Urbex in Baltimore (1 Viewer)

briancray

Pilgrim
Hometown
Albion, NY
Website
www.bikethe.us
So I know this city has tons of abandoned buildings. I found a few the other night. Me and a buddy tried entering one, but heard a beeping noise and a red light go off...not sure if it was some kind of alarm, but we bounced. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good spots to check out that weren't sketchy like this. If you don't want to post here you can PM me. I'd be really interested. I'll be here for another few days and was looking for some cool warehouses or other shit to explore.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
I know there's a post or two here on StP with a few places in bmore... But it's been so long since I lived there I don't think anything I've been to is still around anymore

goldendose

Hometown
Northern Alaska
was the building that you speak of on Fayette, right behind the Centre Street Light Rail Station?

In Baltimore there are not many 'big name abandoned attractions' like some other cities can claim. There was a big building on the water in Westport but that's donebeengone a long time now.

But if you are searching for industrial type buildings then a good place to start is in West Baltimore, along the tracks.

And Fort Armistead is kind of cool, though there isn't much to it/its not very big. It's got some underground rooms and hallways but its pretty trashed.

OP
briancray

briancray

Pilgrim
Hometown
Albion, NY
Website
www.bikethe.us
Could the beeping/light have been a motion detector or something? Sketchy. You have to jump any fences to get in?
It was a motion sensor of some kind. We bounced after that. I had to jump, pull myself up a windowsill and hop on a brick wall and then jump onto a roof and climb through a window. Once I heard the sound we freaked out, walked back in the room and it beeped and blinked again. There was a cop down the road who flashed his lights so we ran. I didn't know there was that shit in buildings...guess it's to keep out people like myself.

was the building that you speak of on Fayette, right behind the Centre Street Light Rail Station?

In Baltimore there are not many 'big name abandoned attractions' like some other cities can claim. There was a big building on the water in Westport but that's donebeengone a long time now.

But if you are searching for industrial type buildings then a good place to start is in West Baltimore, along the tracks.

And Fort Armistead is kind of cool, though there isn't much to it/its not very big. It's got some underground rooms and hallways but its pretty trashed.
Thanks dude. I'll try to check it out then. As for the street, we tried checking out one of the buildings down the road from Hollins Street. There was another one that was all fenced up that we could get roof access to, but after that motion sensor stuff we decided to call it a night. There's also a crane down the road, but I want to find out more about possible security and such before I try to go climbing that.

I know there's a post or two here on StP with a few places in bmore... But it's been so long since I lived there I don't think anything I've been to is still around anymore
I searched the forum, found that there might be some stuff near Greenmount Cemetery so I might check that out when I get a chance. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jive

Lurker
Hometown
Baltimore, Maryland
The building the other dude spoke of behind the centre street lightrail has a bowling alley in the basement apparently. Haven't been in there myself. There's and old rubber factory by woodberry lightrail, and Mayfair theatre on Howard street also along the lightrail. An abandoned building it's connected to was recently on fire, so not sure if they're more uptight on it now.

OP
briancray

briancray

Pilgrim
Hometown
Albion, NY
Website
www.bikethe.us
The building the other dude spoke of behind the centre street lightrail has a bowling alley in the basement apparently. Haven't been in there myself. There's and old rubber factory by woodberry lightrail, and Mayfair theatre on Howard street also along the lightrail. An abandoned building it's connected to was recently on fire, so not sure if they're more uptight on it now.
Thanks man. Mayfair is a few miles away from where I'm at. Gonna check it out tomorrow or the next day to scope it out. Hopefully there isn't heavy security.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
Ooohhh shit son, I totally spaced Glendale... It's not exactly in bmore, but between there and DC. Old tuberculosis hospital with a school in it. It's divided into two parts that are connected by an underground tunnel. Shit fuck this I'm gonna get on my laptop and post some pics

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Glenn Dale, MD/@38.9632936,-76.8131631,591m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89b7e98b6452fa81:0x95e12b8238674ef9

http://dcist.com/2013/12/abandoned_dc_glenn_dale_hospital_an.php#photo-1

the above is a google map link, and the second link is a blog i just found randomly about it by googling. unless things have radically changed in the past few years, ignore what it says about the police. it's an extremely quiet neighborhood. just park a few blocks away and walk in at night and you'll be fine. on a difficulty scale of 1-10, it's a 4, so not hard at all. i've been there 2-3 times over the past 10 years or so, it's pretty cool and worth visiting. the basement and the attic are the best parts, but the school (on the east side of the property) is pretty awesome too.

attached is a bunch of images i took from my trip in 2006.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
briancray

briancray

Pilgrim
Hometown
Albion, NY
Website
www.bikethe.us
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Glenn Dale, MD/@38.9632936,-76.8131631,591m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89b7e98b6452fa81:0x95e12b8238674ef9

http://dcist.com/2013/12/abandoned_dc_glenn_dale_hospital_an.php#photo-1

the above is a google map link, and the second link is a blog i just found randomly about it by googling. unless things have radically changed in the past few years, ignore what it says about the police. it's an extremely quiet neighborhood. just park a few blocks away and walk in at night and you'll be fine. on a difficulty scale of 1-10, it's a 4, so not hard at all. i've been there 2-3 times over the past 10 years or so, it's pretty cool and worth visiting. the basement and the attic are the best parts, but the school (on the east side of the property) is pretty awesome too.

attached is a bunch of images i took from my trip in 2006.
Matt, the above google map link, is that the exact location or just close to it? We were thinking about hitting it up today. Heard police patrol the area, kinda wish they just had security guards, since those guys normally don't give a fuck and they are pretty chill. Regardless, it looks like a pretty sweet spot to check out. Thanks for the info.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Hometown
Austin, TX
Website
youtube.com
Matt, the above google map link, is that the exact location or just close to it? We were thinking about hitting it up today. Heard police patrol the area, kinda wish they just had security guards, since those guys normally don't give a fuck and they are pretty chill. Regardless, it looks like a pretty sweet spot to check out. Thanks for the info.
no offense, but it should be fairly obvious just looking at it... but, yes, it is :)

there's a guard shack in the middle of the property with one guy in it, i've never seen him leave it though. just be quiet when taking the main underground tunnel across the property, as it passes by somewhat near the guard shack, but you're like 20ft below ground so it's not a huge deal.

park up on the north end by 953 & electric ave, you should be fine there.

OP
briancray

briancray

Pilgrim
Hometown
Albion, NY
Website
www.bikethe.us
it's been many years, so i can't guarantee anything, but i rarely saw cops on patrol out there, and there's only one security guard that i know of. i doubt much has changed.
Thanks. I clicked the link again and I guess I deleted part of it last time which is why it didn't work. Might do this or Forest Haven. Trying to figure it out.

Hometown
Anytown, USA
2 places I know of in east Baltimore... one on eastern ave across from Bayview hospital and another in dundalk across from dundalk high school.. if you go to either make sure to enter/exit on the railroad tracks

Jive

Lurker
Hometown
Baltimore, Maryland
2 places I know of in east Baltimore... one on eastern ave across from Bayview hospital and another in dundalk across from dundalk high school.. if you go to either make sure to enter/exit on the railroad tracks
Ah yeah. Pemco, and pure rye distillery.

Both those places were really torn up by vandals and scrappers last I checked. Still fun. But be careful. The distillery by the high school is on fire a lot . So it might be hot (pun intended) and pemco across from the hospital is also near a police station. But I havnt had a problem with either, and I saw recent pics from the distillery. So it must be ok.

OP
briancray

briancray

Pilgrim
Hometown
Albion, NY
Website
www.bikethe.us
Thanks man. I'm no longer in Baltimore. Hit up Collegeville for a little. Think I have fucking mono as I've been sick as fuck for three weeks now and it's not getting any better. I might check out the Linfield Industrial Park which is like 7 miles away from where I'm at. Looks pretty fucking cool. Those are some of my favorite places to explore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Juan Derlust wrote on MFB's profile.
Juan Derlust wrote on MFB's profile.
I think your buddy Bukowski put it best Sundays kill more men than bombs
BBQ with STP homies in portland, feeling peaceful
I only feel good when I'm outside, but I gotta stay inside to get school work done.
It's a full-time job to be a good dad
You got so much more stuff than I had
I gotta study just to keep with the changin times
101 Dalmations on your CD-ROM
See me-I'm
Tryin to pretend I know
On my PC where that CD go
i have covid19 can you house me up
Georgia is now lockdown. Let's see if my dumbass neighbors will go out for their drugs.
MFB wrote on LuckyMinnie's profile.
Dooder, Your doggo is EARristable! ;)
Holding treats, yo!