What Do You Sleep in?

Threads
Current Location
York, PA
Reactions
95% 0% 5%
So, I'm planning on Freight Hopping sooner or later, but I'm still planning shit, getting shit, making sure I'm ready to go...

I got a quick question, if you don't mind me asking, for anyone who feels like answering, specifically for "dedicated train hoppers"...

What do you sleep in on the rails? Off the rails? What do you think is the best for sleeping on and off the rails?

Thanks in advance!

Threads
Current Location
St-Hugues Quebec.
Reactions
95% 0% 5%
Hi,

Personnally for each hitchiking and train hopping trip I have made it with a -3 sleeping bag and an hammock with a tarp. In the train, hopping grainers is a great way to keep you dry and warm.

Safe travel !

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Im mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Get a US military goretex bivy sack; craigslist is a good source. Expect to pay $25-$50 & then add a quality sleeping bag or combination of sleeping bags depending on how cold it is. There is a whole section on sleep systems on this site so spend some time reading the hundres of threads on this topic.Remember that trains travel at like 60-70mph & can be cold, wet & miserable even if it is not winter. The bivy is great because it is wind resistant as well as waterproof. I wear Carhart insulated coveralls with thermals & hoodies etc which adds to my thermal mass when sleeping with my system.

Tarps are best for homebums & or used in semi permanent shelters/camps.

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Im mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
if you don't mind me asking
Some may mind. We are a mostly DIY culture here who have shared much content on all questions you may have. Try reading the sections dedicated to those topics or using the search function; there is also a book "The Anarchists Guide to Travel" available that may help you answer the myriad of questions you may have.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I carry a fucking couch everywhere I go...

Ahhhhh shit yea... looks comfy.
couch-on-street-400x250-png.39699_What Do You Sleep in?_Sleeping Bags & Bed Rolls_Squat the Planet_9:56 PM

Really though I also recommend the Bivy/Gortex shell... a couple layers of cardboard and your good... sleep like that under the park bench in the grass just fine.

Threads
Current Location
Cleveland, OH
Reactions
98% 3% 0%
I have a sleeping bag I think it goes down to somewhere between 20 and 0 degrees (I got it from goodwill and could never figure out the temp rating so I just kept sleeping outside with it on really cold nights, hasn' failed me yet). I have a hammock and an 8x10 tarp

Threads
Current Location
Bethlehem PA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I also use a hammock. My hammock has mosquito netting which I recommend highly (ebay $20). I have a $12 dollar sleeping bag from walmart. I use a full size sleeping bag because you can always add layers to the inside where a coffin bag seems to get cramped when you add a blanket. I have two of the $2.50 throw blankets (also walmart) I use for extra layers and/or pillows. I also scavenged the foam from the inside of an exercise mat I use to layer the bottom of my hammock (1/4"). It really helps to cut down on heat loss from air circulation and makes my bed really comfortable. Of course I have a tarp. I use a 9' by 12' because I can pull it to the ground and button up the ends on cold and windy days. Also a tarp keeps you dry, and there is nothing worse then cold and wet when you live outside.

Hobo Mud

Settling down a while.
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Columbia, Tennessee
Reactions
99% 1% 1%
Since it is winter and I am currently hopping, I will tell you what I sleep in and what I use to keep me warm on and off the train.

While riding while sleeping I dress in multiple layers. I wear multiple hoodies and long johns both tops and bottoms. I stay tucked away in my sleeping bag with a tarp covered around me to reduce the wind chill.

I always carry around zip ties to secure my items to my bag and to zip tie the openings of my tarp together to place around my sleeping bag. Kinda like a make shift bivi sack.

On very cold cold nights or rides, I will also bust out my mylar emergency blanket, I have the heavy duty kind, not the cheap thin one. I offten build fires in my homemade hobo stove coffee can to stay warm when I am not riding.

I also wear wool socks when the tempture gets to the point to where its unbearable. I normally carry around a sleeping mat however my last one tore to shreds and I have another ordered that is waiting for me at a friends house.

In the process of hopping out there to retrieve it. Sleeping mats can make the world of difference. Dressing in layers is key to staying warm. There are all sorts of methods and materials one can use to stay warm while riding and sleeping outside in the winter.

Very good post and a sound question. Have enjoyed reading everyone's postings. Always learn something new everyday on this site. Keep on keeping brothers and sisters and safe travles.

Last edited:

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
Dude.

0 degree synthetic bag

Thermarest base camp pad (heavy but worth it

Cotton sleeping bag liner

Outdoor Reseach advanced bivy

2 heavy duty tarps.

It's like having an apartment outdoors ;)

Approx. 8 lbs altogether. Worth it.

Threads
Current Location
Toronto
Reactions
96% 1% 3%
- Damn near same as above. Summer:

- 0'C (20'F) Down mummy bag

- Mummy style cotton liner

- Military Issue Gore-tex bivy bag

- Thermarest RidgeRest (cut to 3/4 length)(dog uses the other 1/4)

- Generic blue poly tarp 8' x 10' w/ pegs from another tent and pre-made guylines and ridgeline*
*Going to upgrade to a heavy duty tarp.

In the winter, I use the Canadian Forces issue 2-bag sleeping system with issued liner, which when new was good to -55'C (-67'F). After 30 years it's good down to approximately -25'C (-13'F)

Threads
Current Location
new Orleans
Reactions
95% 2% 2%
Army blanket tarp but im only outside in summer

Threads
Current Location
Lethbridge, Alberta
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
What I'm using now; -5 sleeping bag, canvas sleeping bag cover, and lightweight emergency bivy.

In the winter I had a snugpak hooped bivy and it was sick, but I unfortunately lose all my shit quite often so... it's gone. I'm planning to get a 1 man tent and adding a sleeping pad.

Threads
Current Location
Metz
Reactions
74% 7% 19%
If you like the US military bivy but want something lighter and less bulky check out the Snugpak Bivy. It weighs around 600g-700g less I guess and packs up to pretty much nothing. Not as rugged though, so maybe not for on the rails (never hopped). But for off the rails way better than the US one.

Edit: I am not talking about the one with a loop.

Threads
Current Location
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I use the tent called Wild Zephyros 1, I use it in all seasons but it's a last resort if I can't find a cheap hostel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Donate to StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$40.00
Goal
$50.00

Latest Status Updates

FenrirFox wrote on Gaucho Deluxe's profile.
Goocho only follows me! Lol.
The canaries are a catastrophic area since yesterday, global warming ain't gonna pass tommorow, i'm scared of the fucking ocean in general, let alone fucking tsunamis and shit, and even if i'd stay off the beaches, the rains are so heavy that the trip seems pointless, someone kick me while i'm down
Fuck this shit, 3 months of preparing for a trip to the Canaries just went down the drain, my guitaritst bailed out of the idea to start a job and a "steady life", my bestie is getting all weird and i don't think she wants to go.
i was already preparing for going solo when suddenly life (fucking Shell and coal miners!!!) was all like "nooo of course you don't want to go"
going crazy..
i dont get people. i am heartbroken, society disappointed and road sick for the last few months.. i need help..
Happy 40th birthday, jonestown massacre.
YOUR HEART IS A MUSCLE THE SIZE OF YOUR FIST
Leo
Finished working in Dutch Harbor. In Anchorage for now.
A bottle in one hand
A joint in the other
A scar on my heart
I carve another
You ever just look at a word and it freaks you out because it's spelled right but you start thinking on some meta shit how does this noise mean this concept? 'Smooth' freaks me out right now.
Sleipnir wrote on Gaucho Deluxe's profile.
is there a reason you down voted my post? it was on topic, and the people there were pretty horrible. so unless you were one if them, im confused

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
Steve bennett