Completed What if we started banning people from specific threads? (1 Viewer)

Should the moderators remove the ability for problematic users to reply to specific threads?

• Yes

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
Specifically @EphemeralStick and myself have been tossing around the idea of thread specific banning in certain situations in order to keep more 'volatile' discussions on track. This has mostly been a result of the thread on pronouns in addition to a few others.

What generally happens in these more heated debate threads is the original discussion gets lost to a lot of infighting between individuals that just aren't going to change their minds and things end up in a flame war to the point where the thread needs to be closed.

It's possible with our current forum software to ban certain user's ability to reply to threads if we so chose. So, in situations where a particular user has already made their point but is continuing the argument in off topic directions (but not specifically breaking forum rules) a moderator could remove their ability to reply to that thread, allowing the discussion to continue in a productive manner.

There's obviously some moral pros and cons to this scenario, which is why I'm opening this up to discussion for the community. Also, vote in the poll!

What are your thoughts? Could this be a good thing or a bad thing? How would we determine when to use such an ability? I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Jerrell

Rambler
Current Location
Slabs
Maybe a temp ban, as well as, perm ban. Was just thinking how someone might be schwilly or something and need to get a time out until they're thinking more clearly.

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV
My personal opinion is no one should be banned unless its spam/fake/robot related. But then again, if it was my forum I'd probably be banning left and right!!!!

Maxnomad

I've been muted for 30 days.
muted
Current Location
San Luis Obispo
I think this makes sense. It seems like it would put a fair amount of responsibility on y'all, on the one hand, but on the other, thats what mods are

Wavvy

Lurker
Current Location
North Dakota
I don't really see an issue with that.

How many threads do they have to get banned from for being problematic before they get banned all together?

Engineer J Lupo

Increasingly aggressive bro
Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
I think it's always better to leave yourself with more options than fewer options, right? Sometimes people have a bad day and misdirect their anger in the wrong place, sometimes they're just too drunk right. It would be nice to have the option to set someone on a time out from a heated thread if they're the one gassing it up. It's basically forcing someone to calm down rather than continually having to ask them to while they completely ignore the request. Right now we don't have that option and we sort of have our backs against the wall when that happens, the only option then is to start them on the downward spiral of the warning system which usually leads to a complete ban. I think this will actually lead to less bans overall, that's a good thing.

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV
I think it's always better to leave yourself with more options than fewer options, right? Sometimes people have a bad day and misdirect their anger in the wrong place, sometimes they're just too drunk right. It would be nice to have the option to set someone on a time out from a heated thread if they're the one gassing it up. It's basically forcing someone to calm down rather than continually having to ask them to while they completely ignore the request. Right now we don't have that option and we sort of have our backs against the wall when that happens, the only option then is to start them on the downward spiral of the warning system which usually leads to a complete ban. I think this will actually lead to less bans overall, that's a good thing.
"CALM DOWN" emoji!!!???!!

quad8

Nowhere bound...
Current Location
Brunswick, Georgia
Some people can use a timeout here and there. As long as you fully understand PHP coding and how databases behind these forums work, it will take time to have this idea become a reality.

cozmic

Lurker
Current Location
Oregon
I'm agreeing with this motion. There might be some situations when a user is not an overall problem per se, but it might be best to maybe temp ban (such as what Jerrell mentioned) them from a specific conversation so it doesn't get derailed and off-topic. I hate seeing useful discussions that veer off-course and eventually die due to the infighting. I know I don't talk much, but I have been lurking here for many years and enjoy the discussions. It's a peeve of mine when this happens.

Is there the discussion of whether or not to make a forum similar to Den of the Banned for these scenarios? Or do we just leave it for the permanent bans? Or just have a moderator edit the original post to let everyone know they have been temp banned?

Engineer J Lupo

Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
Is there the discussion of whether or not to make a forum similar to Den of the Banned for these scenarios? Or do we just leave it for the permanent bans? Or just have a moderator edit the original post to let everyone know they have been temp banned?
I feel like there's no real need for this to have it's own forum as long as there's some sort of indication that it's happened within the thread itself. Like maybe a notation on the particular users name in the discussion that indicates they're wearing a dunce cap so to speak. Something that can be visible there but not elsewhere. If we don't have that complex of coding perhaps something that can be stickied to the beginning of the thread with the name(s) of those banned from said thread listed at the top.

As a side note, I think this is a really good practice.. to open up voting polls for all members to have a say in changes made around here. In addition to this, I also really like the idea of members being able to overturn bans with their votes. Not only these thread specific bans but anyone who's ever been banned. Think of Creature for example, there's some members who still sling shit at staff over that. Couldn't we just put this all in the hands of the masses?

If staff feel we need to ban someone we still proceed as usual, but then once the person is sent to the den of the banned the thread created also features a poll where everyone can vote whether to overturn said ban or not. This way those members who continue to have a problem with someone being banned will no longer be able to point the finger at staff but rather accept that as a community we have ALL decided it's what's best.

It would have to be set on some kind of timer like perhaps 10 days or so, that way everyone gets a chance to see it and cast their votes. I'm just spitballing ideas here. I'd rather everyone in this community have some sort of power than just a handful of us with all the power.

Current Location
Maryland
Website
www.youtube.com
How about we have a vote when the situation arises??? If mod feels it’s time for a TIME OUT it’s discussed by a few mods and a few common folks... I wanna say give the person a chance to explain but I kinda don’t bcuz we all have an asshole moment in the eyes of another... I know for sure I do get off track not on purpose its always me trying to give examples that may or may not work... But i have also seen where the topic was bread and some screams out cereal(yes they are both grains but cmon) just for shits and ppl engage in order to stop the troll but it’s a troll and now it’s down the hole... Sooo I’m scared bcuz I got an off track sticker on a post even after I acknowledged and apologized for being off track but I’m totally for the bans bcuz ppl do intentionally troll...

Engineer J Lupo

Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
How about we have a vote when the situation arises??? If mod feels it’s time for a TIME OUT it’s discussed by a few mods and a few common folks... I wanna say give the person a chance to explain but I kinda don’t bcuz we all have an asshole moment in the eyes of another... I know for sure I do get off track not on purpose its always me trying to give examples that may or may not work... But i have also seen where the topic was bread and some screams out cereal(yes they are both grains but cmon) just for shits and ppl engage in order to stop the troll but it’s a troll and now it’s down the hole... Sooo I’m scared bcuz I got an off track sticker on a post even after I acknowledged and apologized for being off track but I’m totally for the bans bcuz ppl do intentionally troll...
Totally understand your concerns and what you're saying. As far as voting on whether or not to ban someone, I don't think we have the luxury to sit and wait for a legit vote to be conducted. Keep in mind sometimes there's only a few people online. We need a lot of votes for it to be an effective poll. In the time we're waiting for all those votes to come in, that person who's going off on a homophobic/racist/sexist etc tirade just gets free range to attack people. We can't allow that. If staff need to shut someone down, we need to be able to shut them down. We can't wait for everyone to vote on it. But see my previous post on being able to overturn bans with votes.

As far as your concerns about getting off track and being banned, I don't really think it's going to be as sensitive as you're thinking it's going to be. I personally wouldn't ban someone from a thread for going off topic a few times. It just happens, I do it a lot myself. I think banning someone from a specific thread should be limited to the more severe cases where someone is being very hurtful to others while still not entirely breaking rules because they're careful with their wording strategically to avoid just that.

Current Location
Tucson
I do like the idea of "shh grown folks are talking, go talk somewhere else" like extra trys to get it calm and together and to not fall for troll bait , or to do some research to prove your not talking out your ass that's great.. the idea of over turning a ban with an Internet vote... big loop hole... that's a shit show for mods and website admins... don't do that... maybe a way for members to vouche for a banned person to get a hearing from the mods and admin on w/e would or could happen to return to the site that's not so bad.. I too miss creatures writings .

Current Location
Maryland
Website
www.youtube.com
@Engineer J Lupo
Your vote idea is much better and I agree about the power situation... Maybe have like elders, shamans😉, and so on...

I just realized the more features we add the more crap we put on U MODz and I dnt want this to end up a job and not fun for U guys... I dnt want U dreading what potential pile of shit awaits my cleaning when I log on 2day...

Engineer J Lupo

Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
It depends on the features added. Usually it's putting a heap of shit on Matt's back, he does the hard work and gets it working and then the rest of the mods have a new tool that more often than not makes our lives a little easier.

Stiv Rhodes

Pilgrim
Current Location
Seattle, WA
I think it would be a good thing. It would create the ability to keep posts on topic. Banning someone from the site as a whole is usually reserved for more serious offenses. When someone's posts on a thread are just cross talk or goofing off, I wouldn't want them to get kicked off STP just for that, but people sometimes want to have a serious discussion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$7.77
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $7.77 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $7.77 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $7.77 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $7.77 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Should I trash pick some more chick fil A codes for free sandwiches?! I already trash picked 1 so far...
interesting. the first place itself seems worth a trip. lol i don't think they get much traveling folk... and #5 silent hill anybody know where that is? the video discreetly avoids saying the location and i want to know. i watched the rest of the video and nothing else looks of interest to me
i need some good you tuber train riders to watch... i have a few like ranoutonarail a few others... who else is good?
I'm still looking at Omaha, but if things don't work out, I hope over to Iowa.
Lost and done with cincyshit is worthless
how does one get his hands on a time table? rail fans seem to have them, so i should be able to get one... i want one...
gotta go watch this dailey... back in a while...
Reminder: Friday night on Coast to Coast am radio show: Haunted Trains!
Friday - Haunted Trains / Open Lines
Matthew Swayne
There's a meme called SPEED KIRB. You're welcome.

Members online