Work shoes or boots? | Squat the Planet

Work shoes or boots?

D

Deleted member 14481

Will normal toe waterproof work boots or shoes work just as well for hiking? I can get a pair easily, if that's the case? What are the pros and cons of traveling with work boots/ shoes?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i think the only issue would be whether the work boots have the same amount of foot support for hiking? i think in general you'd be okay, it just seems that for hiking you'd probably want good ankle support.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
for hiking you'd probably want good ankle support.

I agree 100%

Here's some pictures from the last time I went hiking wearing just normal shoes.

I don't even wear normal shoes in the city anymore because I have some sort of PTSD where I'm always kind of afraid of losing my footing and breaking another leg. Get some good ankle support and some nasty treads on the bottom too.

IntrovertMatt

Reaction score
I personally wear a pair of Salomon boots for hiking but everyone is different, I recommend going to an outdoor store and getting a pair fitted to you, which I did. No point in spending $150 on a decent pair of boots online and then realising they're not very well suited for your feet.
Everyday life I wear a pair of Lems primals, minimalist, ultra-lightweight and really good if you have a wider foot(feels like you're walking barefoot).

stormrider66

Reaction score
Website
backroads66.com
I personally wear a pair of Salomon boots for hiking but everyone is different, I recommend going to an outdoor store and getting a pair fitted to you, which I did. No point in spending $150 on a decent pair of boots online and then realising they're not very well suited for your feet.
Everyday life I wear a pair of Lems primals, minimalist, ultra-lightweight and really good if you have a wider foot(feels like you're walking barefoot).

I got a decent pair of Hi-Tec hiking boots at a Big 5 sporting goods store on sale for around $45, back in January....no problems with them at all.

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

IntrovertMatt

Reaction score
I got a decent pair of Hi-Tec hiking boots at a Big 5 sporting goods store on sale for around $45, back in January....no problems with them at all.
Sounds like a good deal to me. I guess I just have picky feet, I've tried a few boots and the ones I have now are good for the long-term. My others have either come away from the seams or just give me constant blisters.

stormrider66

Reaction score
Website
backroads66.com
Sounds like a good deal to me. I guess I just have picky feet, I've tried a few boots and the ones I have now are good for the long-term. My others have either come away from the seams or just give me constant blisters.

If you're in the UK, you probably won't be able to find that kind of deal on hiking boots.

Indi The 8

Reaction score
Will normal toe waterproof work boots or shoes work just as well for hiking? I can get a pair easily, if that's the case? What are the pros and cons of traveling with work boots/ shoes?
work shoe, but uh..as close to a lightweight boot as you can get.

Drengor

Reaction score
The sportier a lifestyle you have the less ankle support you need. If you're someone who runs/jogs/bikes or plays any sprinting sports, you can get away with hiking shoes. Work shoes might be alright here, but you'll need flexibility in the sole, so no steel shanks. If you're someone who doesn't do that often, you're better off relying on the support of a good boot.

Working boots aren't going to be all that great for anyone. It'll be really easy to trip on your own feet on any kind of difficult terrain, and typical work boots don't actually offer any ankle support but rather ankle protection from construction debris or strikes. Most work boot jobs actually require little movement in the feet, all the effort's up top.

So proper hiking boots will add ankle support while also being slim and functional. Figure out how good of a hiker you are and how tough a hike you'll be doing. If you've got trainers or running shoes those would probably work better if you're willing to get them dirty.

D

Deleted member 14481

I don't plan on doing any sporty stuff (hopping fences, biking, etc.0 but it could happen. Foot and ankle support are important, and that was a very thought observation on how work boots are meant for stationary operations. The question is "Is to comfortable to do long periods of walking in work boots/ shoes?" to be more direct about the primary intentions.

Art101

Reaction score
I have a pair of Altima OTB's and I swear by them.Think of a tactical Chick Taylor.Great work shoe,non slip all that stuff plus they breath well.Not the best for a cold wet climate as they are sorta like jungle boots and are designed to drain.I wear mine almost every day.

Reactions: Doobie_D

Chazten

Reaction score
Yea like one other person said, ankle support is for people with weak ass ankles honestly, if you hike often and have leg and foot strength you don’t twist ankles, most thru hikers nowadays wear simple lightweight running shoes, I wear moccasins and neverhave problems even on the longest rockiest trails or on the streets! Don’t worry about getting some expensive boots my current Mocs were 1.50 from goodwill

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
if you hike often and have leg and foot strength you don’t twist ankles

I'm calling bullshit on all that. My legs are incredibly strong. I've cycled my entire life, hiked heaps & done gangs of BJJ. I'm by no means a couch potato. Leg and foot strength didn't offer me anything when I had zero tread on sketchy slopes loaded with loose pebbles. You're not accounting for accidents whatsoever.
IMG_20180428_003048.jpg
7A8hTtT.jpg

stormrider66

Reaction score
Website
backroads66.com
I'm calling bullshit on all that. My legs are incredibly strong. I've cycled my entire life, hiked heaps & done gangs of BJJ. I'm by no means a couch potato. Leg and foot strength didn't offer me anything when I had zero tread on sketchy slopes loaded with loose pebbles. You're not accounting for accidents whatsoever. View attachment 42778 View attachment 42780

Exactly...it doesn't matter how strong one's legs or ankles are, there's always that one spot that will fuck everything up. I've twisted my ankles plenty of times just walking along a sidewalk.

RottonCotton

Reaction score
Oh what big boy sexy calves . (Lol) take care ENG

I'm calling bullshit on all that. My legs are incredibly strong. I've cycled my entire life, hiked heaps & done gangs of BJJ. I'm by no means a couch potato. Leg and foot strength didn't offer me anything when I had zero tread on sketchy slopes loaded with loose pebbles. You're not accounting for accidents whatsoever. View attachment 42778 View attachment 42780

• Haha
Reactions: Jimmy Beans

Chazten

Reaction score
Call bullshit all ya want, but it’s a fact most thru hikers rock running shoes with zero support. And I’ve never had problems with zero support, you have to be mindful of where your stepping. If you trod along wrecklessly not minding where you step, even with some high ass boots you can twist some shit. My point is you don’t need badass boots unless your doing some true mountaineering like climbing up scree above tree line without a fucking trail. Don’t spend all your money on name brand and just watch where the fuck you step.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've beat the crap outa a pair of redwing loggers last... not a bad boot I enjoyed em but after a few years of hard use and neglect... so it's about time to get a new pair.

For me nothing beats a good pair of boots for daily use be it walking to the liquor store or trucking through scree, rocks, mud, roots and wild. .

Only exceptions are beach wear... for various sandals and flip flops.

I'm thinking of giving belleville tactical boots another go when I get my next pair.

belleville-390-trop-hot-weather-black-combat-boot-7.png

I agree 100%

Here's some pictures from the last time I went hiking wearing just normal shoes.

I don't even wear normal shoes in the city anymore because I have some sort of PTSD where I'm always kind of afraid of losing my footing and breaking another leg. Get some good ankle support and some nasty treads on the bottom too.

Haha... dude Eng that looks painful. But I gotta say your sporting some white fuzz on dat durrr that foot. :[P I'm got the Parmesan cheese heel going at the moment myself. LOL

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads