What are your thoughts on shelters?

moderntrivia

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
When things are going well, people humbly enjoy their lives. When things get shitty, people quietly look out for each other. I think there’s something admirable in that.
I can’t explain my whole life obviously. I got into this position due to a complex set of mistakes and misfortunes. I take responsibility for the mistakes, but the misfortunes. I don’t know.
I have to take life as it is. with enthusiasm!
I’ve been on and off the streets for almost a decade.
Personal dissuasions with panhandling. NO problem with someone giving me something, like a Christmas present,
but asking? For some reason, I can’t.
The South Wilmington Street Shelter apparently has decent people but I don’t think I can do it. I’d rather steal, drink, and sleep on the street at this point then be ordered around all day and night in this place. I can’t deal with case managers, church members, etcetera, while my siblings get married and live their lives and my step dad takes nothing of what I say seriously.
I have a job up north that requires gear and I’m stubbornly fixed on making my way there without having to ask for help. I’m on the street.
I have aspirations to live on the road and create something on the web. But delicate things break and get stolen.

Reactions: roughdraft

Tony G

Reaction score
Man Ive been there it all depends I've been in small town shelters they're decent for a time if you can deal with stealing and assholes but i've been to large ones on both coast they're a whole nother ball of wax if your on the streets of a major your better off trying to squat or do what i do hop a train and GTFO of there

Reactions: moderntrivia

moderntrivia

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Man Ive been there it all depends I've been in small town shelters they're decent for a time if you can deal with stealing and assholes but i've been to large ones on both coast they're a whole nother ball of wax if your on the streets of a major your better off trying to squat or do what i do hop a train and GTFO of there
That’s exactly it about the small shelters. If anything people tend to steal less. It’s like stealing from a roommate.

The city shelters feel like a punishment a lot of times. The place I'm at is surrounded by two barbed wire fences.

In the South, at least where I'm at, I think the stereotype about people being nicer is generally true. The influence of Christianity is a double-edge sword. People are more generous, but there are a lot of rules that don't necessarily make sense.

I'll be staying here for now.

Reactions: roughdraft

WanderLost

Reaction score
Usually more trouble than they're worth ime. I don't like places with a long intake process. It's nice to shower up sometimes though.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads