What's your opinion on "street retreats"? | Squat the Planet

What's your opinion on "street retreats"?

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Alright, fellow nomads, I'd like to know what people think about this.

A friend of mine recently participated in an event through her church called a "Street Retreat". The basic gist of it was a handful of people volunteering to live on the street for 72 hours, and to get by in the same manner that comes so naturally to most of us that we don't give it a second thought.

They were allowed a pack with whatever gear they wanted, minus cash, credit cards, cell phones, and food.

I'm still unsure what they were supposed to get out of it, although I know that my friend runs a program in her home city that makes a significant, positive difference for the homeless.

Here's the info website; please discuss.

http://mlf.org/street-retreats/

(For the Mods: I figured this should go into "general banter", cuz I wasn't sure if it should go into the "people & cultures" section. If you feel it should be moved, cool. If not, cool.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Multifaceted

Reaction score
The people doing it just want a taste of what homelessness is like so that they can be more understanding. 72 hours of homelessness will get to a person if they've lived a sheltered church life.. Imagine a 20 year old girl who's never gone without doing this.. Her self esteem would drop immensely when panhandling, crack-spanging, etc.
I think it's a good idea. 72 hours is just enough to shake a businessman I'm sure..

And who are we to judge these people that are trying to understand. Their intentions are good, and they are causing no harm.

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
The thing is though anyone can easily make it 72 hours without ever having to spange, truly sleep in a sketchy ass place, have police harass you every night for days if not weeks or even months or years for humbums. To know if you lose that pack on your back thats everything you own, gone. Square 1, rock bottom. Theres no comfy box to go back to when the clock hits 12AM on day 3. It seems more of a novelty experience to me.

Dont get me wrong, i dont disagree their intentions are good and i applaud people who do participate because I believe it will open there eyes if in no other way than the interaction they will have with houseless and homeless folk on the streets. At least these people care enough to participate in something like this, but thats just it. People participating in this program more than likely already have empathy for the poor. Instead of allocating money and resources to some sort of "homeless weekend camp" start donating their time and resources to provide shelter, fight for pro-homeless legislation and squatters rights, reclaim and distribute food ect ect.
Just seems a bit ineffective to me

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
I met a lady in Eugene, OR that was really cool and understanding and did something similar to this.

However, she did it for 30 days, left her cell phone. Brought only BASE needs and no money. I think she really was dedicated to understanding the life. She even ran into some dirty kids and spent a week or so with them so she had a varied outlook on homelessness too.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Sirius , regarding the lady you spoke to in Eugene, was she just doing it completely on her own, or was it through a program similar to the one I mentioned?

I'm curious, because the way I see it, if someone is trying to gain understanding through experiencing the lifestyle, that individual would have to do it for at *least* a month, minimum; like she was.

Carlvanguyrios

Reaction score
I think a lot of those people, with the cushy houses, might find themselves jealous of the people they encounter during one of these experiences. I guess that's what happened to me. I used to be an Audi driving business dick. After a while, I would notice people who were clearly poor but also clearly much happier than me. I found myself literally feeling jealous of their drive and sense of care-free gentle purpose.

Money doesn't buy happiness, dudes. And no one's lifestyle is "better" than anyone else's. We are all just human. I encourage others to do anything that will enhance their perspective and life experience. Through these things, we find ourselves.

I used to have a condo full of shit, tons of money in the bank, fancy cars, lots of women around. etc..

I wouldn't trade this life for it, though. Not in a million years. Money did not make me happy. Freedom is one sexy bitch that makes me very fuckin happy. In my case, happiness is sleeping where I end up in my 99 Chevy van, and just going in the morning, to the next experience that I feel will benefit my life in the here and now, not worried about shit. I do some martial arts in the morning and wait tables at night. Finally I am free :)

One of these church events could be someone's life changing moment that helps them find what is important and who they truly are and that is awesome to me.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads