Winter Hitch Across Country (1 Viewer)

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
I recently hitchhiked FL to CA and now am getting the itch to do it again..except this time West to East, CA to Pennsylvania. Probably head out around mid-november. Has anyone hitchhiked cross country (or a long distance) during this winter month? How is it dealing with the cold (I will be pretty far north most of the time.)

Any tips/tricks?

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
I hitched from Tacoma to DC in Jan/Feb with light clothing and didn't suffer much. I'm larger and have good metabolism. Despite my lack of heavy clothing I fared well. Given an arctic blast, I likely would have had to bed down for days or maybe turned into an icicle.

Don't sleep in dumpsters.

Use cardboard below you ( in layers) and above you (in layers). Also, use it to deflect wind if you are in a breezy spot.

When weather is brutal, people will tend to be nicer to you.

psychofoamer

asshole
Banned
Website
www.paynepress.com
Dress in layers. Get those little pocket hand warmers. Eat hot soup.

I've also hitched & traveled through winters and I've survived. (Obviously)

Cardboard like 7xmike said is important, especially coupled with a good synthetic sleeping bag.

Get some good gloves and wool socks

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
But generally, if you keep moving you will stay warm
Great advice, when sleeping, if I felt the chill I'd go dumpster dive.

Twofold advantage:

Move, generate heat.

Move, acquire fuel.

If you are using this as a survival strategy you would be good to have a very good understanding of your limits and thermal economy.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
If ya get to NY I am couch surfing ready and all the hot showers you need - big ole clawfoot ready for swimmin times hehe :) Good luck and have fun (as I always say). I am not sure but there may be another member here (Kal) who may be hitching to the East as well once he leaves the slabs and hits AZ for a tiny bit an heading north and over.

OP
trickdaley

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
If ya get to NY I am couch surfing ready and all the hot showers you need - big ole clawfoot ready for swimmin times hehe :) Good luck and have fun (as I always say). I am not sure but there may be another member here (Kal) who may be hitching to the East as well once he leaves the slabs and hits AZ for a tiny bit an heading north and over.
Thanks for the offer Tude! Ill actually be going to PA not NY.

OP
trickdaley

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
Thanks for the tips guys! Still on the fence about the trip, I would be flying from my current spot (Oahu, Hawaii) to SF, then hitching across to PA, then flying back to Hawaii to get ready for a trip to Thailand. I'd be burning a lot of frequent flyer miles but the idea is to make this trip to surprise my parents for Thanksgiving :)

Rackbone

Lurker
Go for it man. If your heart is tellin you to do it, oblige it. It will be cold and it will hurt. Pain tempers us and brings us closer to (instert higher power.)

kecleon

Wanderer
I don't know how your weather really goes but here it would be miserable man winter in the north can be brutal. Here in mid November it usually just rains and rains, but still warmer than January, so there's that. I'd chill in Hawaii but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
Danknuggett