Winter Boots…advice/suggestions? experience?

hitchhikerben

Reaction score
So I'm looking to buy some nice winter boots that can withstand winters in the dakotas and stuff, while still holding up under wet winter conditions common around the northeastern US. Obviously walking a ton is a must. Anyone have any suggestions? I've had my eye on some keens, some rocky blizzard stalkers, and really just snooping around amazon trying to see what's up, but y'all can totally give me better advice than basically most other people

S

sasquatch

Not sure, would depend what you'll be doing with your shoe. If you are doing actual walking I'd suggest something like these: unviewable link.
Salomon Men's Deemax 2 Dry Winter Boot

Use with gaiters. Wear 1 or 2 pair thin socks. Tape as needed. If you are doing even a moderate distance for multiple days, not wearing socks will destroy your feet fast. I dont own these boots, but lot of people like them. I own pair of solomon hiking boots and they've be great. I'll mostly use a lighter shoe or sandal now for warm weather hiking though.

Dmac

Reaction score
gortex lined Danner boots. i have had mine since 1987 when i was in the army. very comfy and great for long marches, or just standing around in. i wear mine every winter and they are still in great shape. they are kind of expensive, but footwear should not be skimped on, especially if you plan on walking a long way in them.

D

Deleted member 20

I have a pair of Chipewa that have thinsulate ultra & a waterproof membrane that maybe goretex. They have lasted many winters well over 10

Joshicus

Reaction score
I have a pair of redwing logger boots that have lasted me a good 8 years or so. Also, if you're not going to be walking on pavement as it might wear out the soles really quick, try Kamik insulated rubber boots, i have a pair of them and they are awesome for sub zero temps. They are made in Canada so you know they are built for the cold. Rave reviews on amazon for them, i bought mine for 50 bucks and free shipping.

Last edited:

Dmac

Reaction score
if you are just interested in keeping your feet warm, for cheap, a pair of "totes" slip on rubber rain boots work great. you can find a pair for 15 bucks or so. and they can go over any type of shoe or boot. won't hold up to long walks but keep ya warm while at camp or on the train.

S

sasquatch

It looks like there are a lot of good suggestions for quality and affordable winter boots. Remember that a lot of this depends on your needs. Rubber and synthetic materials will better insulate than leather. You should also consider weight and design of the upper if you will be doing a lot of walking. For a lot of walking in cold weather deeper snow I recommend Solomon nitro gtx snow boot. It has synthetic material around bottom that weighs less and insulates better than leather but is les likely to crack than some of the rubber ones. Gortex will breath better than rubber or leather too. There is a split upper to allow better mobility. Columbia bugaboot omniheat is another with similar design to consider. Both of these boots are reasonably priced and lightweight. Solomon tundra boot would another good choice, heavier but warmer and more waterproof than others in this post. Remember to get boot with the appropriate temp rating, too low or too high and you may end up with damp boot or cold feet. Temp rating is generally 10 - 20 below actual comfort.

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads