What do you think the percent that we make up? | Squat the Planet

What do you think the percent that we make up?

hobopoe

Reaction score
Website
punkypoe.tumblr.com
So, I am curious. What percent of the population do you think people like us make up? People who willingly live like we do, or hop freight? Just curious. I am curious about what percentage in the U.S. and then the percentage in the world.

Ristoncor

Reaction score
I can't really estimate, but the traveling/squatting "culture" or whatever you call it is much more prevalent, at least in some places. In America, there's probably a larger train-hopping scene, just because I don't think there are as many train yards etc. In smaller countries. Just my thoughts.

342ish million ish ppl in america. And there's no way to gauge the traveling culture, I don't think. Prolly few thousands, maybe tens of thousands between ALL the different groups. So maybe a fraction of 1 percent in america? Elsewhere, no idea.

Last edited:

Ristoncor

Reaction score
In America? Yeah, that sounds pretty accurate. I know 10% of America is atheist/non religious and that's 31 million people, roughly. So I would say about 2-5%. Maybe even lower.

Reactions: West
D

Deleted member 20

We dont even compare to places like central america & asia where train surfing is the norm. Those people ride openly on the front of units, stradling knuckles & other insane shit, with nothing but maybe a plastic bag; all the while fighting for their stuff & spot on their train.

We have embraced the culture but will never experience true poverty & desperation here in the US/CA. We have chosen living this anti civ lifestyle so please dont forget this. Even our poorest, unpriveledged people had oppertunities of an education, shitty jobs, clean water & lots of gov sponsored programs from ebt, to ssi/ssdi, tafdc, student loans, housing & the list goes on. We have everything where as these poor people would sell their soul to come live off the scraps of the American dream.
Keep it in perspective kids. We can ride often with a whole train to ourselves because of the insane consumer appetite of the majority. I feel privledged because i am. I have made all my own bad choices, but that down mean i cant turn it all around.
This may be veering into off topic but think we need to remind ourselves sometimes.
We ride with dogs, others elsewhere would have eaten those dogs.

Last edited:

hobopoe

Reaction score
Website
punkypoe.tumblr.com
That being said (and i wholly agree with you) highwayman, do you think we will experience another great depression? A lot of people in wisconsin are talking about that might be a possibility.

D

Deleted member 20

No one with a clear head stays in a place that isnt working out for them. Dont wait for things to get worse, go somewhere & improve your lot.

Just kidding of course...but who conciously lives in wisconsin? Lol things can & are bad everywhere. They may get worse but can improve too.

If there is another greater depresion us here with experience should for the first time actually have an advantage.

I am out of work, no food, no cash, 2 months behind on rent bills but i have been here before & chances are tough times will always come again.
Lots of regular people have lost property, jobs & their sense of security. My family (mom, sisters, nieces,nephews) lost their house but got an apt now & doin fine.

I dont know if my own eviction is immenent, just trying to get healthy & back to work. I can ride trains for work/fun if the time is right. Now, Im just hunkering down for the last month of winter, fingers crossed.

janktoaster

Reaction score
Eh I dunno, it's ever changing.. and some people are constantly on the road, others are for certain parts of the year. I'd say maybe between 5,000 and 10,000 but that includes hopping, hitching, rubber tramping, etc.. but honestly who the fuck really knows haha

Reactions: Bl3wbyyou
D

Deleted member 20

If you listen to any folk, bluegrass, country you will here & see how the rails & the road never leave your soul even long after youve hung up your traveling boots. Hank1,2 3, Willie, Johnny Cash, Leon Russel, Darius Rucker. There is that essence of the rails/road in many of their songs.

We didnt invent this culture, we are just carrying the torch. It is also the most free i have ever been, & lov the knowledge that i can be free anytime i want. Just throw on my pack & go.

If you listen to any folk, bluegrass, country you will here & see how the rails & the road never leave your soul even long after youve hung up your traveling boots. Hank1,2 3, Willie, Johnny Cash, Leon Russel, Darius Rucker. There is that essence of the rails/road in many of their songs.

We didnt invent this culture, we are just carrying the torch. It is also the most free i have ever been, & lov the knowledge that i can be free anytime i want. Just throw on my pack & go.

I don't think its ever been explained better than this. I wish more saw it as such!

janktoaster

Reaction score
if i remember correctly, the guy in american nomads said there were about 20,000 train hoppers in the us.

For some reason I feel like that number is a bit steep.. but then I think about how massive America is, and it might not be all that steep..

D

Deleted member 2626

well put highwayman i can relate there not even music just feelings from the road but as you said the soul. but Darius Rucker? mwhaha was in a cooler unpopular band then sold out for modern country

D

Deleted member 20

well put highwayman i can relate there not even music just feelings from the road but as you said the soul. but Darius Rucker? mwhaha was in a cooler unpopular band then sold out for modern country
I knew id get flack for throwin Hootie in there. Wagon wheel is a such a catchy song & to me hes a rebel for gettin into the country scene. Most of Nashville is filled with similar cookie cutter, snow white types. They are the real fakes with their holier than tho, Glod bless you attitudes. They are all so proper, perfect & attractive hypocritical christians. Who knows if he wrote that song or ever stepped foot on rr tracks other then to just shoot an album cover or video. I just like how hes a dose of pigment in an otherwise boring & pale ass industry.

D

Deleted member 2626

Yeah old crow but it is catchy and true on him being black but he isn't the first black country singer all their songs either include- redneck, beers, big trucks, country, or.mud yet none of them even live a remotely country lifestyle or practice kindness I'm every day life in the "Christian" spirit

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads