Read This First! Welcome to the Den of the Banned! (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, I am creating this forum section as a way for myself and the staff of StP to be more transparent with the community about why certain people get banned from the website. The threads in this section will announce who has been banned, the reason for the ban, and an explanation of the situation.

We will not be bothering with explaining why spam bots and the like are being removed (for obvious reasons), only situations in which real people have been permanently barred from the website. If someone appeals a ban successfully, we will restore their account and let the community know by posting a reply to their ban announcement thread.

Only StP staff can create threads in this section, although anyone is free to comment on any thread. It is my hope that this will make things a little more clear when someone chooses to ignore the rules and we are forced to take action in order to preserve a space that is open to everyone. Of course, if you have questions, comments, etc, post them here or contact a staff member. Thanks!

Why do you ban so many people?

I know it seems like there's a lot of banned users, but out of the near 15 years this website has been a forum with nearly 25,000 members during that time, there has been a total of 380 users banned. 80% of those were spam bots, but even leaving those in, that equals:

380 ÷ 25000 = 0.0152 = 1.52%

so less than 1.52% of the website members here have been banned over the past 15 years. i'd say we're more than fair given that average. The #1 reason for people being banned is breaking the website rules, so make sure you read them!

Last edited:
We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

NapalmBreath

Wayfarer
I've never personally encountered an online community with an appeal process in regards to bans and I think this is a great idea.

autumn

Lurker
Im glad youre doing this a few recent bans have rubbed me the wrong way and I think/hope this section will make things more understandable.
Which ones? Not to derail the thread - so please, everyone else keep your grievances out of here. This is not a 'debate bans' thread. But if you supply some names (and only names, not arguments; again, I don't want to instigate a flame war in here) I will collect the information and make ban threads for them, so everyone knows why they were banned.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't think it's that complicated... But seems most folks generally get fasttracked on the ban wagon cuz they have little self control and when criticized for breaking site rules tend to reply... often to Mat Mat with like a "#%#$" you you "#3$#)&" Suck my ")(#&R%)(" and Up Your "#()&$R#()" .... haha... don't bans me matt... love ya :p

So yea banned.

This is a good idea though... I'm all for transparency in the justice system meheheh.

It's the "Village of the Banned!" Good addition IMO.
BTW this is an awesome alternate title... a good counterpoint to Squatters of the Round table. (which I came up with btw lol :D)

quad8

Nowhere bound...
I like to think of this forum/sub-forum as the Hall of Shame. But if the "Den of the Banned" sounds better, then I support your decision. You already got several banned members before this forum was created, but we already seen our first actual inductee!

D

Deleted member 20975

I deleted myself
I vote for a name change to village if the banned. I think its too sweet to pass up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $10.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $10.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $10.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $10.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.