1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Announcement Website Update Dumpster Fire

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by Matt Derrick, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
    Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Professional Adventurer
    Address:
    Slab City, CA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +8,220 / -56
    I apologize for the weirdness with the website over the past two weeks.

I attempted an upgrade of the forum software we are using and the short version is that it did not work out the way I had planned.

Due to some misconfigurations of the server and some mistakes on my part, I did not notice some of the most major problems until well after a week after the upgrade was made.

The biggest problem was that some images were missing, but there were also a few errors with the database resulting in weird posts not appearing where they should be.

Unfortunately due to the way the upgrade process was designed, I lost the photos on many (but not all) of the threads that were promoted to our 'featured threads' section. This is particularly depressing to me since these were awesome photos in some of the best content that was contributed to StP.

I decided to roll back the website to a backup from 12/31/17, approximately two weeks ago. Unfortunately once again, the way the upgrade process was designed combined with the particular server configuration I had set up meant that the photos could not be recovered for these posts even after restoring from the backup.

So, I'm currently working on restoring photos from what few backups I have (mainly for my own articles and some stuff that was archived on the way back machine) but unless the original author can re-upload the photos, they are permanently gone.

Fortunately, this only effects about 30 threads in total, so anything that wasn't in the featured threads/articles section should be fine (which is 99.9% of the site) and their photos should show up properly.

As for any upgrades, StP will be sticking to the current version of the xenforo software (1.5) for the foreseeable future. We will not be attempting an upgrade to the new version (2.0) anytime soon; at least until more addons become available and I do more thorough testing on an server separate from the StP website.

Also, I will be looking into moving the website way from our current host (Linode.com) to a new host (most likely digitalocean.com) in the next 2-3 months (after I've spent our current credit with Linode). This is because their experimental 'block storage' feature was largely to blame for this loss of data and general confusion with the upgrade.

Keep in mind that any content posted or changes to your account made between 12/31/17 and 01/10/18 has been irrevocably lost and will need to be repeated.

I apologize for the inconvenience. If you have any questions or need assistance with anything please feel free to send me a message or post in this thread.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Koala

Koala sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves

Featured Threads:
    Student
    Address:
    Miami, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +559 / -5
    When will I learn to back up my stuff!!!! Lost my 'through the night to albuquerque' story that I put up right after the new update went live. Damn.

Glad nearly 100% of the posts are still around tho! Thanks for keeping us updated

3. OP
    OP
    Matt Derrick

Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Professional Adventurer
    Address:
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +8,220 / -56
    yeah, im super sorry about that, i feel awful about it. you might try and see if some of the pics got captured on http://web.archive.org/

4. OP
    OP
    Matt Derrick

Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Professional Adventurer
    Address:
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +8,220 / -56
    well, here's some good news.... i found an old copy from august 2017 that should have all the missing photos! yay for making multiple backups! i just gotta go to town where the internet is good and download the 14gb file and see what's inside...

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. quad8

quad8 Nowhere bound...
    StP Supporter

CEO of Quad 8 Studios
    Address:
    Brunswick, GA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +288 / -9
    I appreciate what you're trying to do to ensure the integrity of this community without too much of a compromise. I know that it's a bitch within a bitch to deal with databases and message board software because I been there myself. It's not easy and it doesn't always get any easier. The only thing I was good at was PHP, phpMyAdmin/MySQL, and phpBB which we know is open source message board software. I used to create custom templates for phpBB back when it was version 2.x but I retired from all that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jerrell

Jerrell Appreciated Participator

Disabled Veteran
    Address:
    Harlan, IA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +47 / -1
    I rarely acknowledge that I know anything (and honestly have forgotten a LOT) about the world of IT. Even though it was my job for the better part of two decades. haha
    I've made similar mis...calculations myself. So yeah, I also feel your pain.

7. Timm

Timm Sir Posts a Lot

Qualified welder/metal fabricator
    Address:
    Warburton, VIC, Australia
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +264 / -3
    No worries. Keep up the good work

8. salxtina

salxtina Celebrated Poster

My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +218 / -7
    Thanks for the updates. The "Nancy Minus" thread seems to have disappeared, any way to get it restored?

9. OP
    OP
    Matt Derrick

Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Professional Adventurer
    Address:
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +8,220 / -56
    If it was posted between the dates listed above, I'm afraid not.

10. Hobo Mud

Hobo Mud Keeping it hobo style
    StP Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Traveling Hobo - Work from city to city
    Address:
    Granbury, TX, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +107 / -1
    At least your doing everything in your power to continuously update and make the site better. I think your doing a fantastic job and all the hard work you have put into STP is certainly recognized. Keep on keeping on brother.

• Agree Agree x 1