We are a adverse possesion ecovillage project in pittsburgh pa

AnarchyandChaosInc

Reaction score
You may remember the post ecovillager made called squat Pittsburgh. We are the collective that he has been working with on the 23-acre adverse possession eco-village food forest project. We decided to create an account for the collective itself.

We are trying to turn 23 acres of unused land into a food forest and eco-village. We are preparing a wooded area in a very convenient location to accept campers and travelers who are passing through. We will not tolerate certain (hopefully obvious) attitudes, and behaviors, (like racism, theft, and littering). Message me or one of the group's affiliates for details. We would also like to say that we do appreciate if you help with projects but is not necessary if you're just staying for a little bit.

Some of our upcoming projects are to build some hugelkulture mounds. To get a landscaping company which will be permaculture and sustainability oriented started to gather materials and funds. Even the waste from normal landscaping jobs can be turned into compost. We also want to prep as much as we can in fall for planting in spring.

If this interests you and you want to visit or get involved please contact us.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Pretty darn cool! Am IMing you now. Oh and welcome :)

Reactions: AnarchyandChaosInc

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
ah i didn't see this thread till after i PM'ed you already, but sounds cool, i'd like to learn more!

Reactions: AnarchyandChaosInc

xeperu

Reaction score
You may remember the post ecovillager made called squat Pittsburgh. We are the collective that he has been working with on the 23-acre adverse possession eco-village food forest project. We decided to create an account for the collective itself.

We are trying to turn 23 acres of unused land into a food forest and eco-village. We are preparing a wooded area in a very convenient location to accept campers and travelers who are passing through. We will not tolerate certain (hopefully obvious) attitudes, and behaviors, (like racism, theft, and littering). Message me or one of the group's affiliates for details. We would also like to say that we do appreciate if you help with projects but is not necessary if you're just staying for a little bit.

Some of our upcoming projects are to build some hugelkulture mounds. To get a landscaping company which will be permaculture and sustainability oriented started to gather materials and funds. Even the waste from normal landscaping jobs can be turned into compost. We also want to prep as much as we can in fall for planting in spring.

This project sounds really awesome! I'm not headed that way any time soon, but I'll be keeping tabs on you guys and getting in touch when I can. Do you have a blog or anything like that?

Frenchie

Reaction score

Hey I'm in PA too and definitely interested in visiting and helping out. For some reason I can't send direct message (potentially because I'm new here) but I'd love to chat!

AngelicDirt

Reaction score
Oh, to be at the opposite end of this state right now. That sounds like time worth spending... XD

You guys need a blog or something. I would live to visit you later. :3

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
hey, i sent ya'll a message but haven't heard back yet. any updates?

AnarchyandChaosInc

Reaction score
Damn, I have been slacking a bit. I am going to try to respond it all.

This project sounds really awesome! I'm not headed that way anytime soon, but I'll be keeping tabs on you guys and getting in touch when I can. Do you have a blog or anything like that?

The blog I am working on setting up. It is not up yet, though. I do most of the internet public relations type stuff and have been quite busy. I did start making a weebly website that hasn't been published yet. Once it is I will post about it in here. Other than that either here (since this is going so well I will be checking in here a lot more often) or like facebook is the two best places to keep up to date on what's going on with it. We need to upload more pictures and what not. The most recent pictures were taken on my friend's phone and he has yet to send them. So I guess long story short we are working on it. Maybe we should just use a regular blog like website then making our own whole website. I do need to start doing stuff like that more, though.

AnarchyandChaosInc

Reaction score
I live in Pittsburgh currently and would love to pitch in on my days off!

Awesome we could use all the help we can get. I myself the individual actually typing this (this is meant to be a collective account overall but will most likely be me mostly currently but may be someone else sometimes. Actually can only be there on my days off as well. I have a job and a kid. I will send you a message with how to contact me and then i can forward contacts to the people that tend to be onsite more as well. Also I try to be there as much as possible.

AnarchyandChaosInc

Reaction score
Oh, to be at the opposite end of this state right now. That sounds like time worth spending... XD

You guys need a blog or something. I would live to visit you later. :3

Yeah i have been slacking. I am sorry. We definetly do need a blog of some sort or something. That is becoming a bit obvious. I think when i am done in here today if i have time i will go back to working on it. Maybe i will do it the easy way i just use some blog site instead of making the website.

AnarchyandChaosInc

Reaction score
That being said. even if I fail at all that. I will be checking into here and posting updates quite a bit more often I think. So I guess in the mean time you can try following me. I mean in all reality even if I do make a blog most of what I would post in there I would probably post in here as well. I really should probably make the blog, though. I can post the link in other forums as well and it would streamline it for me. Yeah, i guess the blog is happening.

Reactions: AngelicDirt

AnarchyandChaosInc

Reaction score
hey, i sent ya'll a message but haven't heard back yet. any updates?

Yeah sorry about that. Basically besides trying to recruit just trying to prep for planting in spring. Also if we get the materials would like to try building a rocket mass heater for winter. Gotta keep my eye out for that. But yeah i already messaged you back this time so I guess i dont have to repeat it.

AnarchyandChaosInc

Reaction score
Just a quick note about winter. Because well Winter is a thing in Pittsburg and we would like to winterize the place with rocket mass heaters if possible. Just if you're going to be here through fall or winter please be prepared for that. There used to be a group called operation safety net that gave out zero degree bags but I am not sure if they do that anymore. Either way, we want to winterize the place to where one would not be necessary...but that in all reality probably isn't happening before this winter season. That being said here is a list of some ideas and what not I originally sent in a message to Matt Derrick when he asked about what we plan on doing about winter. I imagine others will have the same question.

Well, I have camped through the winter before. It's not so bad if you have the proper sleeping bag and what not. That being said is definitely not for everybody. Also, we are thinking of attempting to build what is called a rocket mass stove or rocket mass heater. I think I am just going to get you a Youtube video instead of trying to describe it too much. It's basically a modified highly efficient cob oven (we are going to need hay or straw to do this). Parts we want to experiment with is using this tech to make heated benches and social areas. Which is the crappiest part of winter. Once it is bedtime and you have the proper sleeping bag it's not so bad at that point. So I guess my answer overall is we are working on it. Operation safety net used to give out 0-degree sleeping bags. I am not too sure if they still do. But we are working on ideas. I guess if people don't feel like they are equipped to make it through winter and don't have an alternative they should wait till a warmer season to visit. We are coming up with solutions and we will normally at least have a fire for warmth. Hopefully, we can adapt rocket mass stoves or heaters to the outdoors setting. We have had a couple ideas like with rocket mass heaters the risk of fire goes way down. Basically, with a rocket mass heaters "exhaust" system we can make heated benches or ground. I think. We have to experiment a bit still. I haven't seen to much about them being used in an outdoor situation. This link is kinda a basic quick introduction to it. http://www.rocketmassstove.com/rocket-mass-stoves/
We haven't built any yet. We need to get the barrels and what not still. We are keeping an eye out. I might even buy the materials if I have to. But basically we are looking into heating common areas with this..also just now looking it up apparently some people have been adapting it to tents as well (rocket mass heaters have no smoke because of how efficient they are) We plan on experimenting with this. Also finding how natives used to cope with the Pittsburgh weather and adapting that. We are working on it basically. Here is a youtube video with different variations some of which (like the Tee Pee one) looking at experimenting with
The Tee Pee version heated that Tee Pee to about 55 degrees in negative 26 degree weather. So that's kinda the ideas we are playing with. Hopefully, we get the materials to attempt to at least try once before winter actually hits. This is a relatively new idea I (the one writing this) proposed. I think it will work. Winter in Pittsburgh can suck, though. The rocket mass heater building is definitely something we will be filming whenever we do it.

We are specifically interested in the ring of fire model and the tee pee model for obvious reasons. They are directly appliable to our outdoor situation.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads