What kind of things should I put in my Houseless care packages? | Squat the Planet

What kind of things should I put in my Houseless care packages?

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
Hello again,

Many of you know that I give out socks and things to the houseless travelers I encounter and interview for my project. So besides socks and local bus passes (and tampons, etc. for women) what other kinds of things do folks need that are hard to get on the road (and please don't say money or drugs)?

Yes, I have been on the road and should know this, but it has been 12 years since my boots have hit the dirt.

That is why I want to make sure that I am giving people things they really need, have a hard time getting and that aren't given out anywhere else.

Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Gudj

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Very much like the socks and personal products. Don't know if the little travel items like toothbrush and stuff would be interesting. How about the small travel versions of kleenex (aka TP)? I generally have people asking me for cigs and/or a light - of which I have neither one.

Reactions: Thorne
K

Kim Chee

That is why I want to make sure that I am giving people things they really need, have a hard time getting and that aren't given out anywhere else.

Maybe start with a list of freebies available elsewhere and go from there?
Why must the items you give out not be given out elsewhere? Seems kind of restrictive to me. Would you remove an item from your offering if you discovered it was being offered elsewhere?

I'm guessing you want cheeeeeeeep items, right? A list of local services offered and work contacts would be cheap and even useful. Maybe a trip to the dollah store will give you some ideas in the dollar range.

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Tude,
maybe some matches then? Those could be useful for all folks regardless if they smoke or not. And bulk matches are cheap.

Toothbrushes and that are iffy. I'd say maybe 45-65% (not a statistic I've looked at) actually give a fuck about their teeth. That doesn't mean that I shouldn't have some on hand though because someone will need them, just maybe not as a regular "stocked" item.

Tissues are also a good idea (or would folks prefer like the 20packs of baby wipes instead?

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Michael, what I meant by not anywhere else is things that are hard to get, but no one ever offers. some things that are really important that others already give out is okay too. Sorry I did not make it clear enough

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
medical shit band aids antibiotic ointment if u can get it in smalll packages hand sanitizer. emergency space blankets ponchos hand lotion

Some of that I think is doable. What about OTC medications like Benadryl, Tylenol, etc.? How hard is that stuff to get?

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
I've gotten one time use antibiotic ointment packages sterile alcohol pads and single packaged tylenol and stuff tho I'm not sure where exactly you can get it. Even those moisture napkin things you get after eating ribs are good.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Dunno about OTC stuff. Will ask some of my human service professors on some of the shelters we are associated with about what they do.

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Oh yeah, I should probably also mention that snacks and food items are also okay to an extent. For instance I have tubes of peanut butter and small, half-size cans of tuna w/ the easy open tops that I put in most of the packages already (when I have them available). Tuna and peanut butter are high protein foods that are easy to carry and use.

So suggestions for snack/food items like this is also greatly appreciated.

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
That would be great Tude. When the semester is over I will be able to spend more time going around Tucson and gathering resources. There are already two places that said they would be more than happy to talk with me when I came in. The girl at one of the agencies even told me that girl scouts are good for gathering materials and stuffing the bags so I definitely wanted to go talk to her some more about how to get connected to a troop willing to do that.

In regards to OTC meds I don't know if it is legal to just put a few in pre-marked and sealed package before hand, and just buy bottles in bulk. There is one place here that hands stuff out like that here in Tucson, but they are part of a HUGE conglomerate of mental health, substance abuse and other such services, so they may have a special license to do that.

If it was legal to do it that way, I could easily work that kind of thing into the budget.

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
You can buy individual Tylenol packages. They usually come in medical kits, but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere. Basically 1 dose in a wet wipe type paper packet.

100 packets for $15 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008XPOV/

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than handing out entire bottles, and preferable tbh, I'd rather have a couple of these than an entire bottle that will take 2 years to get through

Edit: bulk sunscreen, travel size

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00467BPC0/

And bulk lotion, travel size. $66 for 120 1oz bottles:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076AERR4/

Also, work gloves. Jesus Christmas, work gloves, or some kind of gloves. My hands are very cut up from all the firewood gathering I've done without gloves. I imagine the situation is similar for others

Last edited:

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
condoms and lube? batteries? those little emercen-C packets? dental floss and needle? tiny little rolls of ducktape? maybe print out some of those "know your rights" with the police pamplets i've seen floating around before?

Reactions: Thorne

DuHastMich

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
How I wish someone like Thorne was passing shit out when I was in the middle of fucking Northern Montana in '93...

Anyway, if you're thinking about the short term houseless needs:
  • women's necessities
  • small rain poncho
  • granola bars
  • socks (sounds like you got that covered)
  • sewing kit
  • matchbooks
  • hygiene kit

Reactions: Tude and Thorne
K

Kim Chee

Michael, what I meant by not anywhere else is things that are hard to get, but no one ever offers.
I can be so literal at times.

Fawn and I got kicked down two care packages from a lady in Roseville. Many of the things within the packages are things others have mentioned here. Damn did the baby wipes and socks go far in the comfort department. I think she even had packages of peanuts and granola included. The kindness offered by that lady is something I remember clearly a couple years later.

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the links zim.

And everyone else. thanks for the awesome suggestions. Thank you and keep them coming.

Before I go shopping I will post the list. I have a budget and rely on donations, so I might not be able to include everything, but I will try to at least get the most important things.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads