Wikithreads setup finished (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, this announcement is to let everyone know that the wikithreads system is now up and functioning. I'm taking a page from Reddit and sticking a thread to the top of the list of almost every forum section where users can all edit/add information related to that subject. This will give users a space to compile the most relevant and interesting threads from StP and elsewhere on the internet in one spot:

Screenshot_2020-06-27 Travel Gear.png

You can find a directory of all wikithreads from all forum areas here:

On each wikithread, you can add or edit information by clicking the big green edit button:

Screenshot_2020-06-27 More resources for travel gear - Squat the Planet.png

So, hopefully, this will make it easier for people to find useful information in a somewhat more static listing than what forum threads can provide.

I could REALLY use a lot of help adding and updating the information on these pages, so if you have some time, please add anything you think might be useful (especially links to good StP threads that might be getting buried under other discussions!).

As always, feeback is appreciated!

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

roamingsnake

Pilgrim
I noticed that after a thread is edited, it simply says, "last edited by a moderator." Was this intentional? If so, please feel free to disregard!

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
I noticed that after a thread is edited, it simply says, "last edited by a moderator." Was this intentional? If so, please feel free to disregard!

yeah that's the default phrasing. it's because the forum system wasn't designed to do wiki-style content and i'm basically jerry-rigging it to do so. i'm hoping that a decent wiki addon will be released for xenforo eventually.

that said, we (admins/mods) still have the ability to see who made what edits where and when, so thankfully it's not that big of a deal.

roamingsnake

Pilgrim
yeah that's the default phrasing. it's because the forum system wasn't designed to do wiki-style content and i'm basically jerry-rigging it to do so. i'm hoping that a decent wiki addon will be released for xenforo eventually.

that said, we (admins/mods) still have the ability to see who made what edits where and when, so thankfully it's not that big of a deal.
Thank you for the clarification, sounds good to me! And you answered my next question ahead of time (would've been "is there any concern for accountability?" but since mods can see, no issues there).

In any case, looks good so far and I'm glad to have the system in place! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$90.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $90.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $90.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.