What are your favorite Folk/Bluegrass bands?

Threads
Current Location
Eugene, Oregon
Starting this thread in hopes to get a good discussion started about what type of artists you hobos like to listen to in the Folk/Bluegrass genre. Also to hear about any stories you might have about certain songs or shows you've been to that have impacted you on your journeys.

_What are your favorite Folk/Bluegrass bands?_Art & Music_Squat the Planet_2:31 PM

OP
OP
Trooper
Threads
Current Location
Eugene, Oregon
3 words.....PAT THE BUNNY
I love Pat The Bunny! I remember when i got kicked out of the house for the first time i moved in with a junkie, who would later become one of my best friends, and at the time i had just discovered probably nothing, possibly everything, and it changed my whole perspective on folk and lyric writing.. some deep shit on that album, helped me though a rough time.

Threads
Current Location
Houston, Texas
Been listening a lot of folk punk these days, on Ramshackle Glory now. Check out Blackbird Raum and Dummy Head Torpedo if you haven't heard of them.

(The whole album is in the channel)

Threads
Current Location
western mass
i have never been into bluegrass & am aging out of being able to tolerate all the screaming in folk-punk, but i do have an enduring love of appalachian old-time that started from trying to learn clawhammer banjo. tommy jarrell is my all-time favorite classic folk artist in that genre...be good tanyas are a really lovely, girly indie neo-americana sort of band. oh yeah, check out roscoe holcomb for some true lonesome old school mountain banjo blues!

OP
OP
Trooper
Threads
Current Location
Eugene, Oregon
i have never been into bluegrass & am aging out of being able to tolerate all the screaming in folk-punk, but i do have an enduring love of appalachian old-time that started from trying to learn clawhammer banjo. tommy jarrell is my all-time favorite classic folk artist in that genre...be good tanyas are a really lovely, girly indie neo-americana sort of band. oh yeah, check out roscoe holcomb for some true lonesome old school mountain banjo blues!
Checked out all of those artists, its really good! thanks for sharing!

NotmybestNotmyworst

Wanderer
StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
Bluegrass/folk like old blues are history in song. Americana at its finest imo. Folk punk/traveller stuff is like homage to those stories and like a carrying on of the torch. It always feels old timey. Simple and nostalgic. There really is so much history and depth in it i love it. I love to wander youtube listening o stuff in these general genres. So much good shit. Ive really dug this song lately..... hogslop string band ~ Reuben's train

https://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=161482

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Top Poster of the Month
Threads
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
There have been many threads about this recently.

Steeldrivers
Alison Krause and union station
Bela fleck and the flecktones
Jim croce
Bob Dylan
Woody Guthrie
Red bird
Old crow MS
Chris Stapleton
Trampled by turtles
So many more.

Pandora is your best friend. Their Americana station is amazing.

Not too much into the folk punk genre. But am trying to get into it.

Threads
Current Location
Seattle
You might be surprised at some good folk bluegrass music from The Grateful Dead... also a lot of good Jerry Garcia solo stuff too.

Threads
Current Location
Savannah Georgia
I listen to a lot of fulk punk like ajj, ghost mice, harley poe kind of stuff i wear an ajj patch on my hoodie my best friend made me and when i met some train kids in my hometown of savannah georgia they noticed my patch and we talked for a good bit its actually how i found this website! Im so glad theres a community who appreciates weird folk tunes