Vus insurances (1 Viewer)

Nipplez

Lurker
Current Location
Springfield MO
So my brother just got a bus and we are looking for around for insurance, anyone got loads on cheap insurance

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

mouse

Current Location
Dallas
Based on GVWR it might have to be commercial ($$$) insurance. Depending on the state, when you get it converted you may be able to registered as an RV for cheaper rates.

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Current Location
Mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
Step 1. Convert so that bus can be titled as a motorhome. States vary but installing some/all of the following depending on your state.
Cooking appliance with onboard fuel source
Gas or electric fridge (many RVs have propane/ac refrigerators that run on propane when not hooked to shore power. ie while driving if without an adequate converter/generator)
Toilet with exterior evac
Heat/AC with power other than engine
Potable (drinkable) water supply. (some states allow for simple gravity fed systems that feed a faucet/basin from a 5 gallon bucket)
110v power supply
have adequate seatbelts Things You Need To Know About RV Seat Belt Laws - RVshare.com - https://rvshare.com/blog/things-need-know-rv-seat-belt-laws/

Step 2: Title as motorhome.
Step 3. Register/insure/inspect said RV/motorhome. (All motorhomes only require class D license with RV insurance even if vehicle is over GVW w Air Brakes despite what @mouse wrote above). You can even convert an extended frame tractor trailer with multiple rear axles/airbrakes & 13 speed+transmission to a motorhome and this still applies. Commercial insurance/CDL would only be required if carrying passengers as a bus or other commercial vehicle. By titling as a motorhome you formerly extricate the vehicle from any commercial to use exclusively for personal/recreational use.
Step 4: Drive off into the sunset

PS There are plenty of Skoolie websites that discuss anything & everything about this topic in depth. Much of that info is likely shared here on STP but this should get you started.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Corvus Introductions 1
Similar threads
Corvus from Cascadia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

I'm leaving MN in Spring!
Does anyone here have experience with shops yard in L.A., i could use a little advice.
Hey all, been a while, a lot has happened! A little update, my bf got charged with domestic & my shoulder is sprained: things are in the works right now and my plan is to get an RV & GTF outta here!
If I had one more freight hop left in me, maybe two, I would take an NS 27A (auto rack) to Macon, get shuttled to Warner Robins to visit my friends since I haven't seen them for quite a while, then head back to Macon. Next up, maybe I would stay put under a skirted piggyback heading southbound to Jacksonville just to explore the Macon/Valdosta districts.
who's in Grand Junction Colorado?
Feelin all bougie with a vehicle! Bigger badder adventures!
new bucket list. the national parks. all of them
Trying to hitch out this week!!