waterproofing boots | Squat the Planet

waterproofing boots

menu

Reaction score
so I bought a new pair of hawthornes. nice boots. I put this waterproofing on and the shit wont set. do I just need to use a hair dryer?

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
It's not supposed to set. It's supposed to wick in to the pores of the leather. That means the leather has to be hot enough that whatever waxes they use are runny so it can wick in.

You need to get the leather hot enough that it feels warm when you put your hand inside and the wax on the outside flows like melted butter. It's best to heat the boot before you put the stuff on, but it sounds like it's too late for that, so just take it slow.

You can use a hairdryer, heat-gun or oven, being careful not to overheat the leather or it will shrink and harden. Then you're screwed.

If you're off-grid you can the boots by the fire or stove and put hot rocks rapped in newspaper inside.

I do this once or twice a year. If you've got a good pair of boots it's worth the trouble.

Reactions: Psi em

menu

Reaction score
right man. a friend had a heat gun so I did that. thanks bro

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
use bacon grease or other grease,tallow, or beeswax products at least once/week for leather
that silicone stuff is just overpriced and imho doesn't soak in very well or let your feet breathe
check the web out
Leather boot treatment formula?? [Archive] - Homesteading Today
Understanding Leather Products

whatever you do do it often! you want to keep that leather from drying out and cracking especially in dry climates,also dry your boots out when they get wet or leather will rot

stubby

Reaction score
As far as boot grease goes, Obenaufs has a lot of support from me. For wildland firefighters, it's the industry standard for grease. Plus, it's vegetarian at least for anyone who cares.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
If you use bacon grease or tallow you've got to be careful though. The smell will call in every dog, coyote, and bear in the country. A lot of guys have lost their shoes in the night to hungry critters. I've had mice and rats destroy a good pair of boots by gnawing too, but that takes a little longer.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
marmots are the worst man. they go after the salt in everything you ever touch. Mtn goats were a real nuisance at this jobsite i was working at for a little bit in colorado and theyy'd practicaly drink the piss straight out of your teakettle.

Reaction score
Home is where the heart is and my heart is in my c
If you're rubbing in a beeswax or similar product, you should be rubbing it in fast and hard enough that the heat from your hand heats up the leather and the wax. Make sure to especially get the waterproofing into the seams and thread - that's where it's needed the most.

Zorila

Reaction score
Website
squattheplanet.com
i once saw on tv some dumb motorcycle travelers that wore plastic bags over their socks and claiming it kept their feet dry, i think that there is another benefit to that, no bear or rat will come remotely close to your feet after spending a day with them in plastic bags. noseless idiots

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
I have been told some products with silicone will STRETCH the leather in your boots, and doesn't let them breathe. I just use simple bees wax type products. My feet are healthy, don't smell much, so i guess i'm doing something right. They manage to stay dry, even in one of the wettest parts of the continent where I winter. I put my boots in front of the wood stove for an hour before gooping them, and always take out the laces (and replace them) to get in all the hard to get spots. Getting in the stitching is important. I find wool socks are good in these kind of boots. Cotton socks SUCK! I carry lots of clean socks, and let my feet and boots breathe several times a day. My feet generally feel good to go when I look after them. I have had palantir fasciitis (painful foot condition in the tissues on the bottom of the feet), from carrying packs that are to damn heavy, and not having full shank heavy boot. A good few pairs of proper boots, and less crap in my pack when I travel have fixed that.

D

Deleted member 2626

I've used bacon grease on moccasins and it does work. But yeah if your in the backcoutry where bears are a problem then it's not a good idea. Grizz or browns aren't somthing to fool with. Hell havin a black bear come into your camp isn't fun either.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
Boots need to be cleaned well to accept oils/conditioner. Saddle Soap being one of the most popular, I believe. Could be your boots are just clogged, or need to be warmer to set.

Try not to use artificial heat, radiators/ovens are not good at all for leather. Also anything too abrasive will rip at the fibers of the leather. I use mink oil or neatsfoot oil on boots to condition and help waterproof. There's also sno seal and obenaufs (I hear this is the best, but its expensive). If you need to be really cheap, I suppose some of the advice above about bacon grease COULD be used, but damned if i'd ever do that unless it was an emergency.
Plain shoe polish alone helps soften and keep leather somewhat water resistant.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads