Winter essentials & Snowshoes

benjysirois

Professional knob twiddler and sound anarchist
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So, as many 0f us have experienced, there was a nice snowfall today! Instead of getting bummed about travelling season for me ending over the winter months, I've spent the day being dreamy and imagining some three day winter ventures. I'm working now, so nothing too long ya know.

Anyways! I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to some essential wintering gear I may not have thought of already. I was also curious if anyone had any snowshoe recommendations? Perhaps anyone crafted a DIY snowshoe?

Joni

Reaction score
for winter gear.... hmmmm.... snow camping... hmmmm.....
:eek: oh!
well first off i would get a down bag for sure one that's rated for 10-20 degrees less than than you plan. second i would invest in a good pad with a high r-value. therma rest foam don't work in >40 degree weather very well you'll have to carry a bag style air pump because the moisture in your breath freezes in the pad. then i would get some of that bubble wrap Mylar from a hardware store. i would totally go hammock for winter because it resolves alot of issues with condensation buildup that turns into ice. you using alot of calories to melt the snow while you sleep etc etc.... if you are a ground sleeper. condensation/wetness is your enemy in winter. stove preference because all the water is frozen and you have to heat it to get water would be a kero type stove something with a fuel bottle thats not propane/butane for sure. wool is awesome but its heavy so i would be selective on how much of it you carry. they do make wool leggings you just have to hunt for them. dress in layers for sure so you can control your heat/calorie ratio. ultra light is not very practical so i hear. beyond that its all about gear preference for pots, pack, layers, tarps, etc.

there is quite a bit of info on the interwebs about all sorts of gear you need for winter camping. the info available is actually pretty awesome. i would say the hardest part is getting out of a nice warm bed to freeze you tits off to put your gear on....

hope this helps...
-Jon

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads