Completed / Resolved Question Why was Rob Nothing banned? And other musings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FrumpyWatkins

I deleted myself
Like I see in his signature that "he wasted time" and made "racist remarks". But what actually transpired? I am kind of getting tired of seeing long term, friendly, and extremely knowledgeable users being banned for what may be possible trivial internet banter, or an isolated incident, or just dumb shit. Especially when the people doing the banning may not actually know these people in real life. Like I really have to force myself to fit into a PC mold to stick around here anymore, it's kind of getting frustrating. It's against what I stand for. It's an insulting misinterpretation of the values some us here stand for.

I've been here for 10 years, it's stupid to log back in to see people I have become friendly with, be barred from the site because the internet police think they're somehow a Gibraltar of social justice, when they don't know the first thing about rights and justice, and have not actually practiced social justice IRL, or even know what it means to apply such teachings.

Maybe Rob Nothing did make racist remarks, I don't know, I haven't been around much recently. Maybe he did waste time, again I don't know. Maybe he was drunk. But what about all the good stuff he contributed, you're really going to have all his good posts say he is a a "racist dbag". That's a god complex, unless you know him in real life, I think that's unfair to do.

This place isn't the bastion of anarchism and punk values on the internet that it once was. It's sad. It has become a politically correct "normie" discussion board, designed to stroke a few certain someones egos. Which is the antithesis of everything it once was. There is an air of daftness floating through here that is becoming overwhelming and sickening.

The website was ruined when it branched out from train hopping and squatting discussion to be honest. I've said this before, it opened it up to a whole other dimension of discussion which detracted from its original purpose.

I'm losing interest. I don't care anymore. I just hope when I am ultimately banned, the friends I have made here are able to somehow track me down.

Thanks.

anterrabae

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Threads
Current Location
754 Weather Vane Dr, Borrego Springs, CA 92004, USA
Reactions
89% 1% 10%
If dude wasnt effectively asking to be banned well then Im kilt. You reap what you sew.

and speaking of reaping.. the creator of stp is a smart man. youre right, this is the internet, and people can do whatever they darn well please on the internet. If they wanna be crude obnoxious jerks, so be it. they wanna be genderless, then bam *tick* genderless. if they wanna write hateful remarks without physical or judicial retaliation, bam. they want to ban hammer, bam, hammer time. or if they decide to capitalize and invest in certain pop culture niches and want to turn what is rightfully theirs into a product line and make the mula, then so it shall be. I really dont see anything wrong with that, quite honestly.

other musings.. have you got a facebook, frumpy?

OP
OP
F

FrumpyWatkins

I deleted myself

zim

Programmer Person
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Mexico
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
fuck the desert. im no sand nigger, albiet i do wear a shirt on my head time to time.

unless you are a complete alcoholic, drug abuser, fanatic, attention whore, or couch surfer on a dick sucking marathon
when confronted:

i believe in the freedom of speech

[...]

i am a politically uncorrect, somewhat racist bastard.
We don't tolerate these sorts of people on the board. I am sure that anyone on the butt end of his racist, misogynistic, and homophobic remarks (such as myself) would agree. He may have been drunk, yet being drunk is not an excuse for dropping the phrase "sand nigger."

OP
OP
F

FrumpyWatkins

I deleted myself
@zim Yeah as you can see, around, 25 minutes ago, I confirmed I read cantcures post. I don't think there is any need for you to go and post the quotes in this thread. I think that is a little redundant, and frankly offensive to pollute another thread with that stuff.

Please edit them out. Thanks. Also putting what he said in quotations doesn't make it any better. You're being just as offensive, you could have simply said the "stuff he said" or something along those lines.

zim

Programmer Person
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Mexico
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
@zim Yeah as you can see, around, 25 minutes ago, I confirmed I read cantcures post. I don't think there is any need for you to go and post the quotes in this thread. I think that is a little redundant, and frankly offensive to pollute another thread with that stuff.

Please edit them out. Thanks. Also putting what he said in quotations doesn't make it any better. You're being just as offensive, you could have simply said the "stuff he said" or something along those lines.
Everyone knows the difference between using "nigger" as part of a civil discussion, and using it in a pejorative/racist context.

I'm only pointing out the obvious. You admittedly didn't know what had transpired, but immediately make the assumption that overzealous "PC anarchism" is to blame, and rant about how the board has been overrun by PC normies who no longer uphold punk and anarchist values. If you have issues with the way that the board is run you can express them in a constructive manner. In this case I don't think there's any contention surrounding racial slurs. It is very, very hard to get banned on StP. You have to fuck up really badly, like Rob Nothing did. Have you considered that, as in this case, you might be jumping to assumptions too soon, given that you don't have the details (or the desire to look for them) surrounding bans on the board?

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
I don't know if this info will help but its never a quick decision to warn or ban someone. We do take into account the rules of the forum, the views of the community and those of the member potentially being banned. There is always a behind the scenes conversation going on where we do our best to keep everyone happy and do what is best for the community at large, but unfortunately we can't always keep everyone happy.

The forum rules are clear if people choose to break them and even when given multiple warnings reply with a total disregard for community values then they have basically made the decision this isn't the right place for them.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Jambo Organizer
Threads
Current Location
Slab City, CA
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
when confronted:

We don't tolerate these sorts of people on the board. I am sure that anyone on the butt end of his racist, misogynistic, and homophobic remarks (such as myself) would agree. He may have been drunk, yet being drunk is not an excuse for dropping the phrase "sand nigger."
You beat me to it; I was LITERALLY just about to re-post the same comment.

THERE IS *NO* EXCUSE FOR CASUAL RACISM.

OP
OP
A

A New Name

I deleted myself
This is the difference between "left" anarchism and "right" anarchism : putting community ahead of doing whatever the hell you Think you want. Besides, it's quite impossible for a community to be healthy having members that are disrespectful against more than half of it. I'd call it social natural selection.
The alt light crew (the mentality being known for being prejudiced against the other sex, sexualities and races) eventually would destroy itself if not left to mingle with the rest, being cancerous as it is.
Real ("left") anarchism is wisdom; "Right" anarchism (Ancaps ehn?) is edgy egotism.

That was my musing.

Engineer J Lupo

Uncivilized Bachelor Daddy
Staff member
Threads
Current Location
666 E. Home Ave. Fresno, Ca. 93728
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
Sounds drunk to be honest. Unfortunate he had to have been banned, would rather like see more use of a post deletion/temporary suspension system be put in place instead of the banishment.
Yeah as you can see, around, 25 minutes ago, I confirmed I read cantcures post. I don't think there is any need for you to go and post the quotes in this thread
I think that is a little redundant
Redundant, I don't really agree with you. See, you're continuing to champion Rob's cause talkin bout temporary suspensions in lieu of perm bans and seemingly making an excuse for his behavior because he "sounds drunk". You can't drink yourself into racism, it doesn't just bubble up from nowhere. Also Zim was dropping quotes directly related to your following comments. You played the drunk card, he countered with Rob's own words calling out alcoholism with negative connotation. Your boy is clearly a racist, whether he's drunk or not.

Like I really have to force myself to fit into a PC mold to stick around here anymore, it's kind of getting frustrating
Really? Are you really having a hard time with that? What are you having to shove down exactly?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

A New Name

I deleted myself
always so perspicacious.
..............................................................................................................................................................

Worse than open declarations of ethnic insecurity is HYPOCRISY: Overt denial but with secretly held prejudices. i.e., people who shout and post and declare how liberally minded their social politics are but in practice non-mainstream groups make them feel nervous. What we as humans have to deal with is an old, old vestigial part of us that prefers the like us, in group types, and finds the not like us, outgroup members scary, intimidating, offensive etc.

As far anarchy I am firmly in the Stirner side of the spectrum. i.e., Good fences make good neighbors.

I personally think that almost everyone is racist or prejudiced. Look deep inside yourself: peer into the abyss. And see what might stare back at you.
That condescending tone ill defends your tribalist conceits. The conceit against conceited people hardly could be criticised as hypocrisy. There are rational exceptions, like the violent suppression of violent ideas and ideologies.

As far as "Stirner" goes, if one can't a priori trust another then that one can't trust himself; some soul searching is in order.

Shine the light of reason into that abyss and you'll see that your ghosts were mere shadows.

Last edited by a moderator:

VikingAdventurer

Jambo Organizer
Threads
Current Location
Slab City, CA
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
You can't drink yourself into racism...
^^^ This right here. You're either racist or you're not.
Really? Are you really having a hard time with that? What are you having to shove down exactly?
This is an excellent line of inquiry.

...I personally think that almost everyone is racist or prejudiced, in some way or other. Some people: maybe even 99% of people, need an 'Other' to truly defne, delineate, and understand themselves....
I disagree with this. As Humans, we have the capability to grow and evolve.
I know that I am most definitely NOTHING like the way I was as a young person (Jr high/high school age), having only my parents as an example and source of knowledge (I was homeschooled my whole life).

I'm a much better person now than my parents were even able to IMAGINE back then, and I've long since surpassed them in terms of personal growth and social awareness.

OP
OP
A

A New Name

I deleted myself
yea individuals evolve but the masses do not. Viz: the states east of the Rockies and south of 38th parallel. We're talking on a societal level here. Tribalism is alive and well in the 21st century: viz: Hutus and Tutsi in Rwanda; Palestine; the Bosnian conflicts; etc etc ad nauseam. Dont blame tha messenger
We're not talking about masses here but individuals. This is an online forum after all.
As for mass, or mob, mentality: it is a real phenomenon but so is refusing to let that override reason and keeping your wits. In other words, with enough sufficiently evolved individuals there are no masses to speak of.
You're branching off into other situations to justify conceit in this situation but it's not justified even in those. I know sophism when I face it and I already had too many of those cases without calling it what it is, so I am just going to stop now.

OP
OP
A

A New Name

I deleted myself
Sophism?....Sophism?!! How dare you??!! If this was irl i'd challenge you to a gentleman's agreement. Here is the crux of it tho: yes, that guy was a dirty bird, and he said stuff that is obnoxious and in poor taste. Who knows why he felt the need to spew on an online forum. But Frumpy has a point: dewd was a contributor for years and years: its not cool to off him after one minor setback.

And as for tribalism, racism, prejudice, and other such stuff, no, we will never be free of it. It can only be suppressed. ...
Humanity has had over 25000 years to break out of caveman mode, and yet we still have soccer hooligans and tiger moms and war and gangs and genocide and trump. So yea, wake me up for the Singularity. *snickers malevolently*

The desire to form a mob is humanity's most fervent desire. Many people dont feel secure except when they are dissolved the embrace of a faceless, anonymous, amorphous blob. These 2/3 of the species ae the essential followers. They must have collective identity for without it their fragile sense of Self would implode like an amoeba in a bleach bath. Individuality is scary for some people. That is why people label race, and other labels.
This is irl, but thru a digital medium.
In your opinion are all those years of contributions worth much if the individual isn't found capable of honestly not being contemptuous of fellow members of the community based on anything other than attitude?

And about the followers, do you suppose it might be an unalterable condition or that it may just be the result of current social conditions? Because it seems to me that if just the "education" system wasn't actually a conditioning program then the number of followers might be quite different, not to talk of the remainder of the conditioning. I don't necessarily disagree that there may be an unalterable factor involved but I do find it irrelevant while the myriad forms of conditioning exist. Just because these may escape attention it doesn't imply that then it's "just human nature" at work.

VikingAdventurer

Jambo Organizer
Threads
Current Location
Slab City, CA
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
... Here is the crux of it tho: yes, that guy was a dirty bird, and he said stuff that is obnoxious and in poor taste. Who knows why he felt the need to spew on an online forum. But Frumpy has a point: dewd was a contributor for years and years: its not cool to off him after one minor setback...
This was not "one minor setback". His comments were not "Obnoxious and in poor taste", he was advocating hate speech; something that if *I* were a mod or admin, would be a HELL of a lot less patient and lenient with than the current group. They are REALLY good at being objective. As @zim said:
It is very, very hard to get banned on StP. You have to fuck up really badly...

... Many people don't feel secure except when they are dissolved the embrace of a faceless, anonymous, amorphous blob... Individuality is scary for some people...
We're different on here. Most of us on here have CHOSEN to escape and break away from the faceless, amorphous blob, and to seek out and EMBRACE our individuality, in whatever form(s) it comes.

... its never a quick decision to warn or ban someone. We do take into account the rules of the forum, the views of the community and those of the member potentially being banned. There is always a behind the scenes conversation going on... The forum rules are clear if people choose to break them and even when given multiple warnings reply with a total disregard for community values then they have basically made the decision this isn't the right place for them.
Once again, It's REALLY difficult to get banned from here. One would have to actively TRY to get banned, via directly asking, or indirectly asking by repeatedly breaking the rules of the forums, and spewing hate speech.

zim

Programmer Person
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Mexico
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
It's REALLY difficult to get banned from here. One would have to actively TRY to get banned, via directly asking, or indirectly asking by repeatedly breaking the rules of the forums, and spewing hate speech.
The rules aren't that complicated. Outside of spammers and other extreme cases, there's only 1 thing that will get you warning points and eventually a ban. From the rules:

Flaming, trolling, and hate speech will not be tolerated.

Remember, these boards are open to all walks of life and with that comes the need to respect them all. So please, leave your hate at the door.

It isn't exactly setting a high bar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

A New Name

I deleted myself
Naw, its cool. I know what youre sayin. I disapprove of hate but i also equally disapprove of society being blind to its own intrinsic vulnerabilities.
Our discussion then is about whether this is an intrinsic or a conditional situation. As I see it here "reality" isn't objective but subjective and it can be what you choose to believe, the only difference being that the second view allows for conscious evolution.

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
The rules aren't that complicated. Outside of spammers and other extreme cases, there's only 1 thing that will get you warning points and eventually a ban:

Flaming, trolling, and hate speech will not be tolerated.

We will not tolerate hate speech in any form. This includes but is not limited to:

• Racist slang terms
    • Hateful comments based on skin color or background
    • Religious bashing or intolerance
    • Gay bashing (includes using the term 'gay' to describe something negative)
    • Sexist or misogynistic material
    • Faith-based prejudicial statements
    • Derogatory remarks
    • Poor taste jokes about these topics
Remember, these boards are open to all walks of life and with that comes the need to respect them all. So please, leave your hate at the door.

Also, we are not interested in censoring a negative slur if it's used in the context of a civil discussion. For example, we all know the difference between using the word 'nigger' in a discussion, and using it as hate speech towards someone. The latter will not be tolerated.

It isn't exactly setting a high bar.
I'll come out and say it. I fucking HATE homeless people. :mad:

The way the smell, how fucking poor they are and their weird affinity with cardboard. ::soapbox::

Just like, get a fucking house already. And a job. ::rules::

I wish the government would do something about those disenfranchised fucks. Kill 'em....or something.::mask::::finger::

OP
OP
A

A New Name

I deleted myself
I just cc'ed you some awesome papers
I'll give them a look, thanks.

On a much lower intellectually respectable form I'll just say it comes down to whether you prefer beauty or glory and recommend watching "Cloud Atlas", not as an argument but for your pleasure.
Oh, and of course I'll say that I find this beauty quite glorious and that form of glory too ugly to choose. Maybe pitiful would be more appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.