Completed / Resolved What's your opinion of the articles section?

What do you think of the articles section?

• I like it, I check it out all the time.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I like the best of StP section better.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I never look at the articles section.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I have no idea what you're talking about.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Hey folks, just wanted to see what you all thought about the articles section of StP. My main concern is that it's very similar to the 'best of stp' (aka featured threads) section (under forums > best of stp in main navigation) and some of the content is posted in both areas. I like the way content is highlighted in the articles area, but i also like the simplicity of the featured threads/best of stp section.

so anyways, do folks even read either section? let me know!

roughdraft

Vagabond
Lifetime Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Threads
Current Location
Cuzco, Peru
Reactions
97% 1% 2%
it's a cornerstone of the site to me

my only critique - i do not understand the purpose of putting the same content in Articles and Best of STP - however it's important to note that i never noticed this, only referring to your post here

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
If it's no trouble to keep both sections then keep both. If I had to choose I would say keep "best of"...

Though it might be better to "more define" lol (i talk good)... each section. that is is? "Articles" more "academic/educational"? and "best of" just more epic type content.

I dunno I been in both sections just rarely... truly..but maybe that is a diff way to look at the sections.

Threads
Current Location
Slabs
Website
jerrellofearth.wordpress.com
Reactions
97% 1% 2%
I think they can coexist. If someone writes a decent article, but it's not necessarily the "best" of StP, then you don't want to handicap yourself into putting it there. The Best of StP section can include how-to and epic threads, but not the Articles section.
I mean, if you're bored then do what you think needs to be done, but I don't see why both can't exist.

Threads
Current Location
Minneapolis, MN, United States
Website
youjostravels.weebly.com
Reactions
91% 3% 6%
I look at it, but that doesn't mean I like it. The featured stuff needs to be rotated, because most of the stuff on display is as old as 2015. Surely, there are deserving articles that are more recent.

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
thank you all for your input! what i decided to do after thinking about it for a while is to remove the articles section and just concentrate on the featured threads. there's too much content that didn't fit in one or the other, and it was kind of a pain to maintain, so i went with the featured threads since it's easier to administrate.

that said, i re-designed the featured threads page so it looks almost the same as the old articles section, combined all the content, and added a new tab in the navigation. there's still a little bit of straightening up to do, but overall i think this will achieve the same thing (highlighting the best content) while being less stress on myself.

over the next few weeks i will be adding other features like a 'most recent featured threads' block in the sidebar that shows a list of the most recent threads specific to the forum you're currently reading. so the main index will show the 5 most recent featured threads (from all forum areas) and (for example) the train hopping section will replace that block with 10 most recent featured threads from that forum area. This is all part of an effort to bring more relevant information to StP members specific to the subject they are currently browsing, so you'll likely see other blocks of information such as files from our library that are specific to that subject, maybe an rss feed of new articles specific to that subject, etc.

roughdraft

Vagabond
Lifetime Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Threads
Current Location
Cuzco, Peru
Reactions
97% 1% 2%
hell yeah man i think you got it right