Which State has the best homeless resources in your opinion

Hatman7291

Reaction score
Ive been traveling around about 4 years through NC TN and Ohio and havent found anything too worthy of sticking around for. I was wondering which states any of you would recommend that would have good jobs and resources for the homeless. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Poptart

Reaction score
California. haha

Food stamps that let you buy hot-food like McDonalds and Dominos, really swanky homeless shelters, allowance cards, free bus tickets to any place in the USA that will answer the phone and say "yeah, i know that guy"... not to mention the weed trimming scene. if you show up in the north with a sign and some fiskars you could make quite a bit of moolah. then they have a public bus thats like $10 to ride that goes all the way from Eureka to Ukiah on the 101. Thats a huge distance for super cheap... Hitchhiking is a socially acceptable thing to do to. you wont get those nasty looks you get in places like Texas.

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The rents here now are fucked but if you don't mind camping in the woods and biking to town daily, there's still plenty of jobs here in Austin, Texas.

Hatman7291

Reaction score
Yeah that seems to be a problem in all the places Ive been. Ive even tried transition programs but their rules hold you back from making money and getting on your feet. All Im looking for is a place to lay my head, a good job and a way to build back up and Im willing to go to any place that will help with that.

Poptart

Reaction score
All Im looking for is a place to lay my head, a good job and a way to build back up and Im willing to go to any place that will help with that.
If you're under 24 you can totally hit up the US job corps. they'll give you free trade education, a place to sleep, free food, help finding work in that trade and give you $2,000 just for finishing the program. you can go as many times as you like till the day you turn 25.

There's also the Navy or the Merchant Marine, but who's down for being lost at sea?

Hatman7291

Reaction score
Im 38, I just wanna settle somewhere and get my momentum back. A place that will give me enough longevity to get me another vehicle and my own spot for a while.

BennyLurks

Reaction score
Boulder Colorado has a homeless shelter that helps you get a place and healthcare. Food stamps and did I mention all the marijuana in the world to smoke? Tourists to drop items to find. Homeless shelter overflow is in church basements and is more fun than the shelter. Expensive city but great to see and resource out.

I also went into a Job and family services office in Steamboat Springs Colorado and left with 200 dollars in EBT immediately, Medicaid and a job offer from the lady working in less than an hour. Work at the popular ski resort and ride the free bus. Easy living.

RKbrono

Reaction score
As far as services go, you're usually better heading out west. Salt Lake isn't bad is you can get past the book of Mormon vibe. Cali is also good for services and resources but a mfer to reestablish yourself at. Seattle is fun but Seattle is for when you've just accepted the life. Can't attest to Colorado. Only passed through. Expect for all the weed you can smoke. It's nice.

• Useful
Reactions: 00kissmarrykick00

JayD

Reaction score
Im 38, I just wanna settle somewhere and get my momentum back. A place that will give me enough longevity to get me another vehicle and my own spot for a while.
Although I still plan on traveling, I relate to this so much currently. Hard staying optimistic but I wish the best for you brother.

varis

Reaction score
Dayton, Ohio has a Men's Shelter called Gateway. Other people can be dangerous or anyoyying but it's in an old prison. Gurranteed a mat or a bed almost. Three meals if you stay. A program. All difficult if you value freedom. I sold cigs to pay for tobacco and tubes so could feed that particular addiction and whatnot. Dollar store down the street if on foodstamps. Up. Huge hill though.

I don have the patience or tolerance to make it though the program. Foodstamps, hud, caseworker etc. Have to stay in place to get it. But it was a good place to regroup and replan. Bus goes straight there from Central hub to go anywhere in Dayton and surrounding areas. Dayton is between Cincinnati and Cleveland I think. Anyways... Not the most comfortable I've seen but if I needed to regroup that's were I would for a couple weeks before heading out.

I think... Maybe it was Phoenix Arizona has a whole shelter system where ALL the resources are on one almost compound like area. Huge homeless population, but they had everything from foodstamps, shorts, housing office, everything in several buildings right near each other. I was so tempted to stay, and take care of everything I needed o get back on my feet, but they offered me a ticket home, and it was unbearable hot for me at the time.

Usagi

Reaction score
Been awhile now since I was there but Jax Beach area in Florida seemed pretty decent. Lots of resources for homeless. Weather is warm all year round. Only issue with weather is the daily thunderstorms and humidity. Takes a couple of weeks to get accustomed to it but once you are you can tolerate any heat anywhere. I wasn't traveling or homeless when I lived there. But I did work a job that took me all over the city. I would talk to homeless and the traveling kids almost everyday. None of them were starving and most of them seemed to be happy or at least content. When I drove home along I-295 everyday there would be lots of them at the major exits leading to westside and the towns surrounding the city. The ones I talked to claimed to panhandle my daily salary in just a few hours at the morning and afternoon rush hours. The police do not really bother them from what I know.

If you're willing to work a regular or part-time job there are plenty of opportunities in the city. I did landscaping work there for a couple of years and the pay was decent. Did not need a bank account. There was a check cashing place right next to our home base. Got hired off the street and started the next day. They hire in August and September every year. If you can make your way into the city soon you should easily find something. If you don't want to work out in the heat there are plenty of indoor gigs in the city as well. I was making enough to support myself and a girlfriend. Rent isn't insane like other cities I've lived in. Lots of people looking to sublet. Public transportation in cheap and decent. Most of the city and outlying areas are walkable. The roughest areas and open air drug markets are easy enough to avoid.

All that said I left that area for a reason. I will probably never return and I've heard on here that it's hard to get into and out of Florida without a car of your own. I just thought I'd mention JAX because it sounds like you want to settle somewhere for a few months and stack cash. JAX treated me fine in that respect and the lack of cold/bad weather excluding the daily thunderstorms appeals to me. Being stuck out in the elements isn't that bad when you don't have to deal with the cold. Lots of people I met in JAX were camping either in the woods or right in the city. The cops didn't bother them from what I saw. There aren't massive tent cities like out west (yet). JAX had a lot of places handing out free food to homeless, offering shelter, and employment. One of the old crack heads on our crew would throw an old jacket on and get a bag of the free food from time to time. The food was good. They even gave out fresh fruit and hot meals.

JAX beach seemed like the best spot in the city. Just avoid the gated communities and rougher areas and you'll be fine. It's a good place to stop if you plan to go deeper in Florida. JAX is more southern than the rest of the state. Florida is backwards. The more south you go in that state the more unlike the rest of the south it is. Just be aware that the heat is sometimes unbearable and the woods is different down there. Often times you can't see your feet and you'll be swarmed by flying needles any time you step into it. I knew a few people that had been camping in the woods around JAX for years and claimed it wasn't that bad. But I wouldn't do it. I also saw a lot of people set-up under highway/interstate overpasses and bridges. One guy I saw near a property we maintained lived there for years without being bothered.

Usagi

Reaction score
pittsburgh will pay your rent for you these days, not sure how much longer it's gonna last. There's a guy on STP i think that's doing this, offered up a couch at one point

My only worry would be getting stuck there over winter. I was just in the city visiting my Grandparent's old house and where they met. The entire area has really gone down hill since my last visit 10 years ago. The outskirts are really nice though. I really like how all the fire stations serve alcohol and food. Most have gambling. You need a membership card to get in but most of the locals seemed nice enough that they'd let you in and buy you beers as long as you seem alright.

I spent a few days around Conneaut lake where they're in the process of tearing down every original home and replacing it with McMansions. A little acre lot there sells for several million dollars. Surprisingly, the locals are not very stuck up. Most are down to earth people that lucked out and won the lottery in life. I walked around the lake for three days and was never bothered. Everyone was friendly. I even stopped and partied with some of the locals around a bonfire. If I had the money I'd probably buy a house there. The lake freezes over in the winter and you can play pond hockey on it.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
I got off the street in NYC. I will say it's a mixed bag. If you're under 24, come here. If you're not, go elsewhere. Streetworks at 33 Essex Street in Manhattan has been helping homeless youth and travelers for decades, I first went there when I was 18 when I first visited the city and they're still there today. They have a psychologist on site that can diagnose you with anything you may have, they have attorneys that will fight for you if you qualify for Social Security and they have a person who does Section 8 housing paperwork (say hi to Johanna for me if you meet her) for you. The only downside is in order to qualify for section 8 as a homeless person, you need to spend a year on the street, this includes the fucking harsh winters we have, or 2 years in the shelter system. NYC has some really nice places to sleep and you can usually find a decent squat, but most of them got wiped out after Sandy, cuz people were on a rebuilding frenzy afterwards.

If you're over 24, you're going to have to go through the Department of Homeless Services and they're absolute fucking dogshit. They're only open for like 2 hours a day and you have to do most of the shit yourself, including applying for section 8, getting your own doctor, etc etc etc.

Reactions: sevedemanos

sevedemanos

Reaction score
I got off the street in NYC. I will say it's a mixed bag. If you're under 24, come here. If you're not, go elsewhere. Streetworks at 33 Essex Street in Manhattan has been helping homeless youth and travelers for decades, I first went there when I was 18 when I first visited the city and they're still there today. They have a psychologist on site that can diagnose you with anything you may have, they have attorneys that will fight for you if you qualify for Social Security and they have a person who does Section 8 housing paperwork (say hi to Johanna for me if you meet her) for you. The only downside is in order to qualify for section 8 as a homeless person, you need to spend a year on the street, this includes the fucking harsh winters we have, or 2 years in the shelter system. NYC has some really nice places to sleep and you can usually find a decent squat, but most of them got wiped out after Sandy, cuz people were on a rebuilding frenzy afterwards.

If you're over 24, you're going to have to go through the Department of Homeless Services and they're absolute fucking dogshit. They're only open for like 2 hours a day and you have to do most of the shit yourself, including applying for section 8, getting your own doctor, etc etc etc.

seattle has the same. orion youth center, roots, that day center over on 45th up in the U. counselors, legal help, free counseling and access to housing and college grants etc etc. long as your under 23-24. they got me off the streets.. then i went back.

00kissmarrykick00

I gotta be STOKED to be FLEXIBLE!
Reaction score
There are a lot of resources for homeless and low income people in Minneapolis and St Paul minnesota, but the population is so high that the resources can easily get more demand than they can fill, and you definitely don't want to get stuck here over winter!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads