Woklife!

nivoldoog

Wanderer
Current Location
Everywhere, No where
Website
www.house13oom.com
A couple months back I was traveling from the Canadian border to Oregon after being turned away for trying to hitch thru to Alaska. While waiting on next bus in Aberdeen, WA I took a walk and found a sweet thrift junk store. After meeting and traveling with a couple different groups, I came to the conclusion I needed cookware like the groups I encountered.

I decided I would purchase cookware from the store I mentioned and after searching thru the many stacks of pans, pots and skillets, I came across a wok with a wooden handle. I inquired how much, he said $3.75, I told him he will take $2.50. #13oom I am now the owner of my first wok.

I reached my destination of Cannon Beach but ended up settling into Sea Side, OR for a long bit. With my wok I would go to the beach each night and cook up ramen or rice with fresh veggies purchased from local grocery store. I would go down to the beach and dig up old used logs and cook my meals. Many nights I was fortunate enough to bless others with a hot meal.

Besides from just tooting my own horn, does anyone else wish to share their love of the wok? Or maybe tell me your favorite cooking tool? #Woklife

Z

zBzz

I deleted myself
Definitely getting my hands on one of these once I get a vehicle. Would be fucking sweet to make some big meals w/ simple ingredients.

MamaSow

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Laramie
I LOVE woks! and I love how versatile they can be. Even more than a wok though, I currently have a thing for a cast iron frying pan. I'm a rubber tramp and so the weight isn't an issue.

If I was on foot or hitching or traveling without my own vehicle, I think a wok would be a great idea.

Do you use a spatula to cook or a big spoon? what's your favorite utensil to use with the wok?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
Never had one... but I have just thought of a reason I would enjoy.

I don't do it often lately but I like to make soups from scratch... especially chicken soup... (leftovers base for others... veggie meat, tomatoe, split pea exct)

A wok should do well for making batches of soup... maybe smaller or large as a stock pot depending on wok ... I duuno... never tried but will keep in mind next time I cook wit wok.

OP
nivoldoog

nivoldoog

Wanderer
Current Location
Everywhere, No where
Website
www.house13oom.com
Do you use a spatula to cook or a big spoon? what's your favorite utensil to use with the wok?
I carry like 5 or 6 spoons so that is what I use. I carry one at all times in my breast pocket then I have collected a few more over travels. I want to learn to play spoons. I love spoons.

MamaSow

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Laramie
I carry like 5 or 6 spoons so that is what I use. I carry one at all times in my breast pocket then I have collected a few more over travels. I want to learn to play spoons. I love spoons.
and playing spoons while using the wok over a hot flame ......

NotmybestNotmyworst

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
On the lamb
I thought this said WOKE life hahahhahaha. And i wanted to see how fucking much it was gonna make me cringe. But WOKS are the shit. I just whipped up a sweet stir-fry for dinner tonight.

If you want to make a good stir-fry without using a pre packaged sauce. Heres how....
Oil the WOK. Add aromatics at low heat (garlic, green onions, chives, etc). Then stir fry the fuck out of whatever you want (veg and meat etc). And for more flavour add things like ginger and whatever herbs and spices you like. Then mix in a meat or veggie stock (homemade if possible). Toss in some quick noodles or minute rice (or serve over noodles/rice). Ive never added eggs but thats the next plan. Hope that inspires some good stir-frys. WOKS are pretty universal cook equipment :)

BirdDaddy

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Current Location
Fairfield Idaho.
Dude, I like to eat good and I don't have money so obviously I go fresh as much as possible but I also like meat and eggs and I like to cook and I like coffee and tea alot.... I have a sweet kitchen in my pack. Vegies are free, meat is lifted ez enough. why eat crap on the road? I feel like the cooks on this site do far to little posting of recipes tho.... I'm having a hard time finding anything that's not pocket stew...

Reactions: nivoldoog

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Guy I met in jail offered a trailer to rent in the nation's #1 city for violent crime per capita.
Nothing sketchy about this.
I'm so excited!!! My first ever down sleeping bag is in the mail, it will be here Friday night!!! Getting rid of this huge bulky 0° synthetic crap will reduce the size f my pack 50%!!! Not to mention pounds... Now if I could only gtfo!!!
Looking to travel soon in about a month any suggestions??
Texas is full of things that can kill me and I don't think that's great.
NOT SO FAST on heading to Chicago. I can tell it's a rough place to start over. I applied for another job in Mpls, and see how that goes in 2 weeks. If they take their time, like I don't have my own, bye. But, I'm going to give them a chance.
cammyrose wrote on Honey Crust's profile.
You're hella cute 😍🖤
Does anyone els ever go threw life trials that cant be naglected and keep you from traveling? I keep getting so close to go then, BAM! another obligatory anchor...
IDoRails69 wrote on Travelerkid93's profile.
You ever find your road dawg? I just had mine bail on me before we even left and I'm still going, but I'm not really looking forward to being solo again. Did it before and it just kinda sucked. I can try to meet you wherever you'd want. I'm in the middle of illinois right now. Hmu if you're interested and we can chat and get to know each other before we decide if we should meet up.✌

Members online

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
esgar