vicious cycle of the 9-5 the mans got me man

S

Stephen O Roach

The less that I have the happier that I am .The more that I have the more miserable that I am.The mans got his claws so dug deep into me that I'm drowning man I want to ditch the 9-5 say screw all this jazz and hit the open road again .I'm only 23 and here I am man working like a dog like a slave man csptialism has Mr in its grips I'm drowning man ..Time for a long long trip on the open road...

Hylyx

Reaction score
I'm right there with ya. had a full time job for about 4 whole months and feel like I'm about to go crazy, workin 6 days a week and sometimes 12 hours a day. Been about 10 hours a day all this week.
At least I get paid overtime and have been able to save a little. But every time a train passes by the shop at getting-on speed it's so hard to not say "fuck you all I'm out" and get on. But hey, i do get to watch and take notes of trains at work. I'm a foamer now!
Soon, itchy feet, soon.

Reactions: Mankini and Odin

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Here's a nickel's worth of free advice from someone who's been there and done that.

GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!

Yep, I yelled that shit, too.

For 30 years, I did what I was "supposed" to do and what did it get me?

When my company sold to another, I was offered a promotion, given tons more responsibility and a raise.

Then, when the new company got what they wanted out of all of us (they never wanted us...just our giant client list) they started culling en masse...and after years of loyal service, I was kicked to the curb, like garbage with the oh, I'm so sorry reasoning... "We just can't afford you, anymore."

I didn't know at the time, but it was the best thing to ever happen to me.

My point is...don't waste your life. The American dream does NOT exist and you don't want to end up like me...pushing 50 and just starting the know the taste of freedom, liberation and peace.

Best of luck!

S

Stephen O Roach

I'm right there with ya. had a full time job for about 4 whole months and feel like I'm about to go crazy, workin 6 days a week and sometimes 12 hours a day. Been about 10 hours a day all this week.
At least I get paid overtime and have been able to save a little. But every time a train passes by the shop at getting-on speed it's so hard to not say "fuck you all I'm out" and get on. But hey, i do get to watch and take notes of trains at work. I'm a foamer now!
Soon, itchy feet, soon.
Whats killing me is the mandatory overtime I can relate to the those long hours I work for amazon atm just put in my 2 week notice though... Working 0:600-1:900 su ks

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
It's sad how many of us "older" travelers have the same story.

Yes, I wish I had the idea to travel much earlier.

On the other hand, at the moment I'm in a situation where I can try out traveling/different lifestyles without burning too many bridges and with a kind of safety net - for the time being at least.

And ... I don't have to worry about risking my graduation (won't anyway), risking a promising career (won't have any) or risking my monetary savings (don't have any). In other words ... I have not much to loose. ;)

With 20-25 I would have been way too shy and "play-it-safe" to travel anyway.

Reactions: Mankini and Odin

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
Yes, I wish I had the idea to travel much earlier.

On the other hand, at the moment I'm in a situation where I can try out traveling/different lifestyles without burning too many bridges and with a kind of safety net - for the time being at least.

And ... I don't have to worry about risking my graduation (won't anyway), risking a promising career (won't have any) or risking my monetary savings (don't have any). In other words ... I have not much to loose. ;)

With 20-25 I would have been way too shy and "play-it-safe" to travel anyway.
I definitely understand that.

I came from hillbilly, but well off parents.

They worked, saved and though they never forgot their roots, my family was definitely upper middle class.

I was never raised to flaunt money or put on airs so I lived a sheltered life.

In no way was I ready to travel, in my younger years.

Only now, after some rough life lessons, do I think I'm ready for the hard knocks that life will throw at you.

[emoji57]

Last edited by a moderator:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Unfortunately I am stuck.

I've actually retired from a company when the division was sold and I took a buy out after 17 yrs. Enjoyed a couple years off - 1st year I got my regular paycheck AND unemployment. A year of playing some high end games, drugs and traveling. But reality hit again. And now unfortunately I'm on some very expensive drugs. Need the insurance. Drug I'm being weaned off - w/o ins - $6800/yr - w ins - $5 a month (freaking big pharms and their big glossy brochures - I even have my own nurse who comes to my house to talk to me - good grief!!) - new drug that I just picked up that has less cancerous side effects is - w/o ins $2000/MONTH. wtf (it's new on market - been tested for 10 yrs though) - I pay $8. So I need the job and my job is going to hell and will be looking 1st of the year (need to take two trips this Fall - STP and florida) - wish I could have gone off the grid a while ago but now I cannot :( Plus I have three kitties who rely on me.

Go for it while you can!!!

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
Outside of Tampa. Florida's a LONG state, and we're really far apart (at least five hours) but if you ever get down this way, let me know. :)

Reactions: Kal

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
Unfortunately I am stuck.

:(

But you're right. There can be always health issues or obligations keeping you from traveling. I'm happy that my parents (I'm very close with) are doing okay atm and my health is just good enough. (I live a quite unhealthy life - too much cigs and beer, no sports.)

When, when not now?

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
In my 20s I traveled on my thumb, by truck, train, car and motorcycle all over the US, Mexico and Canada. Then I spent 20 years working, with a house, a lawn, a car and all that jazz. I can't complain too much because my high tech job sent me all over the world on their dime, so for that alone, it was worth it.

Then, in 2010 I became "obsolete" and spent a short time looking for new employment and being told I was "overqualified" (short hand for too old, too expensive, etc.).

When it became apparent that my $ was almost gone and no job was in sight, I let the bank have the house and the car, took time off and lived on the road with $0 and relived my 20s, with lots of excitement and lots of interesting new people in the mix.

My gear began to wear out so I went to the woods to think and had a bit of a brainstorm.

Following my vision in the woods, I came back to civilization, remade myself as a consultant and am now working a one year contract in what I plan to be my last tech job ever.

I am upgrading the equipment I have been using since 2010 and living a very spartan existence so that 2/3 of what I am currently making is going into a savings account.

Come April 2016, I will pick up my new fancy pack with my new fancy tent and sleeping bag, pop-can stove, etc. and hit the trail for a year, walking through the wilderness with a small tribe of friends, reliving a nomadic hunter gatherer lifestyle. The money in the bank account will be for- when/if I decide to re emerge into civilization.

And away we gooooo.....

It's never too late to give the system the finger.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
In my 20s I traveled on my thumb, by truck, train, car and motorcycle all over the US, Mexico and Canada. Then I spent 20 years working, with a house, a lawn, a car and all that jazz. I can't complain too much because my high tech job sent me all over the world on their dime, so for that alone, it was worth it.

Then, in 2010 I became "obsolete" and spent a short time looking for new employment and being told I was "overqualified" (short hand for too old, too expensive, etc.).

When it became apparent that my $ was almost gone and no job was in sight, I let the bank have the house and the car, took time off and lived on the road with $0 and relived my 20s, with lots of excitement and lots of interesting new people in the mix.

My gear began to wear out so I went to the woods to think and had a bit of a brainstorm.

Following my vision in the woods, I came back to civilization, remade myself as a consultant and am now working a one year contract in what I plan to be my last tech job ever.

I am upgrading the equipment I have been using since 2010 and living a very spartan existence so that 2/3 of what I am currently making is going into a savings account.

Come April 2016, I will pick up my new fancy pack with my new fancy tent and sleeping bag, pop-can stove, etc. and hit the trail for a year, walking through the wilderness with a small tribe of friends, reliving a nomadic hunter gatherer lifestyle. The money in the bank account will be for- when/if I decide to re emerge into civilization.

And away we gooooo.....

It's never too late to give the system the finger.
Very cool.

I hope you keep a journal. I'd love to hear all about it.

Reactions: Brother X

Brother X

caput gerat lupinum
Reaction score
Website
www.thepsychopath.org
@Andrea Van Scoyoc ^ Yeah, I will be keeping a paper journal which I will transcribe into a website when I return. IF I return. ;)

Reactions: Andrea Van Scoyoc

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
@lone wolf

I'm talking about "modern society's" idea of the American dream.

Being as most of my Melungeon heritage IS of the natives of this land, I don't even bother to go back that far.

I hold no grudge and choose to move forward, not backward.

Life is too short.

If I held grudges, I'd have to deny good portions of my heritage... being as I descend from nothing but savages... Vikings, Celts, Ostra and Visi Goths (two different branches of the same tree) Huns, Gypsies, Religious crusaders (which is ironic considering my feelings on religion) etc...all of which I'm extremely proud of.

Otherwise, I'd have to hate myself because parts of my ancestors spent a good portion of their time destroying each other, as well as everyone else.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads