What classifies someone as a "slut"? | Squat the Planet

What classifies someone as a "slut"?

Franny

Reaction score
Under what circumstances would you say or think someone was a slut? Is it simply the number of partners one has had, or something else? Does it make a difference if the person in question is male or female?

This has been bothering me a lot lately, and I'd appreciate some feedback.

stove

Reaction score
Good question, no real answer, but I would say someone whom isn't selective, insofar as they want to get fucked and don't care WHO. I would feel the same way guy o girl.

Reactions: Killjoy

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
A "slut" is a girl who isn't a "prude". Its a lose-lose situation, honestly. I just avoid both words generally. Sex is fun, don't see the point in setting a quota.

damn, that's twice tonight you've hit the nail on the head!

"slut" is setting a standard for how much sex you should or should not be having.

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
Does it have to be different penises/holes? I mean, what if you've just got a few excellent lovers?

Or what if you really like group sex?

I don't know what slut means, so I don't say it. I have ideas about what it means from hearing people use it all the time, and I think their definitions are stupid and harmful.
When I hear "slut" it is usually being said by a male about a female, and it usually means "she had sex with someone who wasn't me and/or makes her own decisions about her sex life". Those both sound alright, but for some reason it always seems to be said with hostility and with the assumption that it will hurt the person being called "slut".
That's some bullshit.
It's obvious to me (and the people who I choose to hangout with) that a persons sexual (or nonsexual) preferences are theirs and do not belong to a whole bunch of men who feel entitled to that persons body and mind. I thought that's why so many of us think traditions like christianity and islam are so ridiculous.

wow, I wrote all that without meaning to and I know this thread did not invite me to rant about this so I'll stop.

But has anyone ever read Cunt by Inga Musico?
I recently did and it has some fairly weak and typical but also inspiring sections about reclaiming the words "slut" and "whore" by seeing how those words evolved throughout history and looks at where a whore used to stand in society (much higher than in this society).

Reactions: Bunny Lucia and Hal

bote

Reaction score
all the smarter stuff has already been said, I think slut is a derogatory term and has no real value beyond putting somebody down.
Even those who embrace the term, I think they do it on the basis of enjoying breaking taboos.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
Well, someone who has lots and lots and lots of sex with tons of different people with no real limits to whom they have sex with...but it all depends on your view if the term slut. Is it a good thing or bad thing?...In my eyes I think it's human nature to want to feel sexual pleasure cause it feels so damn good!! So if I'm called a man whore or a man slut I just smile and say yup!!

Reactions: incognita

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
I've read Muscio's Cunt; it ain't perfect (what is?) as, but I heartily recommend it.

Don't y'all think that saying "man whore" indicates that a "whore" is defined as a woman (thus it must be noted when it's not referencing a woman)? And if that's true, doesn't that make the use of the term "whore" (or "man whore") sexist, and so wouldn't we rather drop it from use?

Reactions: Hal

Franny

Reaction score
I like this word:

promiscuous

Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin promiscuus, from pro- forth + miscēre to mix — more at pro-, mix

1 : composed of all sorts of persons or things
2 : not restricted to one class, sort, or person : indiscriminate
3 : not restricted to one sexual partner
4 : casual, irregular

When I'm called a slut, I RAGE. But if someone actually ever commented that I was promiscuous, I might take that as a compliment.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Boy howdy,is this a thread that is gonna cause some sh*t.
Anyhow,slut is a basically 20th century term that probably arose out of the religious revival around the mid-Great Depression period,and used mostly by men to define sexually active women that were having sex(but not with them),and by women that were feeling threatened by those same women.All in all,a rather poor response to the natural biological urge.Gradually made it's way to common usage as an approbation for anyone(inclusive of the GLBT community) having sex with someone;or appearing to have a relationship with someone,other than the person using the word.
Whore.What a marvelous,powerful,elegant word!One that has fallen deeply into sad misuse,and that should be having a better fate.The use as a job description for a sex worker goes back probably to Gilgamesh,and the sacred temple whores(I won't use prostitute,such a shallow and mean-spirted word),applied to both male and female.What higher calling could there be that initiating the mysteries of life itself.It was only in the Victorian era (when there was real debate over putting pants on the Michelangelo's "David") that it started to fall,and then only as a attempt to control the uncontrollable.I for one would treasure finding a "comely whore,courteous and professional",as was the description of one such young woman from a 17th century text.However,society has chosen to mark this as a "bad"thing,ignoring the fact that perhaps half of the marraige arrangements in the U.S. alone are based on financial considerations,and it would be wrong for that to be out in the open.

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I've read Muscio's Cunt; it ain't perfect (what is?) as, but I heartily recommend it.

Don't y'all think that saying "man whore" indicates that a "whore" is defined as a woman (thus it must be noted when it's not referencing a woman)? And if that's true, doesn't that make the use of the term "whore" (or "man whore") sexist, and so wouldn't we rather drop it from use?

I'd say that whore is more of a term for women than men because it seems like there are more female whores than male whores, at least around here.

Anyway, I say a person is a slut if they accept money for sex. Slut and whore and prostitute become synonymous. If someone, male or female, digs sex and has a lot of it just out of their pure, unrequited love for the act itself, I don't think they're a slut, though.

Reactions: CXR1037
I

IBRRHOBO

What led you to this conclusion?

if i can get laid the first night i consider myself (and whomever i am doing it with) fortunate. the term slut, to me, is dictated by the societal strata one occupies. here's the deal: victorian-esque society would say a slut is antithetical to christian values (out of wedlock, etc.), thus wrong. so, what strata do you occupy? in my world, it makes FAR more sense to bypass the courting, wining and dining from a purely fiscal point of view.

you can really use any word here: say murder. murder is wrong unless government orchestrated (e.g.; war, assassination, etc.)

BTW intriguing question (as are a lot of your posts!). should rap one day w/a quart of bourbon, tape recorder and list of topics! :drinking:

lobotomy3yes

Reaction score
The term sl*t is used by males (and females, though with dif. contexts) to denigrate someone who has most of these qualities:

A. Does not have a penis. This is most important.
B. Is considered completely dominated by male control. Males are obsessed with control, but even more obsessed with futile attempts at resistance. It's "the chase."
C. Has no self-esteem. She obviously hates herself.
D. Has no self-control. She can't resist that manly charm.

Most usage of the word is somewhat like that above. There is a darker context though, and that is when sl*t means the following:

A. She loves sex, but she loves even more to deprive men of sex, or cut them short.
B. She is contemptuous, especially towards men.
C. She sleeps with some men just to spite other men
D. She sleeps with everyone but the "good guys" such as the accusatory male.

Both usages are fucking disgusting, but the second is downright predatory. The second usage of the word implies a deeply held hatred for women. You may not hear this hatred often, but that is because you probably aren't looking for it. This is what you hear from MRAs, rapists, angry ex's, and abusers of all sorts.

The bottom line is that this is about control. It has nothing to do with promiscuity. Promiscuity is great (worth 50 man points) and encouraged, as long as it's a man. When men say this out of pure hatred, it's usually because they believe the woman in question purposefully spited them. I see this a lot with angry ex-boyfriends and ex-husbands. Of course she must have been cheating on him. She hated him so much she had to sleep with every man she could find. He did everything right and then some. He was never abusive, psychotic, or authoritarian.

These men don't realize that they are the scum of the earth. They are more than delusional, they fucking sadistic and cruel. GTFuckingO if you meet someone like this. If contact with them is unavoidable, at least bring a gun.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
The term sl*t is used by males (and females, though with dif. contexts) to denigrate someone who has most of these qualities:

A. Does not have a penis. This is most important.
B. Is considered completely dominated by male control. Males are obsessed with control, but even more obsessed with futile attempts at resistance. It's "the chase."
C. Has no self-esteem. She obviously hates herself.
D. Has no self-control. She can't resist that manly charm.

Most usage of the word is somewhat like that above. There is a darker context though, and that is when sl*t means the following:

A. She loves sex, but she loves even more to deprive men of sex, or cut them short.
B. She is contemptuous, especially towards men.
C. She sleeps with some men just to spite other men
D. She sleeps with everyone but the "good guys" such as the accusatory male.

Both usages are fucking disgusting, but the second is downright predatory. The second usage of the word implies a deeply held hatred for women. You may not hear this hatred often, but that is because you probably aren't looking for it. This is what you hear from MRAs, rapists, angry ex's, and abusers of all sorts.

The bottom line is that this is about control. It has nothing to do with promiscuity. Promiscuity is great (worth 50 man points) and encouraged, as long as it's a man. When men say this out of pure hatred, it's usually because they believe the woman in question purposefully spited them. I see this a lot with angry ex-boyfriends and ex-husbands. Of course she must have been cheating on him. She hated him so much she had to sleep with every man she could find. He did everything right and then some. He was never abusive, psychotic, or authoritarian.

These men don't realize that they are the scum of the earth. They are more than delusional, they fucking sadistic and cruel. GTFuckingO if you meet someone like this. If contact with them is unavoidable, at least bring a gun.

Sounds to me like you have a grudge towards guys...and none of this is true...I've heard plenty of females use it in the exact same context that you're accusing only guys of. There's nothing wrong with having alot of sex. It's human nature! It's society who frowns upon it, so it MUST be bad...FUCK NO!! Just because it's out of the norm for society, doesn't mean it's a bad thing

Reactions: Dexterra

stove

Reaction score
Well, I'd like to point out that a lot of this is from the very AMERICAN perspective. While I've not traveled everywhere, I've been in a number of societies where promiscuity is more commonplace than the States, and is not frowned upon at all.

Back to the original point, however:

A slut, to me, is someone without any self-respect. Yes, is it a derogatory comment. It's not nice, most certainly. But it's not a label which I personally would use often, and only on the loosest, dirtiest mattress out there.

Reactions: Mankini

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads