What are you afraid of that hasn't happened, while traveling?

00kissmarrykick00

I gotta be STOKED to be FLEXIBLE!
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Nothing traumatizing. But I want to ask what are you afraid of while you're on the road that hasn't happened to you?

Something that I'm kind of paranoid about is getting a ride from someone with my pack in the backseat or a trunk and them speeding off with my stuff when they dropped me off.

Most people are trustworthy, and it's capitalism that puts people in these bad positions. Even if they don't need it, they feel a sense of capitalist power in doing stuff like that to people that have less advantages than them.

Even though I don't think that this is the thing that will ever actually happen because I'm good at feeling people out, I've heard of people that it's happened to, and it's just terrible for somebody to build up trust and then do something like that.

What is the possible thing that's creeping up in the back of your mind?

The Toecutter

The Patron Saint of Filth
Reaction score
Getting caught with drugs. Although to be fair, I take precautions to assure that if I'm carrying them, they are never found. That has saved me more than once where the police never found anything during their search. More then once, I've been stopped and harassed by police claiming I had drugs at times when I didn't. Cops have even planted drugs in my possessions.

Luckily, I've never been arrested, for anything. I intend to keep things that way.

• Agree
Reactions: 00kissmarrykick00

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Getting off a sided train in the middle of nowhere (like on the overland) to take a shit or something, and not being able to get back on...like if it takes off and you don't notice or something. That would be close to a death sentence. Especially in winter/summer.

That or being rolled at a catch out. It's weird tho, I still haven't really been to a catch that I was in fear for my safety outside of Stockton and Bakersfield.

Last edited:

otch0z

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Nothing traumatizing. But I want to ask what are you afraid of while you're on the road that hasn't happened to you?

Something that I'm kind of paranoid about is getting a ride from someone with my pack in the backseat or a trunk and them speeding off with my stuff when they dropped me off.

Most people are trustworthy, and it's capitalism that puts people in these bad positions. Even if they don't need it, they feel a sense of capitalist power in doing stuff like that to people that have less advantages than them.

Even though I don't think that this is the thing that will ever actually happen because I'm good at feeling people out, I've heard of people that it's happened to, and it's just terrible for somebody to build up trust and then do something like that.

What is the possible thing that's creeping up in the back of your mind?

What you can do about that is leaving the front door open while you retrieve your stuff
Also i always say "well thanks for the ride, alrighty juste gonna get my stuff in the back" and then i say goodbye while closing the door
I don't think people would steal from me but they might forget and drive off (i could forget and drive off honestly)

The thing I'm truly afraid happens while traveling hasn't happened while traveling but is very traumatizing.
But apart from that I've lost so many hats in cars, hitchiking, and i now feel like each hat i own is gonna disappear eventually :(

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads