Utility Belt Project

L

LeftCoast

I am making utility belts from industrial grade Filson's material. Tin cloth's thick canvases and maybe some leather in the mix.

My question is, what would YOU GUYS want to see on a utlity belt? What kind of pouches, pockets, zippered sotrage compartments and such? Has anyone ever wanted a utility belt? I have based some off of military design, but have greatly improved the functionality of some of the components. What would you think would be convenient? What would you carry in it? What do you find too bulky or too small? Your input will be greatly appreciated and be put towards my next utility belt.

Thoughts and discussion include:
Buckle/clasp mechanism
Patterns of potential components (even rough drafts sketched on napkins :) )
Preferred fabrics (what do you think would be the most logical?)
Interchangeable parts/components (ideas, thoughts, alternatives etc)
Versatility and universal compatability
Alice clip/MOLLE accesory compatability (perhaps optional interchangable components?)

For those of you who reply and offer constructive criticism, you will be put into a raffle to receive one of these utility belts free of cost! I'll even pay the postmaster to ship it :) I ship to Europe, Australia and North America only. As South America is pretty rough with corruption and most of asia being a burden to ship to. With all of this being said, all of the folks who reply with actual advice, suggestions, and opinion, you will be added to a list which will be randomized and one person will be selected.

Any and all mentions, small talk, suggestions, educated guesses, and potential design changing ideas would be great and are VERY valued to me.

Reactions: RSTY802510

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Reaction score
the alice idea is a good cool, idk what its called but ive found belts and pouches from ww2 and it has a bent wire like thing to attach it instead of a clip or button, cause i always lose the alice clips,
DSC06735.jpg

like these,

L

LeftCoast

Has anyone had experience with Velcro for pocket enclosures? I am pretty unfamiliar with Velcro as I fucking despise the shit out of it, but I am willing to open up my ignorant eyes and see what all the hype is about on this Velcro deal. I thought that most Velcro only has a certain amount of pulls on it before the fibers start to give way? I also did some research and apparently there is a bunch of different kinds of Velcro, from plastic/acrylic to denim. The actual two connecting materials are loops and hooks..... I wonder which of these would be best suitable for something. Also, in regards to shapes of pockets, what would be the ideal shapes? What about combinations? Any thoughts?

Both you you two have been submitted for my belt giveaway :)

L

LeftCoast

the alice idea is a good cool, idk what its called but ive found belts and pouches from ww2 and it has a bent wire like thing to attach it instead of a clip or button, cause i always lose the alice clips,
DSC06735.jpg

like these,

I have always loved the shit out of these things. I usually used the alice series "med boxes"
3794u34331b.jpg

i think these are quite nifty. I just dont like how the alice clips sometimes disappear. Shit pisses me off so much. I am making a more shallow version of these and putting them on a panel. I'll post a picture when I get where them done later tonight.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
im definitely interested in this. i don't have any suggestions at the moment, but ill let you know if i do.

L

LeftCoast

As promised, it might have taken a while, but here are the pictures of what I have made so far involving those little med boxes from the alice era. Thoughts?

IMG_0534_zpsf113ebc5.jpg

IMG_0537_zps49fcae2d.jpg

IMG_0539_zps88e8be45.jpg

IMG_0540_zpsb83b252e.jpg

IMG_0541_zpsc38b5a79.jpg

IMG_0543_zpse885dc97.jpg

IMG_0545_zps71fb36b3.jpg

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
That looks really good. I can't machine-sew for shit, so I bought some ammo pouches from an Army Navy Surplus store and threaded them onto a belt. The leather is really stiff so it's kind of hard to put stuff in them, but they work pretty well:
eZYYaC4.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: Road Hobbit

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads