News & Blogs Virginia's blood-stained GWARbar is the most heavy metal dive bar in America

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Virginia's blood-stained GWARbar is the most heavy metal dive bar in America
https://roadtrippers.com/stories/gw...n-virginia-the-most-metal-dive-bar-in-america

Long considered one of the most brutal bands in history (and the only ones that openly claim they're from outer space), GWAR now have another accolade to hang beside the severed heads of their foes: bar owners. Meet the GWARbar, the most metal dive bar ever.

tyhhot5mmvyfufjnvool.jpg

GWARbar / Facebook
After knocking around in their twisted brains for a few years, the members of GWAR, including the late Dave Brockie (who fronted the band as Oderus Urungus), finally went ahead their plan to bring "intergalactic junk food" to Richmond, Virginia. Don't worry, unlike their live shows, they promise not to drench customers in too much fake blood.

Located in the historic Jackson Ward arts district of Richmond, the GWARbar has rounded up some of the area's best chefs to whip up food that, while ridiculously-named, guitarist Mike Derks (aka Balsac the Jaws of Death) says is "foodie food for people who aren’t foodies." Said munchies include Scumdogs (house-made sausages), McDuckets (nuggets made with duck, chicken, cheese, and truffles), Chicken Wangs, and Jizmac and Cheese. I told you the names were ridiculous.

o0ddtn6p9vhmaavc1pnt.jpg

As if the food wasn't enough, the band has also partnered with Cigar City Brewing from Tampa, Florida, who will be supplying the bar with a few custom beers like GWAR Impaled Pale Ale and GWAR Killsner. More of a mixed drink kind of metalhead? Don't worry, because you can always order a potent "Alien Secretion" in a custom-designed GWAR Tiki mug.

ez55at9003wrxopslj4g.jpg

GWARbar / Facebook
In addition to serving some killer food and creative cocktails, the bar also serves as a kind of museum for the band, housing a rotating collection of the craziest GWAR memorabilia, from intergalactic weaponry to one of Oderus Urungus' full costumes. But while the GWARbar is a testament to one of the most creative metal bands in history, Derks says that you don't have to be a "weirdo" to find something to love about the new establishment.

k7fvgwr6qjzwubnsy4ix.jpg

GWARbar / Facebook
“It’s a place where foodies can come and find weird stuff but people who aren’t really foodies can come and find stuff that’s really familiar and comfortable to them,” Derks told Richmond Magazine. “They can indulge their inner child but in an adult way.”

For more on the GWARbar, including hours, images, and turn-by-turn directions, click here.

Want to explore some more metal-themed businesses? Feast your eyes on Arizona's Alice Cooper's Attic & Thrift Store, Chicago's heavy metal burger heaven Kuma's Corner, or TRVE Brewing Co., Colorado's most blasphemous brewery.

D

Deleted member 125

gwar bar it opened right around the time richmond punks long beloved Empire closed so it kinda tried to take its place, and it sort of has although i dont really goto bars anymore the few times ive been here havnt been too memorable. i guess i just had a shit ton of memories at empire (punks for presents, the xmas shows, shit i even met my partner there) the vegan flattus is really good though and in true richmond fashion they have a deal where you get a shot of whiskey and a pbr for 5 bucks.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads