Photos western catskills

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
In August, some friends I made in Australia were tramping the US a bit and we all met up where I'm from, in Upstate New York to go for a quick jaunt in the Catskills. I knew it would be a good time no matter what, but it turned into one of those trips where around every corner is something more amazing than the last!

We planned to do an overnight camp, so after stocking up on a couple new items we needed and getting that nice 5 finger discount, we drove out past a bunch of colleges I'd only ever heard the names of before and entered the woods for a 1 night stay. We were to hike past Mud Pond first, and then sleep at a lean to at Trout Pond further down the path.
DSC02842.JPG

DSC02823.JPG

At Mud Pond, we found a canoe with a few makeshift paddles that someone had left behind! It was a little leaky but we did a perimeter around the pond anyway. It was still, still and sounds of the paddles hitting the boat and our laughs and yelps echoed back at us through the valley, louder than the noise we even made in the first place.
DSC02834.JPG

We continued on down the trail and after a few inclines and declines through the heavily wooded forest, we hit Trout Pond just before sunset, and much to our pleasure, another canoe! This one did not have as great paddles - just a giant branch and a heavy flat stone the size of the trunk of my body - but we breathed in the sunset toke afloat on the calm and still pond just the same.
DSC02844.JPG

DSC02845.JPG

Now what do you do after dark? Eat, of course. In our newly acquired collapsible cooking pot, we made elbow pasta with all sorts of veggies, and lots of crushed red pepper.
DSC02854.JPG

I slept like a damn baby (my friends, not so much - they kept thinking about bears!). It rained the whole morning so not much of a sunrise, unfortunately. But the rain drizzle matched my lazy mood, and I could not have been more thankful to be under a lean-to that night!
image1(5).JPG

We made a breakfast of oatmeal and slowly got ourselves up and mozeying on down the trail......cause I had to be back to work my seasonal job by that late afternoon!!
DSC02861.JPG

DSC02862.JPG

Last edited:

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Of course, I didnt claim it & drag it out the trail with me, lol @Spider Tempura

One of the canoes was left by someone who recorded it in the log notebook/journal in the lean-to I slept in. Definitely used a lot by fishermen, Trout Pond is apparently actually quite full of trout :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads