What gear should I bring for winter? | Squat the Planet

What gear should I bring for winter?

D

Deleted member 9714

I'm somewhat new so I've never gone out in the winter. I usually have a medium rucksack on my back but I'm gonna get a large alice pack so I can fit a bigger sleeping bag and whatever else to make me more comfortable this winter.
I'm not sure what I could bring to make me warmer though. I have clothes, but what are good sleeping bags? One of those below zero bags would be cool because I'm a fuckin pussy when it comes to the cold, but most are expensive. And I was thinking I could just get a bivy sack unless a tent would be better? I dunno, gimmie gimmie gimmie your input

Strider

Reaction score
It's not really about the size of the sleeping bag, in fact, compressible ones are best. Marmot makes excellent sleeping bags. REI has sales all the time and you can get good sleeping bags for a reasonable price at one. If you're traveling in winter, I would suggest keeping south anyway, unless you're dead set on seeing the snow or something like that. As for bivvies v tents, it all depends on your preference. I have a tent because I don't like my guitar rained on, and it makes it harder for people to jack your pack as you sleep... what kind of clothes do plan on packing? That's the main thing.

D

Deleted member 9714

Alright thanks, I'll check into that. I don't have a guitar or nothing so I don't really need to worry about that, and try to sleep somewhere reallyyyy secluded unless I'm FEelin lazy and stupid and just sleep in a parking garage haha. I dunno I'll see about a tent tho. What tent do you have?
Right now I've got long johns, crusty patch pants which are pretty fuckin thick, lotsa wool socks, a sweater and hoodie, denim jacket and this wool military coat. I still gotta get gloves n shit like that but I think I'm pretty much set with clothes otherwise.

Strider

Reaction score
Damn man, that's a LOT of jackets. Layers are better. Unless you plan on going to the freezing north or something. Invest in like 2 thermals and a waterproof windbreaker get rid of the denim, and possibly the military coat. those are pretty heavy. Especially ditch the denim. Cotton is no bueno if it gets wet and cold. where do you plan on going?

Reactions: Anagor

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I'm somewhat new so I've never gone out in the winter. I usually have a medium rucksack on my back but I'm gonna get a large alice pack so I can fit a bigger sleeping bag and whatever else to make me more comfortable this winter.
I'm not sure what I could bring to make me warmer though. I have clothes, but what are good sleeping bags? One of those below zero bags would be cool because I'm a fuckin pussy when it comes to the cold, but most are expensive. And I was thinking I could just get a bivy sack unless a tent would be better? I dunno, gimmie gimmie gimmie your input
I think you should give a bit more information. Winter where? When I consider last winter here in Germany, hoodie, t-shirt, jeans and canvas shoes or even flip flops would be okay. ;) Other than that, what do you plan to do? Hitchhiking (traveling in well-temperatured cars and with access to shelters like gas stations or stores most of the time I guess) or hopping trains (with no access to shelters for perhaps a few days)?
I'd second the idea not to get too thick/heavy stuff but to layer. And don't wear pants too tight. The air inside your pants is also insulating and you can wear something warm underneath if necessary. Just my two cents.

Art101

Reaction score
I have traveled in the northern US and also worked outside at ski areas. Layers are the way to go. I like a thin moisture wicking base, Underarmor winter gear is good look at thrift stores usually not to spendy.Find a polyprop sleep shirt they are awesome as an additional layer over the base and a long sleeve t-shirt. I have a mil-spec gortex for the final layer I love. Its loose and allows me to move comfortably in it. That prob sounds like a lot of layers up top use the same theory for the bottoms. I have actually worn a pair of pantyhose under fleece bottoms and a loose pair of shell pants and been warm at 0 degrees F.,but then again I was also working out in the weather. Hope that helps a little.

a197120

Reaction score
I've got thermals, a pair of jeans, a pair of insulated jeans, and a pair of insulated overalls. For top I have thermals again a few thin flannel shirts, a hoodie and then a carhart jacket. Smart wool socks, and a pair of boots a size too big to let me have layers of socks. Gloves scarf and beanie. I use a military modual 3 piece sleeping bag. So, the green ranger, the black winter bag and the bivvy sack, all three can zip up into each other. A sleeping pad helps, but cardboard can help in a pinch. Its not the most highttech set up, but it kept me from freezing last winter in chicago. Also riding trains around nortthern arizona and new mexico last year too. (Flagstaff gets colder than shit at night!). This is just what I ended up with from kickdowns. If you have the cash, go more hightech! The lighter the better. I had a problem with getting to warm and starting to sweat which is a real danger in subfreezing temperatures. If you start sweating always remove layers or take a break. The last thing you want is to be freezing and wet!

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
I prefer having a light sleeping bag with blankets. Because you can always lighten up and get rid of the blankets. Wool is really good to keep warm as well if the jacket is light. But like strider said having a water proof jacket is best it won't absorb moisture and keeps things dry. Oh yea good shoes..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads