washington d.c. | Squat the Planet

washington d.c.

wildwerden

Reaction score
i'm not going there anytime soon but i'm digging around for some good spots to hang out at. there's a deaf college there that I can score some floor space at (probably food too). i'm kind of determined to hang around at dc a lot as a home base kinda thing since it's familiar and has a huge deaf population which would be nice for some company that doesn't involve using my voice / ears cause that's goddamn exhausting. i know occupy dc is there but is there anything else? squats, commune kinda things? any of those coffee shops that are open all night and real cozy and artsy? share yr secrets eh? also how are the people there towards travellers / bums?

rails2rails

Reaction score
DC has become a two-dimensional $ town. It was always headed in that direction but now it is full of yupploids. If you ain't got the dough-re-me, you're nothing there. I say this having lived there 37 years off and on. Check out 'Kramer Books & Afterwards' just north of Dupont Circle, that's a good spot. Not many others. Galludet Univ. is the deaf school, those kids like to party at bars around Eastern Market, just east of Capitol Hill. Not a good town to be low in coin......

M

Monkeywrench

^^ spot on.

Adams-Morgan is full of bars and drunk people and lots of free pizza if you're clever. I'm from DC and can't think of anything for travelers or bums to get into other than trouble.

Everything closes pretty early (because most people are bridge & tunnel govt employees and pour out of the city come 5pm).

The city has been redesigned in the past 10-15 years for the wealthy and young/hip crowd that is either working there, going to school or visiting with loads of money. Not very welcoming to travelers, but there's always an exception.

The Black Cat used to have some crusties working that were always cool with traveling kids. Not sure anymore. Haven't been in years.

Upside: VERY easy to leave DC. $7 will get you to Baltimore on the MARC, $3 will get you south to Alexandria on the Metro where you can hop out.
Good luck!

Tom Polono

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Georgetown is cool...I recommend the burbs though. The C&O canal trail starts in Georgetown and goes for miles and miles and connects with the Appalachian trail in Harper's Ferry which is a historic town. If you dont wanna walk take the MARC train to Harpers Ferry for 9.00 and you can camp out there by the river...another stop is Shepardstown which is a anothr cool college town. Closer in is Alexandira which is on the METRO and you can hike back on the bike trail system. If you are a train nut I recomend the La Salle VRE Commuter train platform for CSX Juice train action.

Micheala

Reaction score
You're better off just coming to Baltimore.

Ayurveda78

Reaction score
Yeah DC is not good unless you got cash. Cheap metro/bus options to get away from area. Long time traveler and it's my hometown, which I do not enjoy as a traveler

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads