What are the chances of me needing to defend myself?Hitching/train hopping (1 Viewer)

Bl3wbyyou

Current Location
Perry,Florida
Yay 1st thread =D.

I'm curious as to how often i will need to defend myself,it seems like hitch hiking by far has less of the trash of society running thru there.But it seems like they like to run thru train hopping so far so i am very curious as to what are the chances of me having to defend myself.I do happen to conceal a 15inch machette behind my frame in my allis pack which you can't even see from infront of me as i am a big guy and i am 6'4 276lbs.So i haven't been messed with much even walking around town with my pack and other crap.

But i did test this method on some dumbass redneck who was outside and his dog was chasing me,and this was fucking funny as shit lol his dog runs up to me and i whip the machette out and his dog just locks up and the damn owner locks up too.LOL he didn't say shit and was in shock,about 15 mins later the law came by me and hit his brakes and gave me a look over and took off this happend about 5 times out of a 14 mile walk.

I also do happen to open carry my 9inch bowie knife that is on my hip at all times,i figure if anyone has any form of self presveration that they will stop when they see that,and i do carry a few small cans of mace as well.

I guess i am well prepaired to what might/will happen,guess i just have the odds on my side unless if it comes to someone pulling a gun on me then in that case im pretty well screwed,oh well least ill get my 15 mins of fame on the local news =D.

I might also get a cheapo handgun just incase,but im sure that will get me picked on by the pigs more often then even having to use it lol.

I just wanna hear from others what happens on most of your trips as far as getting messed with and all that drama crap.I'm pretty damn sure i can handle myself rather nicely if the situation presents itself.

Btw,i love this forum you guys really have alot of useful knowledge and i plan on going to the Ocala meet this month around the 14th ill be there and hope to meet up with some fellow travelers.

Thanks
-Chris

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Dmac

Wanderer
Current Location
outside omaha
really a knife with a blade 6 inches long will get you into trouble by the law more often or not. if the cops found the mechete on you you would probably end up going to jail. and i would not want to be found with the gun at all, anywhere evan with a permit it would still suck. i am 6 ft and 240 lbs and have only had problems when i was not thinking about what i was getting into (or where i was going) or was really fucked up. mace is always a good thing to carry, but it is illeagle in some states also. i carry a buck folding knife with a 3 and1/2 inch blade which is leagle in most every state. it also works just like a roll of quarters in my fist. i also carry a straight blade buck knife with a 5 inch blade, but don't wear it on me. never had to use the mace on a person (but i have had to threaten a couple of guys). but have used it on some dogs, works good. never had trouble one to one, and not to worried about 2 to 1, but try to avoid groups, especially young high school aged type with crap to prove. you know the type that blow up areas and do stupid crap for no reason. i also, almost always travel with a large walking stick, more of a staff really. it has many used and i have never cought shit from cops for having it with me. at your size you shouldn't have a problem if you keep your wits about you, or are you that much of a wimp that you don't feel safe unless you are armed to the teeth? or just paronaid?

Dmac

Wanderer
Current Location
outside omaha
that being said, i have had way, way more trouble with dogs than people (other than cops). the mace and a walking stick will take care of the dogs. i don't know about a pack of them though. good luck

OP
Bl3wbyyou

Bl3wbyyou

Current Location
Perry,Florida
Yeah i figure ill have more run ins with dogs then actual people,I think the same tails in with dealing with people all you really have to do is just stand your ground and keep your wits about you.I have followed up on state laws about fixed blades and only in a few states sizes are banned or frowned upon,i know Florida is a open carry state and same as GA and others and long as its in public view in a sheath you can carry just about any size blade you want.I think there is roughly 3-4 states where you can't open carry a blade bigger then 6inches,in that case i do have another knife that i could change out to that fits that size nicely.

That being said i actually do use the machete for craving thru underbrush and its just a tool in the end and i haven't really been given any shit about it as of lately,but time will show though lol.Other thing i forgot to mention is that i really use that bowie just for splitting wood and cutting thru underbrush,so it really isn't used as a defense weapon more of a useful tool then anything but it can be used as that just like any other blade.

I know for a fact though that i am gonna carry that 9inch of mine as i trust that damn thing more then any other bladed weapon i have at my disposable,hell i might just leave the machete and just stick with that bowie as its proven itself time and time again that its worth lugging around i just don't know if its intimidating enough to detire your average meth head lol.

Least i have some basics covered for now and plus my size and all that jazzy crap i really shouldn't catch anyone's attention who wants to mess around with me.Though there is that one asshat who thinks he is above everyone lol,in that case we will have our self's some fun then.

Another thing i forgot to put on the table is i do happen to carry a 200 lumen's led flashlight that is used by cops as well,that will do a damn handy job in a nighttime environment and some stupid drunken idiot decides to try something i can blind them then if i need to i can mace em when they are blinded lol.

Thanks for the heads up, i always try to avoid sketchy people to begin with and large groups of people that are just as sketchy to me.I do know what to look for and can read pretty much anyone and know how to deal with people who try and size you up before they begin beating the shit out of you.

Should be a interesting journey =D full of god knows what lol.

JAdams87

Lurker
Current Location
texas
You shouldnt have to many run ins just play it smart and youll probably be okay. Be extremely careful with the knifes and stuff. i carry several myself but i have never pulled them out in any kind of situation other than to cut para-cord or to clean a fish/animal. If you do have to pull it out only do so once your a 100% about to use it. The longer your waving it around the more chance you have of losing it depending on your attacker.

OP
Bl3wbyyou

Bl3wbyyou

Current Location
Perry,Florida
Yeah i really just use the knifes i carry as merely camp tools,i know that the mace i have will do any job i require it do to when it comes to self defense.That stuff is nasty lol.I expect to have to deal with more of the dogs/wild animals then dealing with people who are out to do harm.Just use common sense and stay out of sketchy areas and avoid groups of people.I am a non drama person to begin with so il should do great just myself.

I'll be heading out on my 1st trip in march/april.But i will be at the ocala meet and hopefully ill meet some travel buddys and take off from there to wherever.

Its all up in the air but i know i will rub elbows with some nice people sooner or later that won't mind me being around and helping out each other.

Thanks for the info =D.

uncivilize

Lurker
Current Location
Wild
When I first got interested in riding trains it was the early 90's, a whole different thing back then. I didn't actually start riding until many years later, but going off what I knew previously, I expected (and prepared) for the worst. It ain't like it used to be. The majority of people I meet out there are good folks. Scumfucks can be pretty sketchy, but normally easy to spot and avoid. Really, most of the time I rarely see anyone else when I'm riding, except of course for the height of summer in the northwest when it's usually just a bunch of silly kids on an adventure. That said, it still is a fringe of society, there are people out there moving around by train because of the lower chance of contact with people, because they've got something to hide/run from. Treat it the same way you would walking through the hood, keep your head up, eyes and ears open, hope for the best, plan for the worst. Safe travels!

Raging Bird

Wayfarer
Current Location
New Orleans
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
It's more a function of who you are than what the world is going to be like. Nobody's really objectively dangerous or threatening, but just about everyone can be talked into behaving that way. Traveling is entering a world where there are fewer consequences for doing so. I guess it's really a question of whether or not you know how to read social situations and keep people on a safe page.

Current Location
Los Angeles
ya i've kind of got the same thoughts on how likely i am to get fucked with on trains since im about to hit them, im a pretty small guy and i own no knifes or guns of any kind, my best defense is the nearest stick haha

Noble Savage

Current Location
the back row
After ya jump in a thousand cars ya kinda learn right away what kind of person the driver is as soon as ya get in the car or if your paying attention as you look in their eyes when they're going by ya on the ramp.

I got a ride from a guy when I was about 14 or 15 that doubled back to give me a ride which is a first threat level indicator right there. We pulled onto a back road to smoke a joint (#2) and when I asked if I could buy one off him as I was going to a friends house the next town over, after rolling it up he said he would give it to me if I let him see my dick I said no thanks and left a buck on the seat and hopped out and started walkin'... he gets out of the truck and starts jacking off...
Most gays back off if you tell them no, its the meth/crack heads and drunk drivers ya gotta watch out for.

if your hitching the cops WILL stop and run your i.d. and may want to search you, I myself trust my instincts and carry less than 6" blade to avoid hassles from Barney

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
carrying a gun would just be plain dumb. youd be drawing far more attention to yourself and making it worse on any other people who may pass through the town you get fucked with in. ide hate to be detained for 2 hours while every piece of my pack is searched because somebody saw Railkings too many times.

E

Earth

I deleted myself
when you meet someone you cant figure out, always remember they know nothing about who you are, or what you are about.
i mean, think about it... some foo' rolls up on you, they have no idea that they could be flirting with disaster cause they know nothing about ya.
i stopped carrying any kind of weapons, what for??
besides, anything you carry can be used on you if the wrong dude comes your way.
i deal with trouble by simply avoiding it.
too old for any of that shit anyway......

jeffyDee

Current Location
where ever i want to be
i just carry a centrifugal folder knife and most of the time theres weapons all around you plus if you punch the fucker in the throat hes fucked give him a few punchs too the face and bring the boots down on him

E

Earth

I deleted myself
My original answer (which I don't even remember posting) still holds water, but I've since bought a 6" titanium diving knife...

I still believe the best way to avoid trouble is by not seeking it, but sometimes it rolls up on you, and you've got no choice - you've got to do something to save yourself - but just remember, if you do use a weapon - even if you are the one attacked, the story will be twisted in such a way that you willl be in court trying to defend yourself - for defending yourself...

P

Pheonix

I deleted myself
even if you are the one attacked, the story will be twisted in such a way that you willl be in court trying to defend yourself - for defending yourself...
commit a crime and live or die as a law abiding citizen. I know what my choice will be.

finn

Playground Monitor
.. if you do use a weapon - even if you are the one attacked, the story will be twisted in such a way that you willl be in court trying to defend yourself - for defending yourself...
Well, truth be told, even defending yourself with your bare hands can get you in trouble, but I find that if you seem to be keen and alert and not afraid, 90 percent of the time the aggressor will take their chances elsewhere. What works for me is to sigh in a sort of bored frustration and to fluidly reach for and get a weapon, like a Ulock, and get ready to move. For some reason it really gets people into the 'oh shit move away' mood, and I'm not really a big guy either.
I don't think the chances of getting into a fight is that high though, traveling wise I've only gotten into a handful of encounters.

Shannon

Current Location
Oakland, United States
This is something I've given a lot of thought to, and am reminded of every time someone asks me, "What's a girl like you doing traveling alone?"

I was just kicking it with some old 'bo's around Black Butte/Weed, folks who've traveled harder than I ever have, and they claimed that with the right attitude they've never needed weapons.

But one's need for armed protection is situational. You might get unlucky, you can be in the wrong hood or be confronted by the wrong crew, and no one would hear you round the tracks. I've gotten out of that through evasive behavior, a tall male road dog, and a hound, but was grateful that I generally pack pepper spray, a blade, and a stun gun.

All the responses thus far are posted by men. As a girl generally alone, I'm MUCH more likely to be perceived as a target for rape, theft, or other mischief. Also am given more of a pass by law enforcement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Macon for a super hot minute. Who what when where?
Finished an initial draft of a floorplan for my new van:
A lot has happened since returning to California. Just two days after returning from the road, I grew the courage to leave my abusive SO and stop hiding her abuse. I returned to my hometown in the Bay Area; I’m now going to stay housed up here until next summer as I recover from trauma and save up for my next adventure. I’ve just gotten a job offer, and will be renting a room of my own here!
I learned a lot about myself and the world on the road, but I know vagabonding is the life for me!
I never did complete an update here, did I?
Well, I rubbertramped all across the country, back from Boston with a fellow moderator from R&V. We drove from there to Las Vegas over the course of a month! I saw 4 national parks, 30 states, and crossed over 6000+ miles. I came back to Los Angeles on June 15th, having achieved my goal of hitchhiking the entire country, and was on the road for over two months.
3 weeks of CDL training starting Monday. Im so excited. Living in semi is an upgrade from living in the van, especially since your getting paid for it! Hells yea!!!
A list of all the magic stores in the U.S. would be a sick feature on stp. Imagine you get off the train desperately in need of smokes and a slam, but you got ran off every corner... Dont worry stp knows exactly where you can get pall malls and some steelies with those foodies you picked up in the last town.
Engineer J Lupo wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
Happy Birthday, dad!
I really need to find someone catching out around at joseph... I don't know if I can do this for the first time in my own...
you are not immune to propaganda
EastCoastTurtle wrote on sydaavicious's profile.
You sould come chill in Bend. Could show you around. + its super chill out here.