Why do you travel/want to travel?

Birdy

Reaction score
Being my curious self I've always questioned people's motives for a lot of stuff. I question my motives all the time and wonder what draws me to the idea of sleeping under the stars and riding trains and walking long stretches of highway.

My reasons for wanting to travel are pretty simple and yet some complex.
I like adventure and I need constant change in my life or I feel unsatisfied and scared.
When I think about fitting in with modern society I get really freaked out. I just don't see myself living the way my mom and dad do. Getting up, working, coming home to eat and then going to sleep. I don't wanna be in school right now and yet here I am waking up every morning at 5:30 to goto a building for 8 hours and deal with a bunch of kids my age who have their own things going on. And then I get home and get ready to goto work for another four to five hours. It drives me nuts. I goto school cuz I have to. I work because my parents want me too and as long as they give me a nice place to live I'm going to try and please them as best I can.
But boy when I turn 18 I can't wait to get out there and live the way I want. It'll be hard and not always the way I picture it to be, but I can't wait to find out for myself.

So all that being said, what draws you to the road/tracks =)?

Reactions: todd and Mankini
Reaction score
the reason i want to travel is because i want that sense of adventure that living in one place, knowing the same people, doing the same things just doesnt satisfy. I want to be able to see and do everything because this is my only shot at life and i dont want to be just another average joe, working my life away just to come home and drink myself into oblivion and have a life i dont enjoy to the fullest. i dont want to have to pay to live and live to work. i want to leave as soon as i can but i have some things i need to take care of before i do.

Reactions: Mankini

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I love to travel because I love the fact that I get to taste the feeling of freedom, love, hate, and see places that those drones in cubicals only dream about or dont even know exist. It's the best and worse that life has to offer, without both of those, you have nothing.

Rise 609

Reaction score
I travel because it gives me a whole nother sense of freedom that I cant have by being in one place. I enjoy seeing new things and meeting new people. Plus whenever im on the road it just makes me a happier person all around. In a week i'm gonna be off on the road again, this time im planning on visiting as many states that i've never been to as I possibly can before even thinking of comming back.

S

soleildegemme

The world is too beautiful to be seen through other people. I want it to be in my eyes, in my lungs, in my feet.
I could never settle down anywhere, unless I'd already seen every single possible place to settle, and had a true choice.

The people. Beautiful, dirty, bearded people.

Being real is just too boring and ugly.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Adventure - The wind against my face is a great feeling.

Stories - A few years ago, I realized that I was going to be a boring-ass grandpa some day--that had to change.

People - When I've got the time, I'd rather hitch my way somewhere than rideshare, because each new person you ride with, is a random person (not a bad apple yet! tho, it's coming...)

Learning - Every ride, city, person, experience (good OR bad), seems to teach you something you don't learn in formal settings. Living out of a backpack makes you realize how much of what you own isn't an actual need. The weight of the backpack makes you thinking about getting rid of something unimportant. You see the world from another angle, at another level.

moe

Reaction score
-i want to expereience the adventure.
-i'm afraid of being tied down and having to 'earn a living'. i can't sit on my ass anymore, and i'll leave the summer im 18.
-jack kerouac set my mind loose and i want to write about all the shit towns i go to, and the crazy people i meet, and i don't need/want a fucking lameass publishing deal.

M

Mouse

I like seeing new things. meeting new people. creating a new family and life on a daily basis.

granted, I can make it just fine in the "normal" world. but it doesn't satisfy me. I want to set myself apart from the status quo and do my own thing. That, and I hate working for assholes and paying bills.

Shade

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I travel simply because I coannot stand being bound by what our society says is right work to live and live to work. That's not my bag. I cannot stand by and watch my life go nowhere in 1 place I must be free humans have freewill for a reason

wartomods

Reaction score
wanderlust, pretty lame, there is really no purpose or meaning for me...
but i am more of a weekend warrior, though

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Living out of a backpack makes you realize how much of what you own isn't an actual need. The weight of the backpack makes you thinking about getting rid of something unimportant.
so true.

i hate getting trapped in a dull routine everyday. i like the freedom of living spontaneously...going where the flow may take me. sleeping out under the open stars out in the elements with some of the most beautiful views all for myself - and not paying a cent for it. not knowing what's gonna happen or where i will end up. creating my own story and destiny....

society is shit - they're trying to spoon-feed us shit to turn our minds/spirits to shit. i don't want to be part of the 'norm' or fit into any mold. everything comes in a box, wrapped in plastic stuffed in a box, wrapped in more plastic that comes shipped in a box delivered straight to your mailBOX, that you can order right from your computer (box) while you sit wasting away watching American Idull on television (box) eating stale t.v. dinners that come in a BOX, until you have to go to work sitting in a cubicle (box) all day, so you barely have enough to pay rent to live in a BOX.
almost nothing that i can think of in nature is BOX shaped. it's all curves. round. the earth is round. I want to live with nature and travel aROUND the earth. so that's about the gist of it......sorry bout the long tangent.

Reactions: Odin and Ristoncor

genghis braun

Reaction score
I want to experience as much as I possibly can in my lifetime, and traveling helps me do that. I just came back from my first trip recently, and it was the best 2 months of my life.

Rash L

Reaction score
the adventure, the freedom, the experiences... and the stories other people tell, but no matter how many stories you listen to you will never get the most important details until you go out and live for yourself: the beauty of weeds on the side of the highway or flowers growing through the cracks... or even just great expanses of land that seem "empty" but when you look up close they are so full of life it just makes you want to sing. The routine of "normal" life doesnt give you the freedom or time to really look at the beauty of the small things in life. It helps you find love in the details that everyone is too busy to look at. I like meeting people because even if 90% of the people you meet are boring assholes, meeting and interacting with that 10% of cool people are what help me get through life as a happy person.

On top of all of this, I have had various "mental problems" for.. well as long as I can remember, but when I get out there and travel... when I get outside of my BOX (thats for you Iamwhatiam) almost all of those problems dissipate... and life just becomes so much easier for me. My anxieties go away when I gain my own freedom, and life is just so much easier. Most people would just say I'm a lazy bitch who doesnt want to work or have responsibilities (and that IS kind of true on some level), but I never feel happier than when I am traveling about... and that is a big factor for me.

drunken marauder

Reaction score
Hmmmm.. How bout cause I can??? I figure there will come a time when I cant.. And theres been a few of em already.... So why not take advantage of it alll......

Reactions: Odin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads