would you let your child travel?

Nym

Reaction score
heres a funny thought i had will i was feedin my daughter journey today....
"if she travels, i swear to god ill kick her ass."
haha it kinda shocked me...you know i always thought if i had kids and they decided to travel like i did that id be cool with and now that i got a kid here front of me, i dont know if i would want her too....its kinda weird..

so give me some of your thoughts....
would you care if your kid traveled, knowing what its like out there?
would you travel with them?
would you be upset?

i didnt see any threads like this and i thought it might gets some interesting feed back.

Beardo

Reaction score
Being a parent, whenever I picture my baby boy doing something I did (i.e. traveling, hitching, etc.) I automatically think of all the things that went wrong or the bad situations and the fear that hits me when I think about it automatically wipes out any of the really good memories of moments I had, which is weird because the good moments far outweigh the bad. But I think it's just an automatic reaction parents get, you want them to have all the good and safe moments and none of the scary, unsafe moments. It never occurs to us that you have to experience the bad to appreciate the good........I'm rambling.....sorry

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Questions like these are one of many reasons why I will never have kids. I worry enough about my traveler friends who are old enough to have their own kids. I don't think I would encourage anyone to be a squatter if they had other options. Not because it's always the wrong decision, but because a lot of people really can't handle it and by the time they realize that it's too late to do things differently.

Now doing the hippie circuit is an entirely different thing because it's actually safe, and you could do that with a child. I'm not talking about festivals/concerts, which are mostly about drugs, but going to intentional communities for work/trade. Rainbow gatherings would also be ok as long as you stay out of A camp and most regionals, which again are mostly about getting fucked up. Nationals draw a somewhat more responsible crowd. Squatting in an urban environment, on the other hand, is a good way to get CPS on your back. not recommended.

Nym

Reaction score
Being a parent, whenever I picture my baby boy doing something I did (i.e. traveling, hitching, etc.) I automatically think of all the things that went wrong or the bad situations and the fear that hits me when I think about it automatically wipes out any of the really good memories of moments I had, which is weird because the good moments far outweigh the bad. But I think it's just an automatic reaction parents get, you want them to have all the good and safe moments and none of the scary, unsafe moments. It never occurs to us that you have to experience the bad to appreciate the good........I'm rambling.....sorry
no ...your rambling is exactly what went through my head when this popped up...
i had hella good times that i would love her to have but man there where something i saw and went through that i pray she'll never have to even here about...its kinda a tuffy....i mean i kinda dont even want to tell her about my travels when i think about the bad

Nym

Reaction score
. Squatting in an urban environment, on the other hand, is a good way to get CPS on your back. not recommended.
i know what you mean...i definiately would not encourage it with a small hild...i ment when there closer to the age where its exceptable for them to leave home

MunicipalWaylan

Reaction score
I was visiting a friend this summer and while waiting for a train so I could get to her house I saw a father and son (who couldn't have been older than 12) scammin' on some trains, they cased a few and then climbed into an engine unit...it was awesome

Nelco

Reaction score
I want my kid to travel and a lot of other things.
I want them to experience life and be capable.
No question or doubt here.
I was raised with open minds and honesty and pushed out young and when I look at my peers adgenda's, motives and awareness of life, I'm glad I experienced what I have and I don't want to take that away from my child.
All in all, it's up to him what he wants to do and I'll be supportive and encouraging of just about anything that's not self destructive.

Nym

Reaction score
All in all, it's up to him what he wants to do and I'll be supportive and encouraging of just about anything that's not self destructive.

honestly thats all you can do....
i agree with this

Nelco

Reaction score
honestly thats all you can do....
i agree with this

:)
If he didn't have nomadic ways, i'd be weirded out and confused..two vagabonds did spawn him.

NyxNomasters

Reaction score
I'm hoping to finagle a van in the near future so I can take my kids on the road, travel-schooling for a while and give their dad a break.

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Absolutely,
I am always encouraging my daughter who is now 23 to travel.

If she was younger I would be concerned, but I would want to teach her how to
keep safe.
I went onto the street when I was 14, and didn't know shit and just survived,
I had a mix of great times and horrific times.
I didn't have anyone to teach me - no older mentor, and I wouldnt of listened anyway!

If I had a little one now I would have NO problem being on the road - in a vehicle at least.
But it all depends on where you are and what the situation is with people trying to
report you to social services etc.
May daughter was raised very alternative in the punk, anarcho, traveller community
and public housing over in England. So she visited many squats, traveller camps, free festivals,
political actions.
I would do it all over again!

Nym

Reaction score
if i had a child id make sure he traveled at least from the clothes hanger to the food disposer or dumpster.

dude come on..thats hella fucked up
some of us actually enjoy having kids...
and dont care about hearing about that kinda shit
personally i believe in adoption
im adopted myself....
so come on..none of that shit

Nelco

Reaction score

Nelco

Reaction score

Nym

Reaction score
naw i know everyone is entitled to there own opinion and everything
i apologize if i came at you wrong

prolife or prochoice it doesnt matter..to each there own
i just got lucky and happened to be the planned abortion that never happened and lived
hahahaha

Nelco

Reaction score
i had one abortion.
it fucked me up for a good two or three years.
never again..and i don't suggest it to anyone else.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads