Question Why do people delete their accounts so much? (1 Viewer)

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV
So right when I'm like "hey, this guy is rad lets be friends" he deletes his account and I have no idea who he even is besides the stupid avatar. This has happened several times in two months. I wonder what the average attrition rate is here, like how long do people last? It's kinda like hey were all at this party together and then some people think the party is getting lame and leave. Whats the deal!!!???

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!
OP
Brodiesel710

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV
could they be bots? or phishers? or maybe people who just want to be more anonymous?
No its people who are like "fuck this" and delete their account. They just get sick of it guess.

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
Excellent question & fascinating to explore. We klingons can only speculate. I notice people appear to not like being disagreed with, contradicted, challenged, or called on their shit - myself included. Most of these recent apostates seem to fall in the last category.

Rounding second in life, my own picture has gotten bigger, with more space & time for my once-steadfast notions to evolve, grow, and/or switch altogether. The more of my own shit I've been forced to swallow, the easier it gets - eating my words, being wrong, mistaken, etc. 'Less difficult' would be better to describe - it's never easy or pleasant.

Anyway, conflict is unavoidable in any group; most of us struggle with inner conflict - how one deals (or not) with it is the measure of their character.

Last edited:

roughdraft

~
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
salisbury, maryland
ya people just decide it's wack and time to go, i know someone who deleted theirs recently so im inclined to believe none of them are bots. but yeah i dont see the point, just dip off would be better

IVth

Pilgrim
Current Location
suburbs
I almost deleted mine because I feel like I can't hack it traveling any more, and going on here just makes me want to travel, and I'm overall just a spaz lately and don't know what I want. It had nothing to do with the community I like the people and the conversations on here. I had a bad experience once hanging out with people from here but it had absolutely nothing to do with them. I turn into a schwilly monster sometimes. Also just general paranoia about the people and information on here being cataloged and monitored, no different than any other region of the internet. That's one perspective from a non bot. I like that people on here have different opinions and that the moderators don't put up with bullshit.

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Current Location
Australia
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Idk social media and forums and email lists can be stressful for some reason, especially if you've just joined - no matter what you say, someone is usually always gonna have something negative to say to you. Notifications stress me out, too.

When I first joined stp, I was intimidated by it and all the people who knew more than me and who already knew each other. Same with a certain email list I've been added to recently, posting on that stresses me out!

Not sure why these people deleted themselves but maybe it's just anxiety

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
The accounts yer talking about arnt bot accounts, those are deleted by other people (staff members).

If I had to guess ide say a good chunk of them are due to the person being upset about something, most likely they didn't get the responses they thought they would, or didn't get the attention from their 3 word intro post that they expected. I know of a few that deleted accounts after a altercation that basically made them look stupid and I think maybe they were embarrassed.

NineMoreSteps

Lurker
Current Location
TX
There's so many of them that I thought it was something people could turn on and off to anonymize their accounts while still being active. Lol I feel dumb.

OP
Brodiesel710

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV
I think theres some psychological shit going on. I think a lot of us in this scene are constantly trying to align our values with other people that think the same way, and sometimes this is to a fault. As we end up missing out on so much else by not being able to relate to others life experiences, beliefs, and ideas. It's like some tribal mentality thing going on. We compete for recognition through moral superiority. If, as a whole, STP user comments don't ultimately jive with your said lifestyle, one may start to feel that communicating on here is a waste of time. So naturally, you delete your account.

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Upstate
What i don't get is the need for the dramatic gesture of "I quit! I'm deleting my account! Fuck you oogles/elitists/whatever!"- it just seems so teenaged. But i suppose many are teenagers or not much older.

Why not just stop posting/looking at the site if they don't like it? I suppose will never know, since by definition, we will not be hearing from the self-deleted.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
like how long do people last? It's kinda like hey were all at this party together and then some people think the party is getting lame and leave. Whats the deal!!!???
well, while the perception might be that there are lots of people 'quitting' that isn't accurate, it's just more 'obvious' since they have the 'i deleted myself' banner. i can tell you just by eyeballing the logs that the average number of users deleting their accounts is around 1-2 per week at most.

looking at the 'reason for deletion' required by the system to process the deletion, most answers fall under:
  • changing user name by creating a new account
  • website not relevant to what i was looking for
  • n/a
  • i got in a disagreement with someone on the site
could they be bots? or phishers? or maybe people who just want to be more anonymous?
nope, these are real people, just about 100% of the time. although, some people do list their reason for deleting their account was to 'anonymize' themselves by creating an account that doesn't have their name in it, etc...

Excellent question & fascinating to explore. We klingons can only speculate. I notice people appear to not like being disagreed with, contradicted, challenged, or called on their shit - myself included. Most of these recent apostates seem to fall in the last category.
If I had to guess ide say a good chunk of them are due to the person being upset about something, most likely they didn't get the responses they thought they would, or didn't get the attention from their 3 word intro post that they expected. I know of a few that deleted accounts after a altercation that basically made them look stupid and I think maybe they were embarrassed.
What i don't get is the need for the dramatic gesture of "I quit! I'm deleting my account! Fuck you oogles/elitists/whatever!"- it just seems so teenaged. But i suppose many are teenagers or not much older.

Why not just stop posting/looking at the site if they don't like it? I suppose will never know, since by definition, we will not be hearing from the self-deleted.
mostly this is all correct, people get butthurt and take stuff personally that they probably shouldn't, and leave all in a huff, like FUCK YOU I HATE YOU

giphy-gif.50556_Why do people delete their accounts so much?_Questions & Feedback_Squat the Planet_8:50 AM

but those aren't the most common, they're just the loudest :p

RobHASboots

Current Location
Des Moines, IA
So right when I'm like "hey, this guy is rad lets be friends" he deletes his account and I have no idea who he even is besides the stupid avatar. This has happened several times in two months. I wonder what the average attrition rate is here, like how long do people last? It's kinda like hey were all at this party together and then some people think the party is getting lame and leave. Whats the deal!!!???
It's our throw-away culture.
The internet is the 99 CENT STORE of modern society.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $110.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Bey
You know...you're gone for a bit, you have some adventures, you come back, and StP is on fucking fire!...Jesus, people, y'all sank the Jamboree?
And our breathe will carry us forward when we don't have the strength to carry ourselves
Might head out again soon. Really missing the road. Currently in the Knoxville area
dumpsternavel wrote on AAAutin's profile.
Your cover photo is glory
We are moving the jamboree to New Orleans this year due to some personal disagreements between myself and the lead organizer of the slab city library. Details can be found on the Jambo information thread.
Fever in the funk house now
Fever in the funkhouse now
nearly got arrested this morning for graffiti crime! I wrote"nice toilet, five stars will shit here again" and this fucking KID who looked like a fucking boy scout wanted to arrest me !?!?!?!?!?!? did I get that drunk I woke up in north korea this morning ?
I regret to announce that I will no longer be associating myself with squat the planet due to a very deep and nuanced personal disagreement and subsequent disrespect. If you would like to get the full story, feel free to contact me directly. I will still be hosting this year's annual party as i have for the past four years.