Who wants to play Dungeons and Dragons in Slab City this winter? (1 Viewer)

WanderingBear

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Current Location
Arizona
This isn't directly related to the Jamboree, but I figured this might be worth posting here since I am planning on being in Slab City several weeks before the Jambo, and I know a few others might be doing the same.

Anyways, I'm hoping to set up a D&D game for the slabs this winter. I should be arriving in late September, at which point I would like to run the D&D campaign "Curse of Strahd" which is basically D&D meets Castlevania. Lots of undead, supernatural stuff, etc.

Other campaigns are a possibility though, since I will only be around the slabs for three months this year (Oct to Dec) so I'm not sure if we'll have enough time to make it all the way through CoS.

The usual 4 hour session once a week is the plan, but if players are willing to commit to twice a week that would open up more possibilities. Also, alcohol and food is encouraged, and I don't mind making it a bit of a party as long as you don't lose focus on the game and you can still roll your dice straight by the end of the night.

New players are welcome, this will be my first time being a Dungeon Master (DM), so I'll be learning as we go as well. Spectators are welcome as well.

So, this thread is to discuss details and logistics for anyone interested. Who's down?
I am def down for DnD (isnt alliteration fun?) 😁 Although I havent played since high school...

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
So it seems like we have the following slabbers signed up:
and a few others that are 'maybe' or will be arriving later in the season:
so, the way i'm seeing this going right now is that I'd like to start session 0 (where we set up our characters talk about the kind of game we want to play) in the first week of october.

i know not everyone is going to be there by then, but I'm hoping we'll have at least 3-4 of our core members to start with, then we can bring in guest appearances for those that are only visiting the slabs for a short period, and bring in other players that want to start late whenever they get here (I will write them into the story in some way that makes sense).

i'd like to cap things at 6 players at most (not counting guest appearances) since any more than that gets unweildly (for me at least).

anyways, those are my thoughts/plans right now. I haven't decided on whether to run Mines of Pandelver or Curse of Strahd, although I'm leaning towards the latter. Let me know if you have any opinions on this or anything else in this post/thread.

Last edited:
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
I came across this video trailer for the Neverwinter MMO 'Ravenloft' game, which mirrors the story in Curse of Strahd (CoS) almost exactly, so something to watch and get excited about the campaign... i'm mostly leaning towards doing CoS over Lost Mines of Pandelver (LMoP), since the setting seems a little more exciting, but LMoP does seem a lot easier to run for a new DM like myself. I wish there was a trailer like the one below for LMoP, but oh well. Check out the video and let me know if this gets you stoked or if you want to try a different setting.

jdrakeh

Lurker
Current Location
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
I'm stuck in Colorado for the foreseeable future but, as somebody who ran Curse of Strahd a couple of years ago, I wanted to offer advice!

First, the room descriptions for many of the mapped locations (particularly in Castle Ravenloft) are horribly edited, often assuming a specific point of entry, even if multiple entry points are present and equally valid. Plan accordingly!

Secondly, maybe re-work the Amber Temple encounters. I won't post spoilers here but, if you want specifics, Matt, PM me and I'll offer my thoughts.

Finally, there are some reeeeally cool story elements but, as written, they aren't player-facing at all and so they're completely wasted. As above, if you want details, PM me.

Other than those three issues, it's an awesome campaign with some great opportunities for both combat and roleplay (particularly through forging alliances with various NPCs).

Last edited:
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
so just an update for anyone interested in this, nothing much has really come out of this thread or the discord chat channel about this, and that makes sense for a lot of reasons (logistics of who will be where and when) so i've just settled on rebooting this thread and letting folks know that if they want to get in on this game as a weekly player, the Session 0 for this is going to be the last week of September (basically, when @Cornelius Vango gets back to the slabs).

the 'session 0' is where we all get together, make your characters, and go over what kind of game you all want to play (difficulty, combat vs roleplay, serious vs laidback, etc) and my house rules for the campaign. We will be playing Curse of Strahd, and will likely finish in January.

soooo if you want to get in (even as a guest player) you know where to find us, but i probably won't be updating this thread from here on.

definitely excited to play with you all though, we have a great group lined up and im already having a ton of fun planning things out, i think everyone involved is really going to like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

nearly got arrested this morning for graffiti crime! I wrote"nice toilet, five stars will shit here again" and this fucking KID who looked like a fucking boy scout wanted to arrest me !?!?!?!?!?!? did I get that drunk I woke up in north korea this morning ?
I regret to announce that I will no longer be associating myself with squat the planet due to a very deep and nuanced personal disagreement and subsequent disrespect. If you would like to get the full story, feel free to contact me directly. I will still be hosting this year's annual party as i have for the past four years.
Happy :) 8 more days till my babe is out <3
2800 k this past week or so on teh vespa!ODIN give me a medal !
Scooped up some dirty kids from the USA at walmart. Glad we caught ya's and had some time to party before you headed out. Safe travels Sasha and Meaghan! You're fucking awesome!
Lovely, and greasy... duh
Turns out, @Rhubarb Dwyer is even more handsome in person.
Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!