Where Da Work At?

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Current Location
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
Reactions
95% 1% 4%
Hey folk, currently in rugby England but will be back soon. Trynna line up where to land, thinking the best (west) coast but I’m willing to go anywhere if you have some work or worktrade available . I’m thinking of being a fire fighter in OR but if anyone has any ideas or knows of seasonal work let me know!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
ha - facilities department at a community college - focal point person - have my own walkie talkie - got a spill in aisle 5? gimme a call :D

SlankyLanky

Global Moderator
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
Reactions
96% 1% 4%
being a fire fighter is crazy physically demanding, i had a buddy who was about 220 over 6 feet fit as a horse and he ended up not being able to cut it. they really make you earn that shit but i bet its a hell of a rewarding job. but right on man good on you wanting to make positive changes thats whats up.

Current Location
new Orleans
Reactions
95% 2% 2%
Construction . Carney work .whatever. I enjoy making money .like to save so i half enough to take winter off do some. Volunteer work bicycle tour and wild camp plus have money for hotels if i want rest up.

Current Location
Lake Mack, Florida
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Dairy farm milker. California or Wisconsin. $10-20 an hour. Sometimes includes housing. Variable hours- pretty easy to find overtime hours where you can make money fast and leave quicker by working 12 hr shifts. Check Craigslist for ads. The big farms often got more benefits like healthcare and bonuses. Or if your more ethical go for small family farms where animals are more humanely treated. Some farms hire illegal immigrants if your looking for an under the table job. Best benefit is no yuppies. Or try stone picking jobs on farms in spring. Try conservation corps if you want wilderness environmental job- con is bad pay.

Current Location
Baltimore, MD
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I have also been looking into seasonal firefighting in Oregon. Emailed this dude, apparently, all that's required is doing 2 specific (free) online FEMA courses and passing a 'pack test'. For that you need to complete a 3 mile walk with 45lb pack in under 45minutes which shouldn't be a problem for anyone who is used to being on the road. They provide all of the other training and protective gear and stuff. Obviously you would want to be in much better shape than the bare minimum but it's my understanding that they tend to put people in less demanding roles if it's their first season.