Where do you sleep on the road? | Squat the Planet

Where do you sleep on the road?

D

Desert

Say your in a new city and you haven't found any abandoned houses or shit like that and you decide to sleep outside. How do you decide where to crash at?

railroadron

Reaction score
I ll be honest Desert..thats a lame question and how can it really be answered? I prefer to sleep off the beaten path wherever I feel the safest. Usually down near the tracks or yard behind loading docks or wooded lots. Even river banks providing I can be concealed. When you re tired and ready to lay it out wherever you re at wether it be in a city or outskirts..just find a place you feel safe and not seen.

Reactions: Rover and Bl3wbyyou

bryanpaul

Reaction score
just look for the spots with all the beer cans and graffitti that includes lots of "circle n's" and train trax....usually under bridges by a train yard ;)

but nah like he said....anywhere you think you wont be seen.......... gotta be careful about them sprinklers .. like in city parks and around businesses and such.....if the grass looks a bit TOO green?

• Haha
Reactions: Luna and fawn

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
watch out for home bum dookie and the strong over powering smell of urine. lots of sleep spots can also double as bathrooms for the homeless, this is where a tarp or fresh cardboard comes in handy! finding a sleep spot becomes really easy once you get the hang of it.

• Sad
Reactions: Mankini

Alex the Weaver

Reaction score
Website
apoclove.wordpress.com
I ll be honest Desert..thats a lame question and how can it really be answered? I prefer to sleep off the beaten path wherever I feel the safest. Usually down near the tracks or yard behind loading docks or wooded lots. Even river banks providing I can be concealed. When you re tired and ready to lay it out wherever you re at wether it be in a city or outskirts..just find a place you feel safe and not seen.

Don't you think that's a bit harsh? I think you did answer it really well, for someone new to The Road I think you've sumed it up really well.

crow jane

Reaction score
watch out for home bum dookie and the strong over powering smell of urine. lots of sleep spots can also double as bathrooms for the homeless, this is where a tarp or fresh cardboard comes in handy! finding a sleep spot becomes really easy once you get the hang of it.

ah yes, the infamous malt-liquor shit-spray

D

Deleted member 2626

ah yes everytime i see an animal pile of human feces under a bridge the blackness and utter fuckedityness of it speaks bad liquor and poor food choices. Was hitchin north from santa fe and we got dropped at and exit and went under this bridge camp real nice till we got to the top where you'd sleep. them fuckin homebums must just roll over and let go. god damn people shittin inches from where they lay their heads. Blackholes

bryanpaul

Reaction score
for a change of pace from sleepin on the ground...anytime youre around a home depot or lowes be sure to take advantage of theyre luxurious accomodations......

img_04962.jpg

ahhh... home sweet home....... them sheds have saved me in the rain plenty of times..... i love crawlin out of em in the morning too... people be like "a bum livin in a lowes shed.....wtf..."

Psi em

Reaction score
Oh shoot! YMCA! I get it! haha

I go bushwhacking for a place in the woods where nobody has been for years. Have to do a bit of research to figure out which lands are isolated and abandoned. If I see any bit of trash, cigarette butt or beer can on the ground, that means I'm not deep enough into the thick and keep it moving. Keep an eye out for other people's lights in the dark. Dangerous stuff though. Nobody will hear you scream.

keg

Reaction score
alot of people of shit at sleepin places.but sometimes people get sick or dopesick and really have to let it go right away.i have been homeless for 15 plus years and the only time i hate it is when i got the shits and its pouring down rain.so you try to get as fart away as possible.but what about your pack etc,shitting sucks

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
for a change of pace from sleepin on the ground...anytime youre around a home depot or lowes be sure to take advantage of theyre luxurious accomodations......

img_04962.jpg

ahhh... home sweet home....... them sheds have saved me in the rain plenty of times..... i love crawlin out of em in the morning too... people be like "a bum livin in a lowes shed.....wtf..."

And then...came the locks on Lowes/Home Depot sheds....

urchin

Reaction score

img_04962.jpg

I've done that two or three times. It sucks for the cold though I'll tell you that much. NO FUCKING INSULATION AT ALL!

Luna

Reaction score
It all depends on the city yer in too... Like in certain places don't sleep under bridges such as Nola. The cool thing about nola is there are so many cool people you just gotta meet a group of um n crash next to them. Strength in numbers. Also there are homeless shelters in all major cities so that's another option. Woods are a good place too so long as you got some equipment or don't mind eating some bugs in yer sleep :D

urchin

Reaction score
I've found myself sleeping on the back part of a hospice shed once. It was nice in general. Wind didn't get there that often, you can sneak in and out whenever, weren't too far from good dumpsters as well as a Starbucks, and you will hear people long before they have a chance to know you are there. Of anyone ends up in Macon or Warner Robins let me know and I can point you to some places.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads