WORST places to get Food Stamps. (1 Viewer)

Inuyoujo

Current Location
Minneapolis, MN, United States
Website
youjoworks.weebly.com
There's a different post on the best places to get Food Stamps, but it's just as good to be aware of the other side of that. ::nurse::

The 2 worst states I know from experience to get on EBT are Colorado and Minnesota. They both have workfare and Colorado wants to unload workfare hours on people that would basically be a full-time volunteer position. MN only has a case on EBT for 3 months unless they meet a VERY short list of exemptions. ::rules::

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
this is a totally good idea for a resources thread.

my contribution is texas. they'll only give it to you for 3 months, unless you spend 8 hours a day looking for work, getting signatures from each job you apply to. if your signatures don't work up to a minimum of 8 hours a day of walking/transportation they cut you off, and then you can't re-apply for 3 years. pretty fucking ridiculous.

K

kokomojoe

I deleted myself
Indiana is bad from what I've heard (big surprise I know). I think you have to be working a minimum of 30 hours a week or something like that? I'd have to look it up but pretty sure there are some type of work requirements.

angerisagift

Wayfarer
Current Location
Greeley
y r all these things bad?? volunteering /work requirements?? no 1 is forcing u to apply 4 food stamps?? and it seems u arent rresidents anyway.supposedly u to b free of society to travel/be homeless but u want to same govt/society to take care of u #nannystate

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
...supposedly u to b free of society to travel/be homeless but u want to same govt/society to take care of u #nannystate
A pretty unpopular idea here which I share with you.

If I ran the place anybody could get food stamps whether they be rich or poor the day they sign up, put their orange vest on and meet the van at the corner doing some kind of community work which pays about minimum wage in food.

We'll end up with mostly two types of people on this program:

Those who are strong volunteers, the very poor and/or both.

That is quite alright with me. I can't think of a better place to re-start the seed of volunteerism in this country.

I've been pretty lucky about finding enough trash to eat while on the road and have been lucky enough where I haven't needed food stamps.

They would have made it easier for me to get by, but at the expense of who?

How many single moms out there are struggling to get by so you can have it easy on the road?

If this is what punk is about, I don't get it.

Rant over, on topic:

I hear that food stamps are becoming more and more difficult to get without doing something that demonstrates that they aren't your "lifestyle".

I did apply for food stamps exactly once. The eagerness that was shown by that state to provide them was excessively lame.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
I've not been on the gov teat more than once or twice in my life and am not currently even though making dough is sporadic for me.

Having said that I want to throw in my two cents... food stamps specially for some one that has to feed kids with no help is deff a great thing.

Also, if they want to make it real hard for folks to get free money for food... then there is something I think governments should do.

AND That is remove any and all ordinances on growing and raising your own food. I don't care if I'm living in a city or suburb,,. there should be no barriers to gardens and chickens... exct.

ALso... removing restrictions on foraging fishing and hunting... (When done for feeding yourself... not sport.)

Fucking people in power always want to control the masses... laws against poaching and land use have been around forever...

This fucking world...

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
...AND That is remove any and all ordinances on growing and raising your own food. I don't care if I'm living in a city or suburb,,. there should be no barriers to gardens and chickens... exct.
When I was working farmers market I would sometimes cut deals better than regular price. If you came up with food stamps, It was bonus time.

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
ive had mixed experiences in richmond virginia, the first time i applied i got them within a week for half a year, then they got shut off with no warning or real reason. the next 3 times ive applied ive been denied for different reasons every time ranging from "you had them 3 years ago so you cant get them again for such and such long" to "this isnt the office for you you need to cal so and so over at blah and blah" (when in fact blah and blah doesnt even exist...)

but on the other hand ive had people passing through say they love richmond because its cake to get foodies here. maybe social services really hates my face.

Hillbilly Castro

Wanderer
Current Location
Westernville, NY
The U.S. government upholds a social order of poverty, war, and prison. Ill take what I can get - and if it sucks them dry, yeehaw. When it runs out I got a 30-30 and a fishing rod. Don't need a nanny state - I'll get by no matter what - but I'll take free cash from an imperialist pig state.

angerisagift

Wayfarer
Current Location
Greeley
The U.S. government upholds a social order of poverty, war, and prison. Ill take what I can get - and if it sucks them dry, yeehaw. When it runs out I got a 30-30 and a fishing rod. Don't need a nanny state - I'll get by no matter what - but I'll take free cash from an imperialist pig state.
LOL always a victim .

awkwardshelby

Current Location
San Antonio, United States
Website
shelbycriswell.com
New Mexico used to be shitty about it because they'd give it to you for 6 months, but you had to prove you were working at least 32 hours and if you weren't, you had to go to these lame ass seminars every week or month or something and do these mundane activities that you or no one else got anything out of. BUT! a judge just recently favored that as unlawful and now you can easily get it without all of that work shit

Desperado Deluxe

Wanderer
Current Location
51-59 W Nevada Pl, Denver, CO 80209, USA
Frankly I lived a good while without food stamps but in recent years I've been getting them due to the rising use of trash compactors. So much fucking food is thrown away every day its rediculous. I used to live like a king off of trash alone in fact me and my friends fueled a weekly food not bombs in the town I was living in. Having foodies definately helps with the convenience of not having to go to bum feeds and go looking for food when I have other things to do.

A lot of places currently donate the unused food to shelters and the like but from what I noticed these places fucking hoard shit giving the good stuff to only those who volunteer. Not only that but most of the food spoils quickly rendering it unusable and most of it is discarded anyway.

Anyways back on topic...

For me florida was a nightmare it took me over a month to get my card and it seemed the only way to get it was over the web. But for other people it took less time. Honestly I think that some places are just discriminitory on who they give them too. Once in CA I was in my hometown and I was couchsurfing/camping out and the address (which was my dads house) on my ID was in that town. Being under 21 yrs I was told that I couldn't get my foodies because it seemed I was staying at my dads house. To me this seemed discriminitory because I hadn't been staying at my dads house.

I think it would be good to list here the places that have certain obnoxious policies such as the one in texas that matt listed. Or that are highly discriminitory.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
i would like to remind folks to not go off the topic of this thread, which is a discussion about worst places to get food stamps. if you want to start a discussion about the politics of taking government assistance, please create a new thread for that.

wokofshame

Wayfarer
Current Location
novosivirsk, russia
Website
www.weather.gov
erwin TN has a bunch of nasty suspicious old bitches workin in the office....don't bother.
Many states now have the 3-month limit (often in a 3-year period) unless you are volunteering/working/attending the WorkSource meetings, VT is among them. I haven't had a big prob as a traveller because there are 50 states and once one runs out you can just move on.
CO as far as I know is the only state that cuts you off for life the first time you miss worksource, it takes 3 strikes in SD.
Oh, and TX and SC will cut you off for out-of-state spending. You'll still have your 1st payment and maybe a 2nd but that'll be it

Preacher

Rambler
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Pennsylvania
PA now has the 3 month limit 'unless working'. Plus, they seem to skim over and completely forget the word homeless, no matter how many times you put it on your paperwork.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $15.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $15.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $15.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $15.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Roof vent is installed, fixed the side mirror, mounted the solar panels and ran the wires into the van. Currently working on putting in the floor. It's a lot but I'm making steady progress.
Anyone is Portland wanna kick it for a night and get motey'd up?!
Wowzers I'm glad I was off the site for the duration of The Pronoun Thread, as it's been titled. Holy shit. I know for a fact I would have gotten sucked into it and I'm not sure if that would've been a good thing lol
48 hours from HELL, lost thirteen hundred dollars, thats a fuckload on a pension! lost two ducks to the heat, the key for teh vespa is goign to cost an unbelievable amount says the cheerful vespa mechanic,and i need two new tyres, a new belt and rollersaswell! the generator died, wake up, the dogs cold and dead besides me and for the icing on the cake, lost my fucking bankcard and the bank tellers was a twat to me!!!ANYONE nearby bring booze and cigs and cheer!!!!FARRRKKKKKKK
On the side of the road 8 miles from Paint Rock, TX
Anyone have tips for cool chill spots dwntwn jacksonville,
Heading up to NYC soon. Gotta start from scratch again and been getting the itch to go somewhere anyways.
Almost to Jax anyone about?
Cinderella castle would make a damn good apocalypse house
A Simple Step Van wrote on snailormoon's profile.
Welcome to the site. Whattaya mean when you say you work with native Californian wildlife? Like, do you get paid for it or is it sarcasm? Curious am I. ~ peace

Members online

No members online now.