Banned User Cornelius Vango banned for being emotionally abusive IRL (1 Viewer)

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Staff member
Current Location
Bellingham, WA
After days of talking it over, the staff here at StP found it necessary to place Cornelius Vango in the Untrustworthy and Shady forum. Today, we have decided to ban them from the site. Please know that this decision was not made lightly and that it is something that was discussed at length among all staff members.

We do not ban people over personal issues. If you read the thread that started this whole thing, you will see multiple people attesting to the fact that Cornelius has proven on multiple occasions to be an emotionally abusive person who has long used their position on this site, their Youtube channel, and their status in the nomad community to repeatedly avoid repercussions and responsibility for their abuse of other people.

After placing the thread in the Untrustworthy section, we have decided it is best to also ban them. We do not want to give abusers a voice on Squat the Planet and allowing Cornelius to continue participating in the community puts more people at risk.

We understand that a lot of users are going to have mixed feelings about this. You can read through the thread in the Untrustworthy and Shady section, take what information is given by their accusers, and make the decision for yourself whether or not to place trust in this person. We can’t stop you from associating with Cornelius. We just don’t want them hanging out in our online community after they have done so much damage to others.

Again, we do not ban people for revenge or over petty squabbles. It is true that the issue involves several members of the StP staff but Cornelius’ actions have affected others, both on StP and elsewhere, and we collectively decided that banning them was the right move. We take accountability very seriously and we, the staff, will always try to hold our own accountable for their actions.

I think most of what can be said has been said in the other thread. Folks clearly have strong opinions about Cornelius and I’m sure folks will have similarly strong opinions about our decision to ban them. This thread is open for discussion but we ask that people keep the conversation civil and level-headed.

-MolotovMocktail, on behalf of StP staff

Issued to: Cornelius Vango
Issued by: MolotovMocktail
Ban date: Sep 26 2019
End date: Never
Reason: Emotionally abusing StP users and others IRL

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

autumn

Lurker Admin
Current Location
Slab City
This has been very poorly handled. Pretty much the entire thread was a bunch of people explaining why respecting people's pronouns is stupid, and that's now immortalized as an untrustworthy thread. How does that make sense?

How about instead of clusterfucking the thread into the untrustworthy section, you could have taken the 3 posts (out of 5 pages) that are pointed and put those in their own thread? Would've taken 15 seconds.

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
This has been very poorly handled. Pretty much the entire thread was a bunch of people explaining why respecting people's pronouns is stupid, and that's now immortalized as an untrustworthy thread. How does that make sense?

How about instead of clusterfucking the thread into the untrustworthy section, you could have taken the 3 posts (out of 5 pages) that are pointed and put those in their own thread? Would've taken 15 seconds.
Capital idea! Go ahead and indicate the 3 relevant posts and I'll insert them into a link in a new thread.

Last edited:

Engineer J Lupo

Increasingly aggressive bro
Staff member
Current Location
530 Rackerby, California
Website
youtu.be
I can't really see a reason why anyone would be upset over this. "I'm disassociating myself from STP". If they're disassociating themselves, let it be done.

That isn't really what the entire thread was about. If that's all you took from it, that's all you were looking to take from it. And the reason pronouns were brought up in that thread is because that's the exact shit this entire thing was started over.

autumn

Lurker Admin
Current Location
Slab City
I'm going to use this as an opportunity to draw attention to something: StP doesn't have a history of banning abusers, or even rapists. See: Sirius, caveman, notmyname

I literally physically stopped another member of this site who was in the middle of raping someone, and they weren't banned as a result. There wasn't even a round table discussion about it. And I was an admin at the time, my story backed up by (newly traumatized) witnesses, also from stp.

Meanwhile, verified partner beater Sirius, with his own untrustworthy thread filled with a dozen victims, was allowed to maintain an account on this site for years after being a known abuser

Last edited:

EphemeralStick

Quality Control Queer Commando
Staff member
Current Location
New Orleans
Nontmyname deleted himself before he could be banned for that incident. Action would've been taken sooner however if i remember correctly, you didn't speak up about it until months after it took place. Had any of us known sooner we would've done something.

When people started talking about Sirius his account had been inactive for over a year. When he tried to make a new account to defend himself we merged those accounts. He said he was getting help, we gave him the benefit of the doubt and as soon as we got word he was at it again he was banned immediately.

And as for caveman? I lived with him and Corn for three winters. He was not an abuser and if you don't believe me start asking other people around Slabs or StP.

Similarly to what Sirius tried to do to Dragon, Corn dramatically over exaggerates what he was like while leaving out their own part in their conflicts, they both do this to their past partners in order to shape their current partners opinions and to keep them from contacting each other. There's a great new book that was uploaded to the library section about abusers. It's worth a read.

autumn

Lurker Admin
Current Location
Slab City
Nontmyname deleted himself before he could be banned for that incident. Action would've been taken sooner however if i remember correctly, you didn't speak up about it until months after it took place. Had any of us known sooner we would've done something.
There's a 30 day timer on deleting yourself, his account was active for a long time after I posted the thread. Way longer than was acceptable under any circumstances. Nobody was even talking about banning him in the round table. It wasn't going to happen if he didn't delete himself.

When people started talking about Sirius his account had been inactive for over a year.

Completely false, he was making posts about how he'd changed not too long before that thread was posted. And he was a known abuser even before that, like years.

He was not an abuser and if you don't believe me start asking other people around Slabs
I personally know 3 people who aren't Corn that have confirmed caveman is an abusive piece of shit. I'm not naming any names but he has done some heinous shit to friends of mine after splitting from corn and the slabs

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
There's a 30 day timer on deleting yourself
The timer for account deletions has always been 14 days.

Completely false, he was making posts about how he'd changed not too long before that thread was posted. And he was a known abuser even before that, like years.
Can someone provide links to posts with dates? Otherwise we're all just kind of slinging mud here.

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
If caveman is a piece of shit, and you won't name names, and nobody else here has any idea about anything like that happening, what exactly would you like done? Sirius is gone, just like the person in the thread that you started who was abusive.

Do I agree that it woulda been great if it was done sooner? Yup, sure do. But unless my memory is failing me these things were not discussed (at least publicly on stp or in the staff section) until they were being called out or banned. So how the fuck are we supposed to know things are happening if we are in the dark about them?

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
his account was active for a long time after I posted the thread. Way longer than was acceptable under any circumstances. Nobody was even talking about banning him in the round table. It wasn't going to happen if he didn't delete himself.
I haven't been able to verify this since I can't find their account. Are you sure we have their username correct?

I would also like to remind you that before you start pointing fingers at the rest of the staff, you were an admin for quite a long time, including the dates for which these accounts were active.

I'm not trying to attack you here, I'm just mentioning it for the record. You had more than enough time (months) to bring it up.

As @SlankyLanky mentioned, we're not mind readers, if someone isn't active here it kind of makes it difficult to take action on these situations.

quad8

Nowhere bound...
Current Location
Brunswick, Georgia
Cornelius seemed to be a cool kid and a great contributor at first, that is the only reason I acknowledge his reputation. But to throw himself under the bus while taking several others with him allowed me to see that he could be a ticking time bomb any day now, and he really needs some help, like counseling and rehab and stuff. Sorry to see you go under bad terms, Cornelius, but definitely get some help while you still got the chance.

dumpsternavel

Wanderer
Current Location
Fuck Off Land
Website
m.soundcloud.com
I fucking love STP.
Glad this finally happened..

After enough testimonials occur, It seems as though action usually seems to be taken when it comes to banning users on this site since I've been a member.. Which has been over two years.

@autumn if you wanna discuss the ban of other users.. I'd suggest probably finding those specific bans/discussions of users? Seems more relevant.

Caveman118

Current Location
Fuck off land
I'm going to use this as an opportunity to draw attention to something: StP doesn't have a history of banning abusers, or even rapists. See: Sirius, caveman, notmyname

I literally physically stopped another member of this site who was in the middle of raping someone, and they weren't banned as a result. There wasn't even a round table discussion about it. And I was an admin at the time, my story backed up by (newly traumatized) witnesses, also from stp.

Meanwhile, verified partner beater Sirius, with his own untrustworthy thread filled with a dozen victims, was allowed to maintain an account on this site for years after being a known abuser
Wtf your problem? Do i know you? Ive never laid a finger on any partner in my life. If u dont have proof shut the fuck up cuz your just spouting nonsense that isnt even related if you dont like how shits done. fix it or leave no one cares what you have to say cuz your obviously a lier. Put up or shut up.

Hillbilly Castro

Wanderer
Current Location
Westernville, NY
I'm afraid this is simply too rich of an occurrence for me to resist poking my head in. While I personally never was particularly impressed by Corn, at least relative to the hype surrounding the woman, I must remark that this turn of events is a fitting encore to the public lynching of Creature and other pillars of the vagabond world in the Western US. What remains of us now? Can anyone remain within the "traveler community" for long before someone throws them to the snakes? Were there not voices cautioning against the culture of witch hunts and exiling early on when this tendency cropped up?

It's simply another example of the failure of cultures which cannot emphasize virtually inviolable membership and acceptance within a particular and singular group to its members. The only useful social "glue" in this world is undying loyalty which is motivated by and possessed of a wisdom to see our social relations with an eye toward the long view. The individualistic, hedonistic, live-for-the-moment, "fuck it" aspects of "traveler culture" in the US are already dangerous to the long-term significance of us as a group - but mixed with digital anonymity, bolshevik exiling and public denouncements, they undermine our very existence as a counterpoint to the dominant culture.

Finally, it should be said that "emotional abuse" is not murder. Though I'm not intimately familiar with the details of this case, most of the time this charge is thrown up, it's a forgivable offense which stems from something larger in the individual which needs to be healed. Sure, there are acts for which an individual should be cast out, but this almost certainly ain't one of them. Proof that in a rather nonviolent environment where the stakes are very low, idle people will cook up human dramas on which to get high. I'm not sure why they aren't able to simply stick to beer and highway miles like the rest of us.

Sincerely,
H.C. ([email protected])

Beegod Santana

Wanderer
Current Location
The woods
Well I've been on this site for almost 12 yrs now and have been part of the traveler community for much longer AND pretty much anyone who knows me will tell you I'm kinda a dick a lotta of the time, still haven't been banned though. It's an imperfect system here for sure and I was originally against having any kinda call out section, but it seems to be working on some level.

For the record, Corn said they were leaving the site, they didn't get banned till a whole bunch of people who knew them personally came out and said "this person is bad news, avoid them."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $15.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $15.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $15.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $15.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

The self defense group is going so far so great!
Three years of loving and caring, down the backed up toilet.
I feel uncomfortable with all of the transphobic micro-aggressions being thrown around here lately. I also feel uncomfortable standing up in defense of trans folk, me included, in fear of developing discourse without the consequence of proper accountability.
Barf wrote on Brodiesel710's profile.
There's a fish in the percolator
I'm in NYC. What's good? Anyone wanna kick it? Where can I camp without getting hassled?
Roof vent is installed, fixed the side mirror, mounted the solar panels and ran the wires into the van. Currently working on putting in the floor. It's a lot but I'm making steady progress.
Anyone is Portland wanna kick it for a night and get motey'd up?!
Wowzers I'm glad I was off the site for the duration of The Pronoun Thread, as it's been titled. Holy shit. I know for a fact I would have gotten sucked into it and I'm not sure if that would've been a good thing lol
48 hours from HELL, lost thirteen hundred dollars, thats a fuckload on a pension! lost two ducks to the heat, the key for teh vespa is goign to cost an unbelievable amount says the cheerful vespa mechanic,and i need two new tyres, a new belt and rollersaswell! the generator died, wake up, the dogs cold and dead besides me and for the icing on the cake, lost my fucking bankcard and the bank tellers was a twat to me!!!ANYONE nearby bring booze and cigs and cheer!!!!FARRRKKKKKKK
On the side of the road 8 miles from Paint Rock, TX

Members online