in the UK, so I don't know how conducive the kids there are to outsiders asking them questions, but here it's not so easy unless you have an in of some kind. So, here comes my first question. Have you ever worked with this population before? If not, expect a lot of bull shit answers that are intended to give you false information and mislead you. You are working with a part of the population that are often times running from the law, or just want to drop out of society.

I know these things from personal experience because, before I entered the world of academia, I was a part of this group for nearly 6 years. During that time I was approached by dozens of researchers, news people and laymen, and I would give them bullshit answers myself if they did not approach me correctly.

You also need to give more info about yourself. What is your background with this group? Have you researched them before? Have you ever hopped a freight train, hitchhiked or whatever? Etc. Etc. etc. This is all stuff you're research volunteers will want to know about you too.

You may be a seasoned researcher, and if so I apologize, but like I said, I have about 20 years experience in this group so I've seen a lot.

Thorne

Thank you so much for this information it has been very helpful!

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
Thank you so much for this information it has been very helpful!

Glad to have helped. If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.

There are some UK travelers here, so you have a shot at finding a volunteer. I wish you luck.

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
I'm based mostly in Brighton, UK. So not far from winchester (I'm currently WWOOFing in Devon, but will be Brighton bound shortly I expect) I might be interested.

I wasn't sure from your post @AmyPilch whether the whole film festival is about squatting or you have just chosen to make a film about squatting? What's your reasoning behind that choice? Have you squatted? Are you pro or anti? Just interested as I wouldn't want to be portrayed as a total scumbag. I can probably put you in touch with some interesting people to talk to if I can't help.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads