Where do they come from?

railroadron

Reaction score
As much as I love riding alone and having the sense of self preservation and security..somehow the thought of companionship and conversation to break the monotony of constant squeal and grind of steel against steel is often very inviting if not welcomed. I was excited to see a pack of what i thought might be decent folks catching out..preparing themselves to catch the only decent ride on the a southbound out of Portland ..an open box..quite rare on southbounds. I held out my hand to help them aboard as we were on the fly..1...2...3 they were on. At first everything was ok..say the first 100 miles they were on their P's and Q's minding themselves..rarely venturing to the door to peer out at the scenery. Now there s nothing wrong with watching the scenery but in my opinion..in doing so, you should be a bit reserved and try to look ahead and spot possible trouble such as rail workers who often time report your presense on a train. If I see them..I ll stand back away from the door and roll by hopefully unnoticed and i expect whoever I m with to feel the same way about it..Am I wrong? Not these kids...they sat in the doorway with legs out waving to everyone at crossing like they were on a freaking circus train. If my dumbass didnt sleep through Eugene I would ve gotten as far away as i could from them..Come on Roseville!!!! Oh but it gets worse! North of Marysville we pulled into the hole..I didnt see them gathering rocks and piling them up in the doorway. Actually I was Reading and very into the book..my bad. These freaking idiots were throwing Rocks at people..cars and what not creating a bad situation.. The train stopped in Wheatland and we were thrown off. Luckily I didn t go to jail and that was due to an unpresent ..as least thats what the cop told me..it would ve been up to him if he wanted to press a tresspass charge. These kids were runaways and taken into custody. I had to hitchhike into Roseville..something I hate! Hitchhiking! Now I remember why i prefer to ride alone!

dylann

Reaction score

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Fuck dude shity deal. I recently started riding alone more often, in ways I like it. If only there was a way to deal with little punks like that

BCstranger

Reaction score
my van broke down in roseville last year i didnt know there was a yard there. evert rolled through dunsmere?

train in vain

Reaction score
ive only got on a train with someone i didnt know a few times. first time was pretty much this same kind of shit. one of them had never been on a train and wanted to stand up and look around the whole time (we were on a 48 heading east out of colton) as soon as the train started rolling. i woke up to a cop kicking me off. they went to fly a sign or some bullshit and never came back. i wasnt too sad about that.
rode the rest of the way to san anto with no problems alone

uncivilize

Reaction score
I don't think I would ever allow myself to be outnumbered by total strangers in a big metal box rolling down the rails at 50mph, no matter how cool they seemed. The only time I did that was actually a good time, but their carelessness got us pulled off (I anticipated what was happening and bailed before the cops got to our car, they weren't as quick thinking) Did you try to school them at all? Why didn't you switch rides, or better yet, make them find one? When the waving started, I would've tried to school them a little, if they were obnoxious punks that didn't listen, I'd move rides, or make them. But once the rock throwing started, it would take all the restraint in the world to keep me from giving one of them a boot to the back, no matter how fast we were rolling, then I'd make the rest stand with their noses in the corner for the rest of the trip, if they're lucky. Kids need to learn, and I try to be a nice understanding hippyish type person alot of the time, but damn, sometimes nothing can pierce thick stupidity but strong action.

Jawline

Reaction score
I don't mind riding alone, but what I really hate is waiting alone. It's cool to hang out with a buncha random people and drink or talk, or whatever you think is fun, but once your train comes in you split ways. That's my rule atleast.

Reactions: Chewbacka

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
Throwing stones?! That is just idiotic behavior. Sounds like a bunch of kids with no common sense.
I don't even hop trains and I think that is stupid behavior. I'm actually considering hopping a train for the first time this
Summer to head North. I'm planning to meetup with some friends up in New England come August, I was considering
a train to get up there but I don't know the ins and outs of riding trains, was considering finding someone who knew the
ropes and didn't mind a newbie who's a quick learner and stays low profile, tagging along.
But then I read stuff about fuck heads like these kids and think "I should stick to what I know and am good at... hitching rides."

daveycrockett

Reaction score
i choose to be alone, for the most part being out and about is difficult with other people unless you really know them and even then its just a pain in the ass most of the time. ive travelled alot by myself but the times i have gone with someone else it just seems they drag me down and make stupid decisions, not to say they arent cool people just wouldnt want to travel with them thats my own deal.

K

Kim Chee

If it were to happen to me and they didn't take a hint, I'd be inclined to step away and get on a later train...alone.

If I stayed on the train and they continued to cause trouble, I'd begin to entertain thoughts of having a wall-to-wall conversation with them and I'd rather not feel that way. At least you didn't get hauled off.

We are all born oogles: pooping, peeing, dangling feet out of the boxcar and causing trouble everywhere.
Eventually, when the right conditions are present, we slowly shed our oogley habits and become responsible adults.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads