1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Photos western catskills

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by Koala, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Koala

Koala sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Student
    Address:
    Miami, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +509 / -4
    In August, some friends I made in Australia were tramping the US a bit and we all met up where I'm from, in Upstate New York to go for a quick jaunt in the Catskills. I knew it would be a good time no matter what, but it turned into one of those trips where around every corner is something more amazing than the last!

We planned to do an overnight camp, so after stocking up on a couple new items we needed and getting that nice 5 finger discount, we drove out past a bunch of colleges I'd only ever heard the names of before and entered the woods for a 1 night stay. We were to hike past Mud Pond first, and then sleep at a lean to at Trout Pond further down the path.
    DSC02842.JPG

DSC02823.JPG
    At Mud Pond, we found a canoe with a few makeshift paddles that someone had left behind! It was a little leaky but we did a perimeter around the pond anyway. It was still, still and sounds of the paddles hitting the boat and our laughs and yelps echoed back at us through the valley, louder than the noise we even made in the first place.
    DSC02834.JPG

We continued on down the trail and after a few inclines and declines through the heavily wooded forest, we hit Trout Pond just before sunset, and much to our pleasure, another canoe! This one did not have as great paddles - just a giant branch and a heavy flat stone the size of the trunk of my body - but we breathed in the sunset toke afloat on the calm and still pond just the same.
    DSC02844.JPG

DSC02845.JPG
    Now what do you do after dark? Eat, of course. In our newly acquired collapsible cooking pot, we made elbow pasta with all sorts of veggies, and lots of crushed red pepper.
    DSC02854.JPG

I slept like a damn baby (my friends, not so much - they kept thinking about bears!). It rained the whole morning so not much of a sunrise, unfortunately. But the rain drizzle matched my lazy mood, and I could not have been more thankful to be under a lean-to that night!
    image1(5).JPG
    We made a breakfast of oatmeal and slowly got ourselves up and mozeying on down the trail......cause I had to be back to work my seasonal job by that late afternoon!!
    DSC02861.JPG

DSC02862.JPG

• Like Like x 8
    • Epic Epic x 2
    #1 Koala, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. bruises

bruises is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    sw
    Address:
    Moonee Ponds, VIC, Australia
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +19 / -0
    YA ALL CUTENESS AAAWWWWWWW :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Shadow

Shadow Appreciated Participator

Achievements:
    breathing
    Address:
    Tucson, AZ, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +124 / -0
    Looks beautiful.

4. Spider Tempura

Spider Tempura Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Address:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    Thats right, we have to lock up bikes, canoes and kayaks now when we go off to forage for food. I hope you returned the canoe when you were done "borrowing" it. It is possible that someone offgrid could have been using it to feed themselves. Entirely possible that it was their only canoe, its not the sort of survival gear that people pack extras of.

5. OP
    OP
    Koala

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Student
    Address:
    Miami, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +509 / -4
    Of course, I didnt claim it & drag it out the trail with me, lol @Spider Tempura

One of the canoes was left by someone who recorded it in the log notebook/journal in the lean-to I slept in. Definitely used a lot by fishermen, Trout Pond is apparently actually quite full of trout :)

6. OP
    OP
    Koala

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Student
    Address:
    Miami, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +509 / -4
    This was a maintained backcountry trail so guess the canoes could have been owned by off-grid foragers but i think it's more likely they were brought in by fishers/hikers and left for use

7. NeonMimic

NeonMimic Just signed up

Achievements:
    Address:
    Ripley, NY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    Oh man as someone from Upstate NY I love seeing others come and appreciate the beauty!