wool or microfleece blanket?

naturegirl84

Reaction score
Website
rubbertramping.wordpress.com
so i'm going rubbertramping soon and will be camping on the west coast on occasion- i need a warm blanket, and i'm wondering if microfleece is comparable to wool for warmth/camping use. i've slept very comfortably out of doors under a microfleece and they are significantly lighter than wool and easier to find at thrift stores, haha. however, i know you can never go wrong with a wool blanket, especially for keeping away moisture etc. your thoughts?

bicycle

Reaction score
Wool would be better.
If you are allergic against wool then a fleece would be better.
Or maybe put a wrap of something light around the wool.

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
If you want microfleece, I bet you'd be able to get it cheaper at a fabric store than anywhere else, assuming you're actually paying for it. The downside to fleece is that is usually less windproof and will melt too close to campfires. The upside to it is that it is pretty light and is easy to clean and won't rot. I'd say since you're rubbertramping, wool makes more sense as it'll help you a lot more in car breakdown situations.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
get one of each and sew them together......?
but yeah what wartomods said.... a badass sleeping bag is worth the cost.....

J

Johnny P

Wool will keep you warm even when its wet...my wool blanket has saved my life I'm sure...I wish i stil had it, but they are heavy...now i just have a 20 deg bag

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Wool will keep you warm even when its wet...my wool blanket has saved my life I'm sure...I wish i stil had it, but they are heavy...now i just have a 20 deg bag
I swear by wool, it will save your ass if everything gets soaked and your cold. I once went overboard in a canoe on a chilly October afternoon, everything was soaked. I ended up tying the collar of my wool blanket shirt shut, and using the shirt as a pair of makeshift pants, it looked like a big wool diaper after I belted it around my waist, but at least it kept my ass and legs warm as we continued paddling down the river.
I guess it don't matter as much if your rubber tramping, but still, I'd go with wool over fancy micro fleece any day.
Sure micro fleece is more comfortable, but only the itchy survive, lol.
Even in summer I take either a light weight wool blanket or at least a wool sweater. I don't like the wool blends much,
I prefer 100% wool. Either a light weight army blanket or a good sweater(Irish or Woolrich).
I have usually found military wool blankets in army navy stores or randomly at yard sales. I have on occasion found Woolrich
sweaters and shirts in thrift stores. But I really like the Irish wool sweaters that I occasionally jack from my brother. They are a
size to large for me and I can sleep in them by pulling my arms into the body area and using the empty sleeves for a pillow.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads